DO schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess assuming you'll get the Army scholarship is, in fact, a safe assumption. Still, it isn't at all surprising to me that you haven't had any success if the attitude you've presented here is the same one you showed to med schools. At least stow the apathy and arrogance for after you've matriculated. Everybody else manages.
NO, I only need to get accepted. Then I'll be set.

Members don't see this ad.

NO, I only need to get accepted. Then I'll be set.

You might want to read the GT post again. You'll notice that most of the people who are accepted in their SMP year get in in the 2nd semester, so they can't really slack/drop out...

BTW, even if you have a 50% chance of acceptance, that means half of the people with those metrics WON'T get in. That number was about 23000 people last year, so saying that very few people don't get in with average stats is just plain wrong.

You might want to read the GT post again. You'll notice that most of the people who are accepted in their SMP year get in in the 2nd semester, so they can't really slack/drop out...

BTW, even if you have a 50% chance of acceptance, that means half of the people with those metrics WON'T get in. That number was about 23000 people last year, so saying that very few people don't get in with average stats is just plain wrong.

Who is GT? The school? Directly from the smp website "Historically, about 50+% of our students have been accepted to medical school during the year they are in the program and begin school the fall semester directly after finishing the SMP.". Yes, that is not very impressive considering 50% of regular applicants get in each year. But almost 100% of smp students applied and got rejected everywhere in the previous cycle.
Either way, if I am rejected, I will not wait another year, I'll settle for DO. DO's are not "discriminated" against in the military. Oh and I know that if you go DO or Caribbean, smp program will add you to their statistics of "accepted students", but still most of their students end up at schools like NYMC.

The person in your example had higher than average gpa. If she also had higher than average mcat, it would be almost impossible to get rejected.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you really know what you want? You need to look at that before anything else. Do you want to practice on the civilian or military sides? Do you really want to commit to military medicine? (I don't see motive other than cost issues) Are you OK with an osteopathic medical degree? Will you take the good advice in this thread?

You have asked for advice and then in some cases write it off.

Who is GT? The school? Directly from the smp website "Historically, about 50+% of our students have been accepted to medical school during the year they are in the program and begin school the fall semester directly after finishing the SMP.". Yes, that is not very impressive considering 50% of regular applicants get in each year. But almost 100% of smp students applied and got rejected everywhere in the previous cycle. Either way, if I am rejected, I will not wait another year, I'll settle for DO. DO's are not "discriminated" against in the military. Oh and I know that if you go DO or Caribbean, smp program will add you to their statistics of "accepted students", but still most of their students end up at schools like NYMC.

I meant the Georgetown Class of 2010 thread in the postbac forum. My point was that the 50% of the people who DID get in, usually did so really late in the cycle.

The person in your example had higher than average gpa. If she also had higher than average mcat, it would be almost impossible to get rejected.

They would have a decent chance (68%) but 4000 people with those stats got rejected during the 2008 cycle. That's hardly "almost impossible"

A 3.3/37 will definitely get you into an MD school, provided your ECs, personal statement and interview skills are all acceptable.

Either way, if I am rejected, I will not wait another year, I'll settle for DO.

What makes you think DO schools will settle for you? In stats you might be ok, but DO schools put a lot of emphasis on the person and you're really not a person I'd like to get to know.

What makes you think DO schools will settle for you? In stats you might be ok, but DO schools put a lot of emphasis on the person and you're really not a person I'd like to get to know.
Hey man, do you know such thing as propaganda? You are brainwashed. You think an average doctor has a better personality than an average person? Should I give you links of all the deviants and criminals who successfully became doctors? It's not difficult to become a dr because they screen for your personality, but because they screen for your gpa/mcat. The father of Surgery, Andreas Vesalius, who in some circles is considered much more important than Hippocrates, started his career by dissecting live cats and dogs. In med school he liked to raid tombstones with his fellow students so they could play football with the skeletons. It is unknown whether he ever knowingly killed people to support his anatomy research. But he once dissected a woman in front of a classroom when she suddenly woke up.

p.s. that tall dreamy doc who got caught on the "to catch a predator show" said that he never even had a traffic ticket! he also said "i've never made a mistake in my life".

Wait, your argument is that you don't need a good personality because there are and have been crappy people who have become doctors: the more verbose equivalent of "So what?" Dude...

If you haven't already, I'd call up some schools (particularly the one you interviewed at) and ask them to give you some insight on why you were rejected. I think it's definitely possible someone might have decided to write you a negative rec.

Do you really know what you want? You need to look at that before anything else. Do you want to practice on the civilian or military sides? Do you really want to commit to military medicine? (I don't see motive other than cost issues) Are you OK with an osteopathic medical degree? Will you take the good advice in this thread?

You have asked for advice and then in some cases write it off.

Medical School+Residency is not much different between civilian and military hospitals(sure as a civilian you socialize with other civilians), but in the military you get paid significantly more. Military doctor does the same procedures as a civilian doctor, but gets paid much less. Thats the only difference. Now take into account that Medical School+Residency may be 10yrs and Service Commitment is 4yrs. Even if you make more money overall during those 14yrs as a civilian, you will still get the same training and a better pay for 10 out of 14 most virile years of your life in the military. I would be more troubled about what specialty I want to go into. The same way I may want to go to med school in a certain location but they dont accept me, some specialties are too competitive.

I meant the Georgetown Class of 2010 thread in the postbac forum. My point was that the 50% of the people who DID get in, usually did so really late in the cycle.

They would have a decent chance (68%) but 4000 people with those stats got rejected during the 2008 cycle. That's hardly "almost impossible"

So are you(and Bacchus) suggesting that I don't go to the smp (dont waste 50k) and that I don't apply to med schools (because I will not really change my application other than by rewriting my essay)?

So are you(and Bacchus) suggesting that I don't go to the smp (dont waste 50k) and that I don't apply to med schools (because I will not really change my application other than by rewriting my essay)?

I think if you applied broadly to MD and DO schools, you'll get in somewhere this cycle, as long as you portray yourself in a better light to med schools than you do in this thread.

Wait, your argument is that you don't need a good personality because there are and have been crappy people who have become doctors: the more verbose equivalent of "So what?" Dude...

If you haven't already, I'd call up some schools (particularly the one you interviewed at) and ask them to give you some insight on why you were rejected. I think it's definitely possible someone might have decided to write you a negative rec.
Some of those are well respected doctors.. And it might be just 1 aspect of the personality that was bad. Do you think if I call a med school they will admit to me "such and such person wrote you a bad recommendation?". I did sign a confidentiality agreement.. Maybe I could ask my smp program to tell me if they see any red flags in my LORs or in my essay (I submitted the same exact thing)? But I doubt they would be willing to divulge this information, and I suspect that all my data is mediocre, but not negative... My profs were good people. I heard that SMP calls an applicant if they feel that he got some red flags just to warn him so he wouldn't send the same info to the med schools.

Members don't see this ad :)

Not just crappy people, crappy people that lived 2000 years ago (I have no idea how long ago it actually was). OP, you are starting to look nuts. Honestly it could be a negative LOR or you coming off like a serial killer causing this not getting into school business.

I think if you applied broadly to MD and DO schools, you'll get in somewhere this cycle, as long as you portray yourself in a better light to med schools than you do in this thread.
I've been meaning to write out an outline for my new essay today. I think last year I emphasized that I liked to travel. And this year I will emphasize research.

The stipend/scholarship can be a nice chunk of change, but they really won't allow you to live any differently while in med school. I know that when I looked into the Air Force, the monthly allowances added up to about $22000, if I recall. I got about $18000 in cost of living loans, and I certainly wouldn't refer to that $4000 difference as "significantly more." It won't really allow for any lifestyle changes at all. Buying a car or house would still be virtually impossible. During residency, you're making $65000 or thereabout, right? That's about $15-25k more than civilians earn, which is definitely quite an increase. During your service obligation, you make around $120k at the absolute most. If you're planning on doing primary care and go to an exceptionally expensive med school, that's a pretty good deal. If not, you're going to be losing hundreds of thousands of dollars overall. Consequently, it's almost universally agreed that going the military route is only something you should do if you're interested in being in the military. It's not a financial decision.

Do you think if I call a med school they will admit to me "such and such person wrote you a bad recommendation?"
They probably won't tell you specifically who torpedoed you, but you might at least get some useful information about the overall quality of your recs. If it's anything less than good, get all new ones.

Not just crappy people, crappy people that lived 2000 years ago (I have no idea how long ago it actually was). OP, you are starting to look nuts. Honestly it could be a negative LOR or you coming off like a serial killer causing this not getting into school business.
If you are nuts, they will probably reject you post-interview. But rejection pre-interview has to do with more solid factors. I was only trying to make a point that doctors are no better than the rest of the population. You are the ones who think that they screen for serial killers or what else. Just watch that video I posted. That guy looks like a typical med school professor.

I think the OP is underestimating how many people with higher stats than his get rejected post-interview because they come across as arrogant tools. Just a hint -- it's not a small group.

The stipend/scholarship can be a nice chunk of change, but they really won't allow you to live any differently while in med school. I know that when I looked into the Air Force, the monthly allowances added up to about $22000, if I recall. I got about $18000 in cost of living loans, and I certainly wouldn't refer to that $4000 difference as "significantly more." It won't really allow for any lifestyle changes at all. Buying a car or house would still be virtually impossible. During residency, you're making $65000 or thereabout, right? That's about $15-25k more than civilians earn, which is definitely quite an increase. During your service obligation, you make around $120k at the absolute most. If you're planning on doing primary care and go to an exceptionally expensive med school, that's a pretty good deal. If not, you're going to be losing hundreds of thousands of dollars overall. Consequently, it's almost universally agreed that going the military route is only something you should do if you're interested in being in the military. It's not a financial decision.

They probably won't tell you specifically who torpedoed you, but you might at least get some useful information about the overall quality of your recs. If it's anything less than good, get all new ones.

I did not think of the col loans. I thought my parents would be paying for my room&board. Your story makes sense. ANG program was much butter while it lasted. Still, I really do not care about how I'll be living 10+ years from now.

I guess I could email one of the schools as in their rejection letter they did write "you may ask us why we rejected you if every other school rejected you as well".

I think the OP is underestimating how many people with higher stats than his get rejected post-interview because they come across as arrogant tools. Just a hint -- it's not a small group.
But I was rejected preinterview. Those people might in fact get rejected by a handsome tall doc pedophile who happens to be envious of their marvelous people skills (and their great stats). Really whatever happens happens.

If you were rejected preinterview your problem is a bad PS or letters of recommendation, probably.

Also, the PS should answer "Why medicine?" Not, I like to travel or I like to research unless those were motives for medical school.

If you are nuts, they will probably reject you post-interview. But rejection pre-interview has to do with more solid factors. I was only trying to make a point that doctors are no better than the rest of the population. You are the ones who think that they screen for serial killers or what else. Just watch that video I posted. That guy looks like a typical med school professor.

You can look apesh*t in type -ie primary and secondaries. I mean, I just called you nuts, and we've never met face to face. I've only read a few things you've typed on SDN and I felt safe saying you were acting crazy.

I don't know why someone would find your comments arrogant. But I don't think your application was very successful.

Well, that was the whole point of my post?!
I had great LOR's, but they couldn't make up for stats at some schools, regardless of how much I willed it. It is *not* my essay...it's my grades. Having a low GPA isn't the only factor--it matters significantly when/where/why you go those low grades. And some schools never bothered to read my LORs or 2ndary to discover anything about illness.

You had higher mcat than most of the schools averages on your list, and you had 3 years of research. Of course USC is elite... But because schools like NYMC and SUNY rejected you I am applying to DO schools as well.

Did you read the part where 3 D.O. schools rejected me without interview?

To use your own words, are YOU:
Reading comprehension challenged?