DO Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

MTY

hi
i'm a ca resident and i'm wondering what other DO schools can i apply besides touro and western? i know that some DO school also have strict policy about residential status. any adv?

thanks,

Members don't see this ad.

UHS in Kansas City has no residency requirements, and has students from 40 states, if I remember correctly. It also has a new $90 million teaching facility. I beleieve that Kirksville has no residency requirements either. The AACOMAS website may have details on all the schools. I know they have a booklet listing all the schools, the average scores and GPAs of their first-year class and residency info. Hope this helps. Maire

HI MAIRE,
thank you for your info.

are UHS and kirksville the only schools that have no residential requirement?

thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
AZCOM (Midwestern University) in Glendale, Arizona has no residency requirements and is much closer to your home state.

For certain, the following have no regional preferences.

CCOM (chicago college of osteopathic med)
AZCOM (arizona " ")
PCOM (philadelphia " ")
Nova (in florida)
LECOM (lake erie " ")
Kirksville (in missouri)
UHSCOM (University Health Sci Col of Osteo)
DMU (Des Moines University)
Touro
Western
NJCOM? (new jersey: I'm a little unsure on this one, however a friend of mine, fellow michigander, will be attending there in the fall.)

Schools with definite regional pref (though they do except a small number of out of staters) include: MSUCOM, WVCOM, TCOM, Pikeville (they did grant me an interview, though, but I believe that to be a result of some mission work I did in the region and noted in my personal statement).

Unsure on the rest: New England COM, Oklahoma, NYCOM, and Ohio.

Your best bet, is to check out USNews and World Report. http://www.usnews.com

They provide stats on the entrance numbers for in-state and out-of-state applicants.

[This message has been edited by DocGibby (edited 07-07-2000).]

THE DO doctor who i shawdowed with, graduated from Ohio State Univ. He wrote me a recommendation to DO School. Do you guys think i should apply to Ohio DO School? even i'm a CA resident, will that have any impact on adcom?

thanks

If you sign on with Ohio, you have to agree to remain and practice med in the state for (i believe) 5 years after you graduate. This isn't as bad as it might seem (depending on your perspective, of course)since, I'm also told that your residency can be applied to that 5 years. Someone with more info could jump in here and clarify this. I think you have to sign an agreement on this matter. Nova does something similar regarding their dress policy.

From what i know UNECOM has New England preference as the NJ schools do for their state. And an admissions counselor from PCOM stated that 60% of their class comes from Pennsylvania.

You should try LECOM in Erie, PA. They have no residency requirement, however out-of-state students must pay an extra $1000 per year in tuition. That is the only drawback

------------------

I interviewed and was accepted to Ohio University, and never once did anyone mention a requirement to stay in the state of Ohio after graduation. I just looked through the HUGE pile of info I have from them, and was again unable to find a single reference to a commitment to stay in state for five years. I would imagine that they would have to disclose such an important fact to somebody who made it that far!

But, in response to the original post, OU-COM is an excellent school, but they heavily favor Ohio residents (as do most state schools).

Mango.....you may want to look through it again. It was actually in the secondary packet info (the reason I didn't sen a secondary there). You had to sign the form in order to be interviewed. I fyou break the contract you have to pay an additional year of med school for every year that you are no longer in Ohio. I thought it was such a rip off that they had not disclosed it even earlier than that, or I wouldn't have wasted my money even applying there! For me.....med school/residency is a big enough time committment. To promise I will actually stay there and practice 5 years after that pretty much says your going to become an "Ohioan"
It would be fine if that was your desire, but if you just want a place to go to school and remain flexible, it may not be the best choice, as it was not for me! Good luck!

Huh! I had no idea. Well, maybe they didn't mention it because I am an Ohio resident already? I really can't recall signing anything that committed to staying instate. That seems pretty odd to me, that they would require you to stay instate for five years. I'd be pissed if I was from out of state! Guess that's one more reason to be glad that I decided to go to Cincy.

I'm not sure, but I think that OU-COM only has that 5 year requirement for out of staters. I may be wrong, I haven't looked at it in a while, but I think that's how it works.

That could very well be ! I was from out of state so I distinctly remember the form and the fact that I felt I could not make that committment. Ohio residents may get a special deal since they have already put in some time there and are most likely to stay anyhow.