Do schools know if you've applied to both M.D. and D.O. Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biostats.moore

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
And...do they know which schools for either?

Members don't see this ad.

No. Only if you tell them.

After March (I think), I know allo schools release via AMCAS who they've accepted. I am unsure if AACOMAS does the same.

This was discussed in a thread in allo but no mention of DO schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not uncommon for interviewers to ask you, but in my view, they interview way too many people to worry about what your decision is going to be if they take you. It's not like some grad programs that try to feel you out to see whether or not they should waste a slot on you.

they know at NOVA if you fill it out on your secondary.... they asked me about it.

In my opinions its none of their business what schools (besides them) you have applied to. So, in my opinion, you should be able to answer whatever way you choose.

Since it's a different application service, they have no idea unless you tell them.

Do you think it negatively impacts your application if they know? I'm talking about either way from allo schools or DO schools.:confused:

Do you think it negatively impacts your application if they know? I'm talking about either way from allo schools or DO schools.:confused:

Basically if you have competative stats for both sets of schools, they are going to at least assume that you have applied to MD schools as well as DO. It is common, a ton of applicants obviously do it. As long as you show that you are interested in DO and very interested in their school...it should not be an issue. If you give the impression that it is your second choice, that may hurt. Also, as everyone else had said, if you don't feel comfortable telling them, then don't.

Basically if you have competative stats for both sets of schools, they are going to at least assume that you have applied to MD schools as well as DO. It is common, a ton of applicants obviously do it. As long as you show that you are interested in DO and very interested in their school...it should not be an issue. If you give the impression that it is your second choice, that may hurt. Also, as everyone else had said, if you don't feel comfortable telling them, then don't.

I'm not going to volunteer the information, but I'm also not going to lie about it if they point blank ask me.

One of my recommenders, a professor at a DO school, wrote in his letter that I was applying to both DO & MD programs. He did tell me what he wrote & why he wrote it, but he didn’t discuss it with me before he sent the letters. I’m not sure how many other recommenders might write something like this, but I thought I’d throw it out….just so y’all know it’s a possibility.

He wrote two different versions of the letter, & only mentioned my dual applications in the DO version. I don’t think it hurt me at all.

One of my recommenders, a professor at a DO school, wrote in his letter that I was applying to both DO & MD programs. He did tell me what he wrote & why he wrote it, but he didn’t discuss it with me before he sent the letters. I’m not sure how many other recommenders might write something like this, but I thought I’d throw it out….just so y’all know it’s a possibility.

He wrote two different versions of the letter, & only mentioned my dual applications in the DO version. I don’t think it hurt me at all.

He shouldnt have written that. This is also considering that my recommenders didn't mention MD or DO in their letters, just my interest in medicine amongst other things ...

I wouldnt have that person write me another letter, not a big deal but it's also not necessary either and doesn't do you any good.

i just wanted to be honest, and most MD schools i applied to were based upon location- family, etc.... But, because I really wanted to be a DO, I just explained my situation, and that i knew there were no guarantees. I am assuming they appreciated the honesty, b/c I was accepted at all but two of seven schools I interviewed at.

I applied to NSU and thought that question on the secondary was a little too much info for them to ask, so I wrote a polite little statement that I would be happy to discuss the schools I applied to if I was granted an interview. I got an interview (I'm from NJ, not sure if that makes a difference), and one of my interviewers spent seriously the entire time (appx. 25 min.) he had with me interrogating me about that answer! I just said that I didn't think it had that much bearing on how good of a candidate I would be, and that if I was accepted to NSU I would definitely matriculate. The guy would not let up (didn't even give me a chance to tell him the schools I applied to), and I got my rejection letter in the mail. Moral of the story: If I were to do it again, I would probably just list all the schools I applied to, even though I still think it is a dumb question.

md/do almost.. what is that you are holding in your avatar pic?

I applied to NSU and thought that question on the secondary was a little too much info for them to ask, so I wrote a polite little statement that I would be happy to discuss the schools I applied to if I was granted an interview. I got an interview (I'm from NJ, not sure if that makes a difference), and one of my interviewers spent seriously the entire time (appx. 25 min.) he had with me interrogating me about that answer! I just said that I didn't think it had that much bearing on how good of a candidate I would be, and that if I was accepted to NSU I would definitely matriculate. The guy would not let up (didn't even give me a chance to tell him the schools I applied to), and I got my rejection letter in the mail. Moral of the story: If I were to do it again, I would probably just list all the schools I applied to, even though I still think it is a dumb question.

this is exactly why i didn't choose to lie- or worry about it- But I am truly sorry for your situation- that's a bummer.

Oh, and the photo is of a hammerhead shark's 'head'- the rest was eaten by other sharks.....

They won't know from your paperwork, but they will probably ask. I'm quite certain that I got slammed in two of my interviews because I applied to both MD and DO programs, but I will refrain from naming the schools.

Only if you do TMDSAS b/c MD and DO schools are combined on there.