DO school with the best OMM training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hottie

Hottest Hottie
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which DO school or schools has/have the best OMM training? :)

Members don't see this ad.

hottie said:
Which DO school or schools has/have the best OMM training? :)

This is a duplicate post, but I'll respond again. KCOM has the most OMM training, but there is really no way to gauge who has the best.

OSUdoc08 said:
This is a duplicate post, but I'll respond again. KCOM has the most OMM training, but there is really no way to gauge who has the best.
What constitutes "most OMM training?" I know that DMU has 2 full years with weekly labs and practical exams, along with teaching opportunities for 2nd years. Also I'm pretty sure that the number of students in each lab is about 25-30, so lots of individual attention from prof's and TA's.

Just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
If a DO student takes the time to read, practice, pay attention, and show a genuine interest then any school will be the best. Even KCOM has disgruntled DO students that can't wait until the torture is over. PCOM averages about 2 hours per week, 1.5 of which is lab.

djnels01 said:
What constitutes "most OMM training?" I know that DMU has 2 full years with weekly labs and practical exams, along with teaching opportunities for 2nd years. Also I'm pretty sure that the number of students in each lab is about 25-30, so lots of individual attention from prof's and TA's.

Just curious.

Number of hours per week.

MSU has 6 "semesters" worth of OMM class. We have three semesters a year, Fall and Spring each with 15 wks and a Summer of 10 wks (I think). Each week we have 1 hour and 20 min of lecture/lab. We're pretty big on Muscle Energy and pretty much all the first year or so seems to be that. We have an OMM Student Clinic where 2nd years diagnose and treat patients with a supervising OMM/PMR physician. I can't speak for anything during the clinical years, but I'd expect some implementation of the techniques as Michigan is extremely receptive to DOs and OMM, plus many hospitals are Osteopathic. I don't think I could recommend MSU as an OMM-heavy school based on hours, but that isn't the sole determinant. Unfortunately, the big determinants are likely those that can't be easily quantified by students as it would mean experiencing and investigating the teaching at multiple institutions.
From what I've heard on SDN (meaning, take with a pile of salt), the big ones in OMM are: DMU, KCOM, and PCOM. However, I remember hearing some about CCOM and KCUMB, but I could definitely be mistaken.
Hope this helps a little.
One to do might be asking local DOs who've been in practice and know many DOs who employ OMM. That might help. :thumbup:

I don't think quality can be determined in a forum such as this, only quantity

HVLA does not make a quality OMM department. In my opinion, it is actually quite the opposite. You can go to a chiro for any or as much of the HVLA you want.

I was making no comment on the quality. Since one of our grads back in the day compiled all the CCOM HVLA techniques into one of the first OMM texts it makes sense why they teach us a lot of HVLA. Don't worry, we still learn plenty of ME, CS, and cranial.

We have 1 hour of lecture & 2 hours of lab a week.

We also have a 1-month required clinical rotation in the 3rd year.

During your first 2 years, you have to attend a clinic twice a semester for 1 hour each visit to treat patients with the skills you have.

OSUdoc08 said:
During your first 2 years, you have to attend a clinic twice a semester for 1 hour each visit to treat patients with the skills you have.

I kinda wish we did this. It's much more helpful to practice and use some of these techniques on people that actually have a dysfunction. Nothing is more maddening than pulling a "sacrum/pelvis" sheet during a practical and having to diagnose a sacral dysfunction when there probably isn't one there anyway.

I think unecom deserves a mention as a top OMM school. When I was a 1st/2nd year-the OMM dept. said that DMU, UNECOM, NYCOM, and KCOM were fairly consistently in the top 4 on boards and all had great reps as OMM strong schools. From what I hear, NYCOM has had some shakeups and as said above, a hard working student could learn a lot of OMT at just about any of our schools. another sign of OMM strength is how many students get to convocation from a particular school.

Members don't see this ad :)
macman said:
I think unecom deserves a mention as a top OMM school. When I was a 1st/2nd year-the OMM dept. said that DMU, UNECOM, NYCOM, and KCOM were fairly consistently in the top 4 on boards and all had great reps as OMM strong schools. From what I hear, NYCOM has had some shakeups and as said above, a hard working student could learn a lot of OMT at just about any of our schools. another sign of OMM strength is how many students get to convocation from a particular school.

I was under the impression from previous threads that UNECOM & NYCOM had some lower board pass rates comparatively.

OSUdoc08 said:
I was under the impression from previous threads that UNECOM & NYCOM had some lower board pass rates comparatively.

I'm talking specifically about the OMM section of COMLEX-I thought that was implied-maybe not...

could you indicate:

number of semesters with OMM
hours spend on OMM (lab + Lecture),
ratio of students:teacher (professor/teaching assistant)
set-up in lab (ie. pair or group of four)
set-up of OMM lecture

thanks

PCOM
1. number of semesters with OMM = We have trimester but OMM runs the first 2 years plus a required 4 week OMM/FM selective.
2. hours spend on OMM (lab + Lecture) = Lab 1.5 hours, Lecture ~1hr
3. ratio of students:teacher (professor/teaching assistant) = 10-12:1
4. Set-up in lab (ie. pair or group of four) = Pair
5. Set-up of OMM lecture = Half of the lectures are mandatory, I really like OMM but IMHO the lectures suck except for a few. Mostly due to lecturers confusing you or contradicting themselves b/c they have to teach what the COMLEX will test. I prefer to read the foundations book or savarese.

Our school has 3 hours of lab every week plus 2-4 hours of lecture every week. Also we have OMM classes integrated in our physiology, biochemistry, gross anatomy, and physical diagnosis classes. We have OMM for two years, and each semester is equivalent to 10 credit hours.

We are blessed to have some really awesome physicians in the OMM department. The famous Dr. John M. Jones III is head of the OMM department here. He has authored and co-authored many of the articles/journals in our Foundations for Osteopathic Medicine (2nd Ed.) book.

hottie said:
could you indicate:

number of semesters with OMM
hours spend on OMM (lab + Lecture),
ratio of students:teacher (professor/teaching assistant)
set-up in lab (ie. pair or group of four)
set-up of OMM lecture

thanks

At Nova,

4 semesters
1 hr lecture, 2 hrs lab per week
1 teacher per 8-10 students
Students pair up

Hope that helps.

CCOM

6 quarters (~12 wks each quarter)
1 hr lecture and 3hrs lab each week
1 Professor every 8-12 students in lab
Pretty even spread on types of techniques
Students pair up

Touro University Nevada has the best OMM program around, hands down. :thumbup:

I don't think TCOM's standard first and second year OMM training is all that strong. However, if you are interested in research, TCOM is probably the best place in the country. Its home to the National OMM Research Center. For those students that do the PDF program in OMM, they get involved with some major league ground breaking research, and almost always get published in some pretty big name publications.

Each school has such a different and varied OMM program that it is tough to compare them. I have seen the curricula for most of the DO schools and the ones that I haven't seen I know the director (PCOM GA and Nevada) so I have an idea what will be big in those programs.

I guess you really need to decide what sort of OMM education you are looking for in a school. Are you interested in a musculoskeletal strength vs a cranial strength. Are you looking for more hours spent in lab, or more opportunities for non-classroom OMM education (UAAO and other clubs)

These are important factors and I think they play into the OMM education at a particular school.

I am an OMM Fellow at PCOM and I have met fellows from other schools and we all have the same stories and jokes about the OMM departments. But each department works its hardest to put out a great curricula.

PCOM has been hit hard in the past few years as many of our clinical faculty has been recruited to go other places in the country to teach and/or run programs. We lost 2 great professors to other DO schools who wanted them to run the OMM programs and we lost another professor who went to go run an OMM residency program. Seems like PCOMs OMM Department was a ripe tree for cherry picking.

But as I said above, each school has its strengths and weaknesses.

Regardless of where you go to school you can develop your OMM skills to their greatest potential by doing extra reading, joining OMM clubs and attending conferences.

medicine1 said:
We are blessed to have some really awesome physicians in the OMM department. The famous Dr. John M. Jones III is head of the OMM department here. He has authored and co-authored many of the articles/journals in our Foundations for Osteopathic Medicine (2nd Ed.) book.

Interestingly, PCOM felt blessed when JJ left.

medicine1 said:
The famous Dr. John M. Jones III is head of the OMM department here. He has authored and co-authored many of the articles/journals in our Foundations for Osteopathic Medicine (2nd Ed.) book.

You mean the book that attempts to legitimize Chapman's 1932 theory of reflex points?

prefontaine said:

I'm not sure who you speak for, but it is certainly a minority of PCOMers.

Pegasus52082 said:
You mean the book that attempts to legitimize Chapman's 1932 theory of reflex points?

:rolleyes:

my personal experiences, with students I have worked with as a student and resident, are those from UNE-COM and Kirskville are the most competent.

prefontaine said:
It's alright med1, I got your back.....aaahhhh....did it get easier?...did you also feel this way when your younger brother started getting more attention than you did... :(

Pegasus52082 said:
Yah, the same book that is one of the hallmarks of our profession. Thanks