DO school MCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dradams

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find average MCAT scores for the DO schools? Since I'm taking the MCAT tomorrow and know approximately what I should get after doing several practice exams.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

dradams said:
Anyone know where I can find average MCAT scores for the DO schools? Since I'm taking the MCAT tomorrow and know approximately what I should get after doing several practice exams.

Thanks.

Generally speaking
Allopathic ~ 27
Osteopathic ~ 25

Though each school is different depending on that particular school.

Good luck on the MCAT tomorrow, go in do you best. Don't rely only on practice tests to let you know where you are cause my scores were completely different than my practice ones.

All the luck in the world to you :luck:
1074.gif

We are cheering you on
057.gif
057.gif
057.gif
057.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope the real scores where higher than the practice tests

Thanks everyone. Yeah, tell me your real score was better than the practice. :oops:

Depends on which practice tests you are referring to. Did you take the actual past ones given by AAMC or are you talking about Kaplan?

My Kaplan ones stunk. My AAMC ones were only a point away from my actual.

Hey, don't get upset now. Now is when you need to be thinking and feeling positive. Don't pych yourself out of doing your best. Just do your best. That is all you can hope for. If you don't do well, there is always August so all will not be lost.

Calm, soothing thoughts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :cool:

I used the AAMC practice tests. Thanks for the soothing words.

Robz said:
Generally speaking
Allopathic ~ 27
Osteopathic ~ 25

27 is rather low for allopathic. I'd say, average of allo acceptance scores, would be more like 28-29.

Robz said:
Generally speaking
Allopathic ~ 27
Osteopathic ~ 25

Though each school is different depending on that particular school.

Good luck on the MCAT tomorrow, go in do you best. Don't rely only on practice tests to let you know where you are cause my scores were completely different than my practice ones.

Allopathic = 29.6
Osteopathic = ~25

again I said generally...if you look at the MSAR most places are around average of 9's. Of course if you look at a Mt. Siani or a Mayo your going to get average of 11's and if you look at a Meharry you might find more of an average of a 26 (where you find the school not releasing those stats as well)

It can also change upon cycle too....

lets say average of 27-29 then :)

Here's an older report, but it may help.

http://www.washington.edu/students/ugrad/advising/gpamcat.pdf

More links. The ones by the AAMC are probably the most acurate since they put the test out and they get all the scores
http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2003/2003mcatgpa.htm (this one has up to 2003.

This one is for scores of applicants that actually were accepted
http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2003/mcatgpastatemat.htm

And this link breaks it down by schools, but the date of these is not listed
http://www.eckerd.edu/academics/nas/premed/MCAT_GPA_List.htm

Kaplan's info
http://www.allthetests.com/mcat/facts/mcat_facts.shtml

Members don't see this ad :)
DrMom said:
The only date I could find on that thing was 1999. Looks pretty old.
Keep looking then. It's the 2003 update.

(nicedream) said:
27 is rather low for allopathic. I'd say, average of allo acceptance scores, would be more like 28-29.

I'll second this notion. I'd say the average MCAT for matriculants is much closer to 30.

JKDMed said:
:laugh: it says 2003 right on the graph.
She knows. She's just pissed off that I gave her some bad karma for her earlier thread bashing students DO students with low MCAT/GPA's.

And I should mention that I received some bad karma myself just for posting that the actual MCAT avgs. for DO schools are 24!

You've gotta love those crazy DO moderators. :D

Eventhough 24 is the average for DO schools as stated by the AACOMAS, each school has their own MCAT averages of matriculants. With each year, it appears as though the averages to individual schools is going up. I'm not saying that someone with a 24 is not going to get in and I do know that to get an average of 26 or 27 (for example: OSUCOM, CCOM, KCOM, TUCOM), the range of MCAT scores will be low 20's to 30+ (but with more scores around or above the average, i'm guessing).

All I'm saying is that a candidate should be aware of the average MCAT score of matriculants to a particular school of interest and pay more attention to that than the national average of 24. I think this would be more helpful to this SMALL part of the complete application. I know I was numbers crazy a while ago, but there's more to the application than NUMBERS...

box29 said:
With each year, it appears as though the averages to individual schools is going up.
Look again, professor. That's exactly what the graph does not indicate.

*yawn* (you have to be DrMom in disguise to say something that wrong. am i right?)

Yes, the graph does indicate a 24 for MCAT of matriculants only with each section on a decrease and does not break it down by individual schools, which I think is also important. I'm not at all trying to discredit what was published in the AACOMAS graphs and literature. But, as someone who has interviewed at KCOM, CCOM, and TUCOM, I can tell you that they did tell us the MCAT average of each matriculating class for KCOM, CCOM, and TUCOM, which is above the national average of 24. KCOM handed me a facts sheets in the packet they distributed to us stating 26 for the Class of 2007 and TUCOMs MCAT average for the Class of 2006 and 2007 is up on their website. I really don't think that they would fudge those MCAT averages of classes that had matriculated. CCOM's director of admissions had also informed the interviewing group of the MCAT average of the Class of 2006 as 26. I am just trying to point out that the national average of the MCAT as 24 is just that - a national average. Each school will differ in MCAT averages of each respective class and that is what someone who is applying should take into consideration.

GOOD LUCK to all applicants and DON'T GIVE UP! :luck: :luck: :luck:

That's a good point box. I too found this to be true. While they say that the average MCAT of matriculants is 24, I found out when I interviewed that the average MCAT of KCOM Class of 2006 was 26. When did you interview there?

box29 said:
I am just trying to point out that the national average of the MCAT as 24 is just that - a national average. Each school will differ in MCAT averages of each respective class and that is what someone who is applying should take into consideration.
We all know what you're trying to say, but you keep making false statements along the way. It's unclear whether really you don't know how an average is calculated or whether you do not believe the data.

For example, you write, "Eventhough 24 is the average for DO schools as stated by the AACOMAS, each school has their own MCAT averages of matriculants. With each year, it appears as though the averages to individual schools is going up." If you assume the graph is correct, then your statement cannot be correct. That is, if the graph shows the average of all schools' score dropping, then all of the individual schools' MCAT scores cannot be on the rise. *Some* of the schools' scores may have increased, but overall the scores have decreased.

Then you argue: "Yes, the graph does indicate a 24 for MCAT of matriculants only with each section on a decrease and does not break it down by individual schools, which I think is also important. I'm not at all trying to discredit what was published in the AACOMAS graphs and literature. But, as someone who has interviewed at KCOM, CCOM, and TUCOM, I can tell you that they did tell us the MCAT average of each matriculating class for KCOM, CCOM, and TUCOM, which is above the national average of 24."
How would increasing MCAT scores, that are above 24, from KCOM, CCOM and TUCOM "discredit what was published in the AACOMAS graphs and literature"? It simply means that at least some of the other schools have lower scores and/or steeper drops.

I'll help you out. Here's what you meant to write: "KCOM, CCOM and TUCOM have average MCAT scores above 24." Stop. Nothing more. You haven't "discredited" any data, nor are you "saying that someone with a 24 is not going to get in." You're simply adding the only piece of data you have and witholding the incorrect statements.

Thanks for clearing up what I wanted to say. Hopefully, all the applicants will place focus on the big picture and not just the numbers...I can understand when people obsess about MCATs as pre-meds, I was there too. Once in med school, MCATs are a thing of the past.

GOOD LUCK to all those applying this cycle! :luck:

WOW!!!! What a bunch of A** clowns! This will be the last thread that I will submit in this area of SDN. Numbers, averages, my school, your school; nonsense. Want to know what it really comes down to? 29Q/3.5/3.5 and I am in the middle of my class. What you have done in the past is of equal importance as the stool that my dog left on the lawn yesterday. Get in, whatever you have to do. Learn medicine. Do your best. Be passionate. Mentor. In the end, when it all comes down to it, we are people treating people in need. No score nor grade nor anus you licked to get a letter will help you when it comes time to communicate to a parent that their child has a new diagnosis of leukemia. If your desire to nurture the health of others has drawn you to this humbling, stressful, self-depraving line of work then do what you have to do to get in where you can. Hopefully you will have a choice that will accomidate personal preferences. If you can make it, go for it. Minimums are there to prevent those who just can't cut it from wasting the time of their potential classmates and instructors. Med school is not easy. It's not difficult, either. A solid work ethic and determination will get you through if you have what it takes to show up (ie an acceptance letter).

HeavyD said:
WOW!!!! What a bunch of A** clowns! This will be the last thread that I will submit in this area of SDN. Numbers, averages, my school, your school; nonsense.

Adios.

Nothing wrong with discussing numbers. After all, this is what gets people in medical school and into the residency of their choice.

There are other worthwhile arguments and discussions relevant to medicine that don't include numbers and stats on this board. Post there if you want.