DO shadowing Bay Area

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArtooBeedoo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am having a lot of trouble finding a DO physician to shadow in the SF Bay Area/East Bay region. I have cold called and emailed several dozen physicians from their contact information online, with no luck. I was able to talk to a DO previously affiliated with Touro Vallejo, however they are no longer in practice/connected to the school. Does anybody know any doctors willing to have pre-med students shadow them? And does anyone have any tips on how to better approach them about potentially shadowing (besides cold calling private offices and searching for physicians through hospital websites). I would really appreciate the help!!

Members don't see this ad.

I totally understand how hard it is to find shadowing when you don't know any physicians on a personal level. Here are some things I suggest you to do:
-instead of cold calling, go in person dressed in biz cas. Speaking to a real person makes it so much better. If you are going to a large hospital, I'd go into their volunteer services or graduate medical education department, where shadowing is usually handled. If you are going into a private clinic, going in during an appropriate time (not opening or closing) and asking the front desk, they usually will just ask the physician and you could meet and greet right there. before going in, I'd search up the hospital/clinics directory and find a specific DO doctor and say "this is who I want to shadow, how can I reach this physician in scheduling shadowing?"
-have you tried speaking to your pre-health advisor? Usually they know contacts to hospitals or organizations that can help in finding shadowing.
-weird way, but you could use your own insurance physician finder. You could just filter through the degrees (MD, DO, ARNP, etc.) and select the ones you want to shadow.
-shadow an MD and when you get more comfortable, you can bring up your interest in Osteopathic medicine and ask if he/she knows a DO contact.

Good luck in finding one!!