Do schools actually start sending out acceptances Oct 15?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunsweet

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know the first day a school is allowed to accept people is oct 15, but do most schools actually start sending out acceptances on oct 15? obviously it would be for the applicants that interviewed most early, which I did at my state schools. should I hold my breath? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

actually the 15th is the day that the AAMC wants medschools to begin sending out acceptances...but they can send them earlier. the director of admissions at MCW told us at our interview last weekend that they would send out the first batch of acceptances by snail mail this friday (oct. 8) and we could then find out we are accepted by early next week. university of wisconsin hinted at a similar early date, but didn't actually come out and say so

brats800 said:
actually the 15th is the day that the AAMC wants medschools to begin sending out acceptances...but they can send them earlier. the director of admissions at MCW told us at our interview last weekend that they would send out the first batch of acceptances by snail mail this friday (oct. 8) and we could then find out we are accepted by early next week. university of wisconsin hinted at a similar early date, but didn't actually come out and say so

really? I know not all schools follow the oct 15 rule, but I thought they could only "officially" tell you after oct 15.

Members don't see this ad :)
taken from the AAMC website (http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/admissionofficers.htm):

The AAMC recommends that:

3. Each school notify all applicants - other than Combined College/M.D., Early Decision Program (EDP), and deferred matriculation applicants - of acceptance to medical school only after October 15 of each admission cycle. It may be appropriate to communicate notifications of decisions other than acceptance to medical school to applicants prior to October 15.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The AAMC recommends that schools don't send anything until October 15th, but I have never heard of any punishment or reason for a school not to send out early. I think that's just AAMC's arbitrary date that they set, giving a school 2 weeks to switch from looking at EDP's to regular applicants. but if a school has decided to accept a regular applicant prior to the 15th, there's nothing in AAMC that prohibits that (as far as i can tell and have been told).

That Oct. 15th thing is a rule set by the AAMC, but it is a rule that can be broken. I'm at U Mich and I know acceptance letters and wait-list letters have been sent out in the last few weeks. If a school really wants you, AAMC ain't gonna prevent the school from contacting students well before October 15th.

Addendum: I've heard stories that our school will phone an applicant the night after the interview takes place. After a batch of applicants interview in the morning, the adcom meets in a room with the glass wall and glass door to discuss the verdicts the same day. If they really want one, they will phone that person and send out the acceptance letter a few days later.

michigan schools like to call and let you know on the 15th.

oddly i was told at umichigan that they would send out an email at exactly 12:01 am on that day.

the only other school that mentioned it said they will begin sending out on the 15th (uchicago) but it takes about 4 weeks from whenever you interviewed.

i meant the acceptance letters can be printed out a day or two after the day of interview/acceptance...sorry for the confusion. if you live in michigan, you can pick it up from the admissions office. this applies for example if you've gotten into another school (such as the other michigan schools like MSU or WSU) and you want to make a decision STAT (i.e., tell the other school that you're going to Michigan).

normally i wouldn't chime in on this topic but someone in the path lab talked to the horse's mouth a few hours ago...he likes to tell stories apparently about people with GPA's of 3.97 and MCATs of 40 who he decides to wait-list.

brats800 said:

I emailed UW and they didnt write me back...someone on here said they were waiting until the 15th

adamj61 said:
I emailed UW and they didnt write me back...someone on here said they were waiting until the 15th

Adam, apparently, if you call, and your application has been reviewed and you been w/listed they will tell you. BUT, if you are accepted, they have to wait until the 15th....any new word?

some schools (like mine) send the letters a few days early, so that they arrive on the 15th. for people who live close to the school (again, using me as an example) the notification could come around oct 12-14th.

im getting nervous for teh 15th........man, i wish it was more spontaneous than waiting on a date......

wends said:
im getting nervous for teh 15th........man, i wish it was more spontaneous than waiting on a date......

It's good practice for Match Day. :)

Xandie said:
It's good practice for Match Day. :)
actually, it kinda reminds me of getting my MCAT score. well, except when i got my MCAT score i was at home refreshing my browser 3 times per mintue, whereas on the 15th i'll probably be in my car somewhere driving home from new hampshire. on second thought, i guess its pretty damn different. :laugh:

sunsweet said:
So I know the first day a school is allowed to accept people is oct 15, but do most schools actually start sending out acceptances on oct 15? obviously it would be for the applicants that interviewed most early, which I did at my state schools. should I hold my breath? :laugh:
It also depends whether the school has rolling admissions -- Pitt doesn't, for example, so no one will know if they got in until, like, the end of February.