Do schools with international elective

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HeronsBeak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find anything on this on schools websites or here. Are there any DO schools with the option of an international elective? Just curious, as this is something I would definitely like to do, though I suppose I could just do one during an off month if I set it up myself. Thanks, HeronsBeak

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't been able to find anything on this on schools websites or here. Are there any DO schools with the option of an international elective? Just curious, as this is something I would definitely like to do, though I suppose I could just do one during an off month if I set it up myself. Thanks, HeronsBeak
I'm certain that WVSOM has this option, and I believe VCOM and OHU-COM as well. VCOM has two clinics in Central America where some of their students go on mission trips as well.

Are we talking about semester abroad type of programs or general international aid opportunities?

I would think many schools have mission trip connections. I know Nova has several sites for students to visit. Many are part of the International Medical Club. Service is kind of a big deal.

I'm not sure if there is a more traditional semester abroad program here but I'll look into it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're talking about a rotation right? Can't think of a single school I visited that didn't offer any opportunity to do this. Usually in the 4th year though. Mission trips are also frequently available if you're willing to spend the cash.

Cool, that's what I was wondering. Thanks everybody

A lot of the schools go on medical missions to different countries (I know Touro-NY just started this year), but I'm not sure if these would really be called international rotations. Maybe it could be done in an elective if you set it up yourself like you said, but none that I know of do it outright.

Last edited:
A lot of the schools go on medical missions to different countries (I know Touro-NY just started this year), but I'm not sure if these would really be called international rotations. Maybe it could be done in an elective if you set it up yourself like you said, but none that I know of do it outright.

This.
Given that this topic was a big deal to me I did a lot of research. What others have said is generally true, most schools have some connections or even loosely held agreements with clinics or whatnot overseas but FEW have serious resources and effort dedicated to students for this. I think you would find this link really helpful. Once you click on it, you will notice a pdf link for "International Opportunities by Osteopathic Medical College"

http://www.aacom.org/data/curriculum/Pages/default.aspx

As a side note, since the data is a few years old, let me endorse what CUSOM is doing in this field. They are forming first-hand partnerships with overseas facilities (and knowing some of them, they are some of the best teaching hospitals in these continents) and are one of the only DO schools to have a department just for this purpose (among the others I know of that are strong: DMU, OUCOM, VCOM). We recently hired a director who came back from overseas just to teach and set up international curriculum for us.

Just use a critical eye when you explore this topic. If you are really serious about this, make sure you find a program that is actually going to support you in doing these things and not merely force all responsibility on you to set up.

Nova requires a rural/underserved rotation during 4th year. From what they told us at the interview, many do this rotation abroad.

If you're looking for a general "does this school offer international electives," check the CIB. Although this thread will give you more specific details.

My school lets you do elective rotations anywhere that will take you. You literally can go anywhere...Spain, Ecuador, Thailand. I'd imagine most schools are similar.

RVUCOM has a four year global medicine track. It's an honors program. I know the track students can go to Central / South America for one or two week missions in years I and II.

In years III and IV I know they go to Africa, Nepal, Thailand, India and some to China.

I do know one student in the track. He loves it.

RVUCOM has a four year global medicine track. It's an honors program. I know the track students can go to Central / South America for one or two week missions in years I and II.

In years III and IV I know they go to Africa, Nepal, Thailand, India and some to China.

I do know one student in the track. He loves it.

This sounds really cool, will check that out. Mosonik, thanks for sharing your research too, and thanks everyone else, gives me more to think about when applying.