DO Schools and Research Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Retro.viridae

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! Sorry if this has been asked before. I haven't been able to find an answer to my question so I was hoping someone could answer it here. My question is: how important is research experience on applications to DO medical schools relative to MD schools? Do they put less emphasis on it? Does a lack of research experience doom a DO application?

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to respond!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! Sorry if this has been asked before. I haven't been able to find an answer to my question so I was hoping someone could answer it here.

1) My question is: how important is research experience on applications to DO medical schools relative to MD schools?

2) Do they put less emphasis on it?

3) Does a lack of research experience doom a DO application?

Thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to respond!

1) It's not
2) Yes
3) Nope, not at all. BTW, a lack of research isn't lethal for a good number of MD schools as well. Some SDNers have commented that they got into such research ****** like Stanford with little to no research.

Reactions: 1 user
^ Off of that though, it definitely doesn't hurt at some schools. It seems like a ton of my classmates had research prior

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1) It's not
2) Yes
3) Nope, not at all. BTW, a lack of research isn't lethal for a good number of MD schools as well. Some SDNers have commented that they got into such research ****** like Stanford with little to no research.

Thank you, Goro! I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question! I'm surprised that it doesn't matter at a some of the MD schools. I was looking through MSAR and I got a little discouraged because it seems like for every school >90% of matriculants have research experience.

Thank you, Goro! I appreciate you taking the time to answer my question! I'm surprised that it doesn't matter at a some of the MD schools. I was looking through MSAR and I got a little discouraged because it seems like for every school >90% of matriculants have research experience.
This numbers are so high because it's embedded in pre-med mentality.

The service loving schools seem to be the ones that let research slide the most