Do secondaries ever ask if you have taken another test besides the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leaveit2rani

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. I am asking this because I intend to take the DAT this upcoming spring. And I intend on taking the MCAT possibly in the summer or maybe January of next year.

I want to apply to dental school first and then medical school the year after if I don't get in. Or I might apply to both concurrently if I get the MCAT in by the same cycle.

I'm just wanted to know if med schools ask whether the student has taken other standardized tests prior to applying (DAT, LSAT, OAT, GRE, etc.)?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I filled out 18 (MD & DO) and don't remember this question on any of them.

However, you ARE going to get some questions in any interviews as to why you can't make up your mind. It looks very much like you are indecisive and playing CYA by taking both.

Be prepared to explain why you want to be a Dr, and that you didn't get into Dental school will not suffice.

Good luck.

I can really see myself going into either professions. There is not much difference between them (they are both doctors). I would like to go into oral surgery or maybe one of the other specialties. Only MD I can see myself doing is maybe ortho, plastics, etc

Members don't see this ad :)
I can really see myself going into either professions. There is not much difference between them (they are both doctors). I would like to go into oral surgery or maybe one of the other specialties. Only MD I can see myself doing is maybe ortho, plastics, etc

:laugh: (sorry... just couldn't let that one go)

I know for Texas schools TMDSAS makes you report any entrance-type exams you've ever taken (ACT/SAT/GRE/GMAT/DAT/MCAT).

I'm alternating between :laugh: at your thought that DMD==MD/DO and :smack: that I was dumb enough to pursue medicine if I could do half the professional training required and still be a doctor!

I filled out 18 (MD & DO) and don't remember this question on any of them.

However, you ARE going to get some questions in any interviews as to why you can't make up your mind. It looks very much like you are indecisive and playing CYA by taking both.

Be prepared to explain why you want to be a Dr, and that you didn't get into Dental school will not suffice.

Good luck.

Yup, op if you mention that you took a different test, they are probably going to question your motivation and your commitment to medicine. Each field is rather different.

I'm alternating between :laugh: at your thought that DMD==MD/DO and :smack: that I was dumb enough to pursue medicine if I could do half the professional training required and still be a doctor!

Are you saying that Dentists are not real doctors? I really don't want to start this argument, but a general dentist does more surgical procedures than a general practice doctor or pediatrician. And oral surgery is a highly coveted profession, and FYI they can get an MD if they go to school for an extra 2 years.

But then again, it is up to you on what you want to do. However, you would be a really immature premed if you went on assuming that dentists are not actual doctors as well.