DO schools w/ teaching hospitals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dweji16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any DO schools that have their own affiliated teaching hospitals? I heard that Lake Erie might have one, but wasn't sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any DO schools that have their own affiliated teaching hospitals? I heard that Lake Erie might have one, but wasn't sure.
PNWU just started an affiliation with a Hospital as one of its teaching hospitals.

All DO schools have teaching hospitals, otherwise DO students would be twiddling their thumbs for their 3rd year and even more than usual for their 4th. University hospitals are a different story OSU-COM does.

Members don't see this ad :)
OUCOM has a whole ring of hospitals in the CORE system. Other DO schools utilize the CORE system too. Check it out if you don't know about it.

http://www.ohiocore.org/

Touro NV has a teaching hospital system that is one of their clinical sites and also hosts a series of residency programs at Valley Hospital.

Rocky Vista has started an Osteopathic Training Institute with one of the health systems in the Denver Metropolitan area. It's going to be their clinical sites that will turn into a residency program. The system name escapes me, but the mission statement of the hospital was impressive.

I would think that any college that has some form of a residency site has an affiliated hospital though.

LECOM has Millcreek Community Hospital. It's a rather small hospital that specializes primarily in psychiatric care (2 floors are dedicated to inpatient psych), but they are trying to carve a niche out for more specialized geriatric care as well. The do have one of the few osteopathic ortho residencies, but mostly end up seeing elective surgeries (i.e. low on trauma, but they do an out rotation for trauma).

The only problem with Millcreek is that they stuff a ton of medical students in the institution but have a relatively low patient census/acuity. Plus, when picking out rotations, a certain number of students need to be rotating there at any given time (I think it's up to 15 or so - doesn't seem like much but...).

All DO schools have teaching hospitals, otherwise DO students would be twiddling their thumbs for their 3rd year and even more than usual for their 4th. University hospitals are a different story OSU-COM does.

All DO schools have affiliations with hospitals that are teaching hospitals, but I don't know any school other than LECOM that actually "has" a teaching hospital.

All DO schools have affiliations with hospitals that are teaching hospitals, but I don't know any school other than LECOM that actually "has" a teaching hospital.

I guess you didn't see the 2 posts in this thread that mentioned that OSU-COM has it's own teaching hospital, OSU Medical Center. It is one of the largest Osteopathic hospitals in the country.

My comment was a joke. A teaching hospital is any hospital that teaches i.e. has medical students rotate through. A university hospital is a hospital owned by a medical school.

AOA President Wickless told me that Kirksville is the only school with their own teaching hospital, but like others have said, there are affiliated hospitals. He cited Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, Western U COMP's affiliated hospital, as one of the best.

AOA President Wickless told me that Kirksville is the only school with their own teaching hospital, but like others have said, there are affiliated hospitals. He cited Arrowhead Regional Medical Center, Western U COMP's affiliated hospital, as one of the best.

KCOM's affiliation with NERMC is 'complicated.' Technically they aren't KCOM's hospital, but in reality ... they are physically connected, they are merged with the KCOM clinic, they house KCOM's residencies, tons of KCOM docs work there/in the clinic, and a number of students can do their rotations there. So ... I mean, take that as you will. I know how I interpret it.

That's exciting...Western is my #1, so yet another great thing I've heard about that school. Thanks! :)