Do schools count master/PhD credits into GPA calculation?

Started by Yun
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Yun

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I admit it will be a huge career transition for me, but a career in PT has recently become a new passion in my life for many reasons although I'm getting a PhD degree in geochemistry (very different career) very soon.
My bachelor GPA is not great (about 3.2) so I'm wondering if some schools will count the credits taken during master and PhD which are pretty good for me.
Besides, what does school usually think if you have a PhD from a irrelevant field? Will this factor be against you or help you? Does anyone have similar experiences?
 
I am not sure if they factor in the gpa, but I can say that having a PhD, regardless of the field, is definitely a plus! Obtaining that degree shows your hard work and dedication, which would translate to your PT school studies.
 
Graduate GPA will probably count towards your overall GPA. Just make sure to mention it on the application or letter of intent. I have a Masters and I know it helped me gain admission to PT school. It shows that you have been successful in graduate school and should be able to handle PT school. Just to warn you that graduate school and PT school were two completely different things in my opinion. PT school is less research and more knowing/learning stuff inside and out and being able to do well on practical/hands on tests.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have similar experience. I had PhD degree in biology before I made this huge career transition. I was accepted by several DPT programs this year, including one of the top 3 programs. From my experience, it really depends. Some programs thought it was wired for me who already had PhD degree to apply DPT programs, the other programs understand my passion to help patients. So my advice is to apply as many as programs you can, you will make it.

I admit it will be a huge career transition for me, but a career in PT has recently become a new passion in my life for many reasons although I'm getting a PhD degree in geochemistry (very different career) very soon.
My bachelor GPA is not great (about 3.2) so I'm wondering if some schools will count the credits taken during master and PhD which are pretty good for me.
Besides, what does school usually think if you have a PhD from a irrelevant field? Will this factor be against you or help you? Does anyone have similar experiences?
 
Hey, I also have a Masters in a somewhat of a related field. I have spoken to several programs and they told me that my grad GPA does NOT count in the GPA calculations, except the grad courses that can count as my pre-reqs (stats, advanced bio/exercise science...). However, they will keep your advanced degrees in mind and it will only help you in the end. I think part of the decision process is "can this person make it through a doctoral program?" - you have already proven that you can! While it probably won't count in your overall GPA, it is a very large feather in your cap! You will get in, no worries! 🙂