DO shadowing and LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiring20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i understand that DO schools would like to see an applicant shadow a DO physician. but is it also required that the applicant submits a LOR from a DO physician?

Members don't see this ad.

For some its required, for others recommended, it depends on the school. Look at the recommendations for each of them

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Refer to this thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2012-2013-letter-of-recommendation-thread.915502/

ManBearDude's post has a link to what schools have what requirements. The ones that do not require a DO letter are pretty much fine with an MD letter. Any and every LoR question you could possibly have has been cut every which way in that thread though, give it a look. I would definitely shadow a DO if at all possible though, so you can at least comment on your exposure to the profession.

Members don't see this ad :)
Refer to this thread:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2012-2013-letter-of-recommendation-thread.915502/

ManBearDude's post has a link to what schools have what requirements. The ones that do not require a DO letter are pretty much fine with an MD letter. Any and every LoR question you could possibly have has been cut every which way in that thread though, give it a look. I would definitely shadow a DO if at all possible though, so you can at least comment on your exposure to the profession.
t
thanks!

for MD schools, i think that it is absolutely okay to not have a LOR from a physician as a result of shadowing. so DO schools not only prefer a shadowing letter, but a DO letter as well?

i have 2 science professor, 2 humanities professor, and 1 volunteer coordinator, plus my composite committee letter.

t
thanks!

for MD schools, i think that it is absolutely okay to not have a LOR from a physician as a result of shadowing. so DO schools not only prefer a shadowing letter, but a DO letter as well?

i have 2 science professor, 2 humanities professor, and 1 volunteer coordinator, plus my composite committee letter.
You need a physician letter, MD or DO for most osteopathic schools. Other than that you're good.