DO schools and MCAT retake policy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bloodaxe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do DO schools view MCAT retakes? I scored low on the MCAT and I am retaking it in the spring and apply next summer for Fall 2012 entry. Do they mainly consider your last MCAT attempt? I was wondering how schools view MCAT retakes.

Members don't see this ad.

it's fine. they want you to retake if it means you're going to improve your score. some schools take the newest score and some schools take the highest score per section and make a composite score.

How do DO schools view MCAT retakes? I scored low on the MCAT and I am retaking it in the spring and apply next summer for Fall 2012 entry. Do they mainly consider your last MCAT attempt? I was wondering how schools view MCAT retakes.

Taking the MCAT multiple times is not bad in and of itself. We like students who show good (4-10+ points) improvements, especcially if they're starting off in the low 20s. Going from low teens to low 20s isn't that impressive though.

One thing that does raise red flags is multiple (3+) retakes and showing little improvement (like 20, 22, 23, 22). That say the applicant has reached his/her maximum and isn't likely to get any better. These folks tend to end up on the wait list, rather than get accepted.

Something common I see is the person who has a high 20s score, and tries 2-3x to get over the magic 30 bar. That's harmless.