DO school Rankings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LSJST5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where can a find a listing of best to "worst" DO schools?
I have looked through the threads and did not find anything.
If anyone can give me any advice it would help.
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

LSJST5 said:
Thank you

Best school = school you attend
good schools = schools that accepted you
worst schools = ones you didn't get accepted at

seriously, there are no rankings. go on your interviews and choose based on where YOU will be happy, good luck!

DOctorJay said:
Best school = school you attend
good schools = schools that accepted you
worst schools = ones you didn't get accepted at

seriously, there are no rankings. go on your interviews and choose based on where YOU will be happy, good luck!

Okay, then where can i find listing of DO schools with best test scores?
Or am I just stressing?

Members don't see this ad :)
LSJST5 said:
Or am I just stressing?

Why is reputation so important to you? If you really want prestiege with high scores, why not try allopathic top 10 schools? If you go get the on-line edition of U.S. News with best graduate school, you can search each medical school data. If the school reported the scores, they will have them.

you're gonna learn the same human body whether you do it in the middle-o-nowhere missouri or the shrine of AT Still located in Des Moines. Schools don't prepare you for boards, you prepare you for boards. go wherever is cheapest.

Think about it this way: you can have a degree from a "Highly respected Top 10" school and never use it to its potential or have a degree from a virtually unknown school and STILL not use it to its potential. You'll end up at the same place. Just apply what you're taught (by your profs and yourself), work your tail off, take advantage of opportunities and you'll be a competitor for ANY one else (DO or MD) regardless of where the knowledge came from.

LSJST5 said:
Or am I just stressing?
I'm sure you are just stressing. Like the others have mentioned, just go where you think you will like it and feel comfortable. Good Luck!

Thanks
I still may apply to "top" allopathetic school but in my heart of heart I want to be DO.

LSJST5 said:
Thank you

There is no ranking of DO schools. US News and World report lists some of the DO schools in their ranking of medical schools (especially in subcaterogies), but it also includes allopathic schools

Some DO schools publish avg mcat/gpa for accepted applicants, and you can find it in one of the med school online/printed guide books or in the schools web site or catalog. This is one measure of the school's competitiveness. Some other useful information includes average pass rate for board exams.

Personally, I think the best way of finding out how well the graduates of a program do is by looking at their match list for residencies. You should match your expectations with the schools performance. For instance: What kind of specialties do they get? Where do they match geographically? What percentage of them get their top 3 choices? How many of each class does not match into a categorical spot and how many end up scrambing?

There is also no offical listing of match lists. You will have to contact the schools indivdually and request it; many of them provide it (with all identifying information removed) on an individual basis (I can recall getting one from COMP years ago).

Dear anna,
where can i find the match list for residencies? Do I have to ask the schools? also, there are alot ob ob/gyn DO's right?

Thank you for everyone's help.

I truly don't mean to start ANYTHING here but I do have something encouraging to share (at least for KCOM students).

I just began 3rd year rotations at a well known osteopathic institution. This particular hospital staffs about 175 DO's and 120 MD's so there's a good mix. This particular hospital hasn't seen KCOM students for quite some time but has a good amount of KCOM grads in its training programs. Anyhow, I've had three doctors basically say the same thing to me. I'll share what the latest one said since it was just this afternoon. He said, "KCOM...well let me tell you. Out in the allopathic world, you'll get more respect as a DO for going to KCOM than you would for any other school. You definitely have an edge. You'll notice this as you go further in your training. I've had several casual discussions with MD's (I think he used examples such as sitting next to one on a plane or at some conference). When I tell them I'm a DO, they immediately want to know if I went to KCOM, which of course I did. When I tell them I did, they're happy to here it." (end quote)

Now, I for one don't require the satisfaction of knowing that MD's think I'm okay. It's not that big a deal from a degree standpoint. But, lets face it...we work side by side with 'em. Many of us will train in their post-graduate programs. In that sense, I think it's significant.

Oh, and by the way, the hospital I train at is nowwhere near Missouri, so it's not like I'm rotating in St. Louis or KC, where doctors are most aware of the existance of KCOM. I thought this point should be added. Again, I don't mean to start a war. I've already met some very fine students from other schools. I'm just sharing some info I've recieved from those ahead of me.

VALSALVA said:
I truly don't mean to start ANYTHING here but I do have something encouraging to share (at least for KCOM students).

I just began 3rd year rotations at a well known osteopathic institution. This particular hospital staffs about 175 DO's and 120 MD's so there's a good mix. This particular hospital hasn't seen KCOM students for quite some time but has a good amount of KCOM grads in its training programs. Anyhow, I've had three doctors basically say the same thing to me. I'll share what the latest one said since it was just this afternoon. He said, "KCOM...well let me tell you. Out in the allopathic world, you'll get more respect as a DO for going to KCOM than you would for any other school. You definitely have an edge. You'll notice this as you go further in your training. I've had several casual discussions with MD's (I think he used examples such as sitting next to one on a plane or at some conference). When I tell them I'm a DO, they immediately want to know if I went to KCOM, which of course I did. When I tell them I did, they're happy to here it." (end quote)

Now, I for one don't require the satisfaction of knowing that MD's think I'm okay. It's not that big a deal from a degree standpoint. But, lets face it...we work side by side with 'em. Many of us will train in their post-graduate programs. In that sense, I think it's significant.

Oh, and by the way, the hospital I train at is nowwhere near Missouri, so it's not like I'm rotating in St. Louis or KC, where doctors are most aware of the existance of KCOM. I thought this point should be added. Again, I don't mean to start a war. I've already met some very fine students from other schools. I'm just sharing some info I've recieved from those ahead of me.

Not to sound rude but please, gimme a break.

In defense of all the other schools out there I'm sure allopathy doctors have really researched osteopathy schools. :rolleyes:

I'm sure you do think it is significant as you come from KCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
The best school in the world for Osteopathic medicine is....

The one where you will be happy and successful. You could be miserable at one school but very pleased at another. You can like the other students or find them still.... similar with faculty. One may be PBL, which you may like or traditional dictation which another may like. One may have beautiful people... the other... well you get the point. At the end you will still get a degree.. and you will still be able to apply for residency... and you will be able to pay off that big student loan ehheheheeh.

So make sure you enjoy the 4 years... you are paying a lot of money to be there.

LSJST5 said:
Thank you

here is something i found - i think its old (1996)

Osteopathic Medical Schools

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UMDNJ School of Osteopathic Medicine
(Strattford, NJ)
Average MCAT: 8.0
Average GPA: 3.5

West Virginia School of Osteopathic Medicine
(Lewisburg, WV)
Average MCAT: NA
Average GPA: 3.5

Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine
of Midwestern University
Average MCAT: 8.4
Average GPA: 3.4

University of North Texas Health Science Center
Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine
(Fort Worth, TX)
Average MCAT: 8.4

Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine
(Athens, OH)
Average MCAT: 8.2

Oklahoma State University
College of Osteopathic Medicine (Tulsa, OK)

Nova Southeastern University College
of Osteopathic Medicine (FLA)

Michigan State University
College of Osteopathic Medicine

Kirksville College of Osteopathic
Medicine (Kirksville, MO)
Average MCAT: 8.6
Average GPA: 3.3

University of Osteopathic Medicine &
Health Sciences College of Osteopathic
Medicine & Surgery (Des Moines, Iowa)
Average MCAT: 8.1

Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine
(Philadelphia, PA)
Average MCAT: 7.9

University of Health Sciences
College of Osteopathic Medicine
(Kansas City, MO)
Average MCAT: 7.7

College of Osteophathic Medicine
of the Pacific (Pomona, CA)
Average GPA: 3.2

University of New England College
of Osteopathic Medicine (Maine)
Average MCAT: 7.5

New York College of Osteopathic Medicine of New York Institute of Technology
(Old Westbury, NY)
Average MCAT: 7.3

Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine
(Erie, PA)
Average MCAT: 7.2
Average GPA: 3.1

http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~amsa/links/medgpa.html

good luck

LOL... it just wouldn't be a pre-allo or pre-osteo forum if someone didn't post a permutation of that list at least once a month.

Somebody should email the premed advisor (or whoever) posted that list and let them know that is less than current.

That list is making you osteopaths look 'inferior', there is no way an MCAT of 7-9's is competitive these days.
I think most of you guys probably scored at least 10-11's.

stoic said:
LOL... it just wouldn't be a pre-allo or pre-osteo forum if someone didn't post a permutation of that list at least once a month.

Somebody should email the premed advisor (or whoever) posted that list and let them know that is less than current.

the OP wanted some info but nobody was giving him/her any. so that is what i had to offer. i stated it was old. he/she can do with it as he/she sees fit.

DrMom said:
Information that is so old is not helpful to the OP.

its better than all of the "go with your heart" answers that he/she was getting

The problem is that there is no list for DO schools. The OP and everyone else applying needs to contact the schools for their stats and decide for themselves.

DrMom said:
The problem is that there is no list for DO schools. The OP and everyone else applying needs to contact the schools for their stats and decide for themselves.

Yeah, those stats above are pretty old. I agree with you that you would choose a school based on them. I think that decision comes after you interview and take into account many factors.

These stats may be useful for determining whether you are a competitive candidate for these schools (keeping in mind that these anumbers do not guarantee you will or won't be accepted -- in other words, a grain of salt please...)

For residency match lists, which I think is a better tool than admissions stats for deciding where you want to go in addition to other factors (cost, personal feelings, locations, family needs, financial aid offered, etc), the schools have to be investigated separately. The web site above has the url's for all these (and other) schools, and the original poster can inquire via email or phone call (if the school does not post them on the web).

Good luck in the applications process, folks!

Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Average Undergrad GPA (4.0 scale): 3.50
verage MCAT Bio: 9.60
Average MCAT Phys: 9.27
Average MCAT Verbal: 8.13
Average MCAT Essay: NR
Acceptance Rate: 4%

College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
Average Undergrad GPA (4.0 scale): 3.40
Average MCAT Bio: 9.20
Average MCAT Phys: 8.80
Average MCAT Verbal: 8.30
Average MCAT Essay: P
Acceptance Rate: 19%

Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
Average MCAT Bio: 8.50
Average MCAT Phys: 8.50
Average MCAT Verbal: 7.50
Average MCAT Essay: O
Acceptance Rate: 18%

UMDNJ - School of Osteopathic Medicine
Average MCAT Bio: 9.00
Average MCAT Phys: 9.00
Average MCAT Verbal: 8.00
Average MCAT Essay: Q
Acceptance Rate: 11%

Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery
Average MCAT Bio: 8.70
Average MCAT Phys: 8.20
Average MCAT Verbal: 8.20
Acceptance Rate: 25%

Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine
Average MCAT Bio: 8.72
Average MCAT Phys: 8.21
Average MCAT Verbal: 7.86
Acceptance Rate: 13%

Nova Southeastern
Average MCAT Bio: 8.26
Average MCAT Phys: 7.76
Average MCAT Verbal: 7.87
Average MCAT Essay: N
Acceptance Rate: 27%

Pikeville College School of Osteopathic Medicine
Average Undergrad GPA (4.0 scale): 3.30
Average MCAT Bio: 7.64
Average MCAT Phys: 7.08
Average MCAT Verbal: 7.78
Acceptance Rate: 8%

The University of Health Sciences, Kansas City MO
Average MCAT Bio: 8.64
Average MCAT Verbal: 8.09
Acceptance Rate: 24%

Average MCAT Bio: 7.50
Average MCAT Phys: 7.00
Average MCAT Verbal: 7.80

Here's some hard data for the OP. Of course, board scores aren't the only way to assess the quality of education at any school. Nevertheless, it may be helpful. I'm start us off. The average board score for June testtakers from KCOM was 523 (rounded off to the nearest whole number). Do others out there know other school averages? Let's try to help the OP out!

anna said:
Yeah, those stats above are pretty old. I agree with you that you would choose a school based on them. I think that decision comes after you interview and take into account many factors.

These stats may be useful for determining whether you are a competitive candidate for these schools (keeping in mind that these anumbers do not guarantee you will or won't be accepted -- in other words, a grain of salt please...)

For residency match lists, which I think is a better tool than admissions stats for deciding where you want to go in addition to other factors (cost, personal feelings, locations, family needs, financial aid offered, etc), the schools have to be investigated separately. The web site above has the url's for all these (and other) schools, and the original poster can inquire via email or phone call (if the school does not post them on the web).

Good luck in the applications process, folks!

Touro University College of Osteopathic Medicine
verage MCAT Bio: 9.60
Average MCAT Phys: 9.27
Average MCAT Verbal: 8.13
Average MCAT Essay: NR
Acceptance Rate: 4%

College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific
Average MCAT Bio: 9.20
Average MCAT Phys: 8.80
Average MCAT Verbal: 8.30
Average MCAT Essay: P

Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine
Average MCAT Bio: 8.50
Average MCAT Phys: 8.50
Average MCAT Verbal: 7.50
Acceptance Rate: 18%

UMDNJ - School of Osteopathic Medicine
Average MCAT Bio: 9.00
Average MCAT Phys: 9.00
Average MCAT Verbal: 8.00
Acceptance Rate: 11%

Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery
Average MCAT Bio: 8.70
Average MCAT Phys: 8.20
Average MCAT Verbal: 8.20
Acceptance Rate: 25%

Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine
Average MCAT Bio: 8.72
Average MCAT Phys: 8.21
Average MCAT Verbal: 7.86
Acceptance Rate: 13%

Nova Southeastern
Average MCAT Bio: 8.26
Average MCAT Verbal: 7.87
Acceptance Rate: 27%

Pikeville College School of Osteopathic Medicine
Average Undergrad GPA (4.0 scale): 3.30
Average MCAT Bio: 7.64
Average MCAT Phys: 7.08
Average MCAT Verbal: 7.78
Acceptance Rate: 8%

The University of Health Sciences, Kansas City MO
Average MCAT Bio: 8.64
Average MCAT Verbal: 8.09
Acceptance Rate: 24%

Average MCAT Bio: 7.50
Average MCAT Phys: 7.00
Average MCAT Verbal: 7.80

This says absolutely nothing about the rank of the school or the quality of the eduacation. everyone thinks their school is the best, so you will get all types of answers on this thread.

You can't rank DO schools. A lot are there and are opening up to fill very important niches and needs in medicine today. It's tantamount to comparing apples and oranges.

Ratch said:
you're gonna learn the same human body whether you do it in the middle-o-nowhere missouri or the shrine of AT Still located in Des Moines. Schools don't prepare you for boards, you prepare you for boards. go wherever is cheapest.

i thought the at still shrine was in kcom ??? :rolleyes:

HoodyHoo said:
This says absolutely nothing about the rank of the school or the quality of the eduacation. everyone thinks their school is the best, so you will get all types of answers on this thread.

I agree, and I think I more or less said this in my post. Also, that these admissions stats are only a guide to see if you are competitive for admission into that school.

HOLD THE PHONE!!!!!!!

I drive by A.T. Still's grave every day I pull into the KCOM parking lot. We have his house and the first school in our atrium.

WE win the shrine award hands down :D

s42brown said:
HOLD THE PHONE!!!!!!!

I drive by A.T. Still's grave every day I pull into the KCOM parking lot. We have his house and the first school in our atrium.

:laugh: :laugh:

s42brown said:
HOLD THE PHONE!!!!!!!

That was my understanding as well. I guess DMU will have to take second place on that one.