DO school deadlines/requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rx001

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stats: 512(126-CR/128-PS/128-PSY/130-BS)sgpa-3.82, Cgpa-3.86

Letters from
2 research profs
1 from science Prof
1 from non science Prof
1 from EC activity coordinator
50 hours of shadowing
2000 hours of Wet lab research
600 hours of clinical volunteering(300 Hours in a Hospital in Colorado, 300 Hours in Rural health camps overseas. My first 1.5 years of undergrad was done as an international. )
400 hours of non clinical volunteering
700 hours in leadership position for the school organization
20 articles(poetry and prose) published in online journals.mostly health related. Was on my schools poetry editorial board.
Honors thesis publication on research project
As this is a gap year plan to take up a part time clinical job that will add another 1000 hours of paid employment

Don't have the finalized school list yet. will be coming up with 30 low tier schools vs 5 middle tier schools list

How late can we apply to DO schools. This is in case situation where I dont get into MD schools. I have not shadowed a DO yet. Is it required to do it.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You do not need to apply DO.

Stats: 512(126-CR/128-PS/128-PSY/130-BS)sgpa-3.82, Cgpa-3.86

Letters from
2 research profs
1 from science Prof
1 from non science Prof
1 from EC activity coordinator
50 hours of shadowing
2000 hours of Wet lab research
600 hours of clinical volunteering(300 Hours in a Hospital in Colorado, 300 Hours in Rural health camps overseas. My first 1.5 years of undergrad was done as an international. )
400 hours of non clinical volunteering
700 hours in leadership position for the school organization
20 articles(poetry and prose) published in online journals.mostly health related. Was on my schools poetry editorial board.
Honors thesis publication on research project
As this is a gap year plan to take up a part time clinical job that will add another 1000 hours of paid employment

Don't have the finalized school list yet. will be coming up with 30 low tier schools vs 5 middle tier schools list

How late can we apply to DO schools. This is in case situation where I dont get into MD schools. I have not shadowed a DO yet. Is it required to do it.

Thanks
This is one of those few times that I disagree with the wise gonnif. With a 512 MCAT, I think that it's wise to have a few DO schools ont he list...you can always add more if you get no love by T-giving.

The DO cycle is longer, hence the timeline I mentioned.

It is not required to shadow a DO for all schools, but it does help. You will need to rule out schools where this is required though.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is one of those few times that I disagree with the wise gonnif. With a 512 MCAT, I think that it's wise to have a few DO schools ont he list...you can always add more if you get no love by T-giving.

The DO cycle is longer, hence the timeline I mentioned.

It is not required to shadow a DO for all schools, but it does help. You will need to rule out schools where this is required though.

What? With a 3.8+ GPA and a 512 MCAT? Why would OP need to apply to DO schools? I think OP would be fine trying MD the first time with a good school list!!

Reactions: 2 users
Apply early just MD and if you get no interviews within the first few months, then maybe apply DO! I don't think you need to apply DO!

Reactions: 1 user
What? With a 3.8+ GPA and a 512 MCAT? Why would OP need to apply to DO schools? I think OP would be fine trying MD the first time with a good school list!!
I agree. It would be a waste of money and time to apply to DO with those stats. Instead, put the money into applying broadly to different high and low MD for backups.

Reactions: 1 users
I concur that you do not need to bother applying DO and should save your money. I applied early and broadly with similar GPA, MCAT, and ECs and received multiple MD interviews. Armed with a good school list and interview skills, you should be fine. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you all for the replies. Will hold off for a while on the DO application. May by the end of the year I will make a decision if needed.

Thanks again

Reactions: 1 user