DO School Specific Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CyrusHabs7695

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, to prevent cross posting and getting people upset who are subscribed to the threads I would be posting in, I figured I would just post my questions here.

So the schools I am applying to are...

- KCU
- LECOM-E
- PCOM-P
- PCOM-G
- DMU
- NOVA
- Kirksville
- LMU-COM

1.) Since there is no MSAR for DO schools, I am having trouble finding the grading systems for each of these schools (A-F, P/F, etc.), so if anyone knows that information for any of the above schools I would appreciate it.
Also, same for if those schools rank their students or not.

2.) I know there is a big difference between the LECOM Erie and Bradenton campuses, but is there a curriculum difference or anything between the two PCOM campuses?

Members don't see this ad.

Just to clarify a few things...:

1. Is this in preparation for applying next cycle?

2. Are these all the schools you are applying to, are there MDs mixed in?

3. Are you looking for ranking information when you are admitted as a student, or how they rank your application and look at your application?

4. What is your reason for looking at these schools? Are you looking at schools that you possibly could get into, or schools that will give you the best education, or....?

This will help in giving you answers that most relate to your question.

Hello, to prevent cross posting and getting people upset who are subscribed to the threads I would be posting in, I figured I would just post my questions here.

So the schools I am applying to are...

- KCU
- LECOM-E
- PCOM-P
- PCOM-G
- DMU
- NOVA
- Kirksville
- LMU-COM

1.) Since there is no MSAR for DO schools, I am having trouble finding the grading systems for each of these schools (A-F, P/F, etc.), so if anyone knows that information for any of the above schools I would appreciate it.
Also, same for if those schools rank their students or not.

2.) I know there is a big difference between the LECOM Erie and Bradenton campuses, but is there a curriculum difference or anything between the two PCOM campuses?
I know it's no MSAR, but you have downloaded the CIB right?
2017 Osteopathic Medical College Information Book

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to clarify a few things...:

1. Is this in preparation for applying next cycle?

2. Are these all the schools you are applying to, are there MDs mixed in?

3. Are you looking for ranking information when you are admitted as a student, or how they rank your application and look at your application?

4. What is your reason for looking at these schools? Are you looking at schools that you possibly could get into, or schools that will give you the best education, or....?

This will help in giving you answers that most relate to your question.

1. Yes Im applying next cycle

2. Yes, I am applying to 24 MD schools

3. When I mean ranking, I mean do the schools rank their students

4. I would say that these are the DO schools that are somewhat near where I currently live. Also, they seem to have a good reputation with physicians I have shadowed. Is there any you personally recommend I should consider applying too?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

1. Yes Im applying next cycle

2. Yes, I am applying to 24 MD schools

3. When I mean ranking, I mean do the schools rank their students

4. I would say that these are the DO schools that are somewhat near where I currently live. Also, they seem to have a good reputation with physicians I have shadowed. Is there any you personally recommend I should consider applying too?

Ok cool, this is helpful. From my application experience and several friends/colleagues that have gone through the process I think the biggest think you need to look at when applying is

1st: Chances of getting into the school. Reason is the school may be ranked 1st in the nation, but if you can't get in, what's the point?

2nd: Osteopathic (and MD) usually have two types of people they accept and groom.
One is those who wish to do the rural, family medicine, community outreach tract.
The second is the type of person who wishes to do academic, research, based medicine.

Find out what you want to do and that should help eliminate a few schools as some schools wish to cultivate one or the other. For example I have done clinical research for several years and bench research before, and would like to continue this as an attending so talked about that alot in my application, with less of a mention towards diving into rural medicine (still an option, just have less experience in it.) So be cognizant of that when you apply.
*side note on that, most DO schools emphasizing cultivating rural tract, family medicine focused physicians so keep that in mind when applying. Not as many research focused DO schools.

3rd (you know this but gonna throw in anyway): Where do you live? Always have an emphasis on instate DO/MD schools vs out of state. Apply to all instate regardless of if it the most preferred school. Doctor is doctor no matter if it is harvard or lowest ranked school.

4th (answering original question): Most DO schools it seems that have been around for more than 10 years will be harder to get into as they are established. Also certain schools in desirable areas (New York City, California cities, etc.) will be harder to get into.
Certain schools that have just started up will be easier just because they haven't built their reputation yet (Rocky Vista Utah, Alabama College of Osteopathic medicine, etc...). The schools will generally be solid schools and you will have the same experience as those around for a century. I recommend adding in a few of these so you will be studying medicine within the year no matter what instead of waiting some more.

Hopefully that helped!

Reactions: 1 user
Ok cool, this is helpful. From my application experience and several friends/colleagues that have gone through the process I think the biggest think you need to look at when applying is

1st: Chances of getting into the school. Reason is the school may be ranked 1st in the nation, but if you can't get in, what's the point?

2nd: Osteopathic (and MD) usually have two types of people they accept and groom.
One is those who wish to do the rural, family medicine, community outreach tract.
The second is the type of person who wishes to do academic, research, based medicine.

Find out what you want to do and that should help eliminate a few schools as some schools wish to cultivate one or the other. For example I have done clinical research for several years and bench research before, and would like to continue this as an attending so talked about that alot in my application, with less of a mention towards diving into rural medicine (still an option, just have less experience in it.) So be cognizant of that when you apply.
*side note on that, most DO schools emphasizing cultivating rural tract, family medicine focused physicians so keep that in mind when applying. Not as many research focused DO schools.

3rd (you know this but gonna throw in anyway): Where do you live? Always have an emphasis on instate DO/MD schools vs out of state. Apply to all instate regardless of if it the most preferred school. Doctor is doctor no matter if it is harvard or lowest ranked school.

4th (answering original question): Most DO schools it seems that have been around for more than 10 years will be harder to get into as they are established. Also certain schools in desirable areas (New York City, California cities, etc.) will be harder to get into.
Certain schools that have just started up will be easier just because they haven't built their reputation yet (Rocky Vista Utah, Alabama College of Osteopathic medicine, etc...). The schools will generally be solid schools and you will have the same experience as those around for a century. I recommend adding in a few of these so you will be studying medicine within the year no matter what instead of waiting some more.

Hopefully that helped!

Very helpful, I'll keep that in mind when looking at schools. Thanks!!!