Do school names matter for MSW/MHC/MFT programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fiona18psych

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

Do schools that are more well-known or more prestigious generally provide better training and job outlook than less prestigious schools?

Examples of more well-known/prestigious schools I’m talking about are UCLA, USC, WashU, etc.; and less prestigious schools are schools such as Cal State schools. (Please don’t get offended by my way of classifications. I know all of these schools are very good)

So should I care about the big school names or should I focus more on their training and coursework? If school names don’t matter, where should I start? I know there are many credited programs out there, so how should I narrow down my choices?

Thank you so much for taking time to read and reply to my question!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

Do schools that are more well-known or more prestigious generally provide better training and job outlook than less prestigious schools?

Examples of more well-known/prestigious schools I’m talking about are UCLA, USC, WashU, etc.; and less prestigious schools are schools such as Cal State schools. (Please don’t get offended by my way of classifications. I know all of these schools are very good)

So should I care about the big school names or should I focus more on their training and coursework? If school names don’t matter, where should I start? I know there are many credited programs out there, so how should I narrow down my choices?

Thank you so much for taking time to read and reply to my question!

Sorry I forgot to mention - I’m looking into terminal masters programs that can get me licensed to practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
in general, no. At the MA level what's important is eligibility for licensure. All programs are pretty much equal. Of course there are exceptions (e.g., Boston College, Teacher's College Columbia) which historically have been, and still are very strong MA programs. In CA, the UCs train doctoral level folks (phds) while the Cal States train MA clinicians; again there are a few exceptions (some CSUs have EdD options). I advise my students to look for public, accredited schools; private schools are good, however the cost is hard to justify for a MA degree.

Reactions: 1 users
You find a school that is near you (within state), is reputable, and cheap.

Reactions: 1 user
As someone with a master's and a doctorate, I agree with others; if it's for a master's to practice psychotherapy only, school names aren't important. CACREP (counseling/MFT programs) or CSWE (social work programs) accreditation are what matters.

Reactions: 2 users
in general, no. At the MA level what's important is eligibility for licensure. All programs are pretty much equal. Of course there are exceptions (e.g., Boston College, Teacher's College Columbia) which historically have been, and still are very strong MA programs. In CA, the UCs train doctoral level folks (phds) while the Cal States train MA clinicians; again there are a few exceptions (some CSUs have EdD options). I advise my students to look for public, accredited schools; private schools are good, however the cost is hard to justify for a MA degree.
Thank you so much!

As someone with a master's and a doctorate, I agree with others; if it's for a master's to practice psychotherapy only, school names aren't important. CACREP (counseling/MFT programs) or CSWE (social work programs) accreditation are what matters.
Thank you!!

It really depends on the school tough. More reputable schools sometimes are also those unwell known schools so better to have knowledge which schools offers best without baring on their School names.