DO specialties vs MD specialties: whats the difference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

markboonya

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pre- DO with some questions: So as i understand it, DO's can match into either allo or DO residencies. My first question: DO programs have every speciality progams that allos do except for radiology or is that some rumor?

Second question: As a DO, is their an advantage to doing ur (specialized) residency at either DO or MD programs? It seems that a neurosurgeon doesnt really need to do much OMM so what is the difference in philosphy/instruction between the two programs? What does it mean to be in a DO residency? Are your attendings comprised only of DO's as well as your fellow interns/residents?

OK, i should worry about finishing my PS now instead of worrying about matching into a residency, but i was pondering this issue for some time now so any help is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, I think once you get beyond the first 4 years of osteopathic school and *perhaps* the "one year osteopath" intern year, the focus on what is "osteopathic" and what is "allopathic" in terms of clinical approach is really minimal. Residencies are subspecialty training programs, and while in programs for peds, family medicine, and/or manipulation, there might be extra focus on patient anatomy/OMM in osteopathic residencies, I'm sure the training you'd get in surgery and neuro is very similar to allopathic.

That said, DOs go to "MD-residencies" all the time, and they do fine.

I'm not remotely qualified to answer this question from personal experience, but I did just go through the application process and pose very similar questions at interviews to DOs and MDs. Since I'm bored presently, and no one has responded to this yet, I thought I would post it for sh*ts and giggles.

I was told that if you go the DO route, the biggest hurdle is doing well enough on the allopathic boards to be competitive in allopathic residencies--since the DO programs will likely train students specifically for the COMLEX only. Obviously, these are the same (or very similar), but the COMLEX is more varied in the knowledge base, focusing less on newer biochem/research concepts and more on anatomy and pathology detectable on physical exam (or so I was told).

Should DOs feel like they've "missed something" if they haven't taken the USMLE and tried to match into allo residencies? Not really; I don't think so. Both allopaths and osteopaths can make great physicians, and it depends more on what you put into your training and career than what opportunities do/don't drop into your lap just because you have different letters after your name.

Good luck to you, whatever happens with the applications process, whether you decide to go MD or DO. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
There are none

J DUB said:
Can MD's enter osteopathic residencies? I am curious since DO's can enter allopathic residencies.

No. The door only swings the D.O.'s way, in this regard.

I am a DO that finished a DO internship and MD residency. Now once and for all!! For EVERY MD residency there is a DO equivalent. EVERY ONE!!! From peds to fp to neurosurgery to cardiovascular to plastics to rad onc and yes radiology...EVERY ONE!!! And DO's can apply to ANY DO or MD program. Will you get into a MD program? depends.. Neurosurgery at Hopkins? Difficult for DO or MD. FP, IM or Peds at university program? very likely. USMLE vs COMLEX? Pick one and do well. I completed a MD fp program and I will start a top tier MD anesthesia residency soon and I did not take the USMLE. The differences are: availability, geography, ease of applying, and sheer numbers. There are more MD than DO programs, ergo more MD locations and more spots in each specialty. The MD match is 1000x better than the DO system. The match is the reason I chose the MD route, not the training or lack thereof. This will hopfully improve in the future. The same residencies that are competitive for MDs are competitive for DOs. DO vs MD training? Some DO programs are good, some are not, same as MD programs. Generally they are equivalent. The same patients, the same pathology, the same formulary, etc. And one last note: DO's are licensed in EVERY state, to do EVERY procedure as our MD counterparts. So enough of the "can DO's do____". Before you ask, ask youself, "can MD's do______". The answer is the same.

residentx2 said:
I am a DO that finished a DO internship and MD residency. Now once and for all!! For EVERY MD residency there is a DO equivalent. EVERY ONE!!! From peds to fp to neurosurgery to cardiovascular to plastics to rad onc and yes radiology...EVERY ONE!!! And DO's can apply to ANY DO or MD program. Will you get into a MD program? depends.. Neurosurgery at Hopkins? Difficult for DO or MD. FP, IM or Peds at university program? very likely. USMLE vs COMLEX? Pick one and do well. I completed a MD fp program and I will start a top tier MD anesthesia residency soon and I did not take the USMLE. The differences are: availability, geography, ease of applying, and sheer numbers. There are more MD than DO programs, ergo more MD locations and more spots in each specialty. The MD match is 1000x better than the DO system. The match is the reason I chose the MD route, not the training or lack thereof. This will hopfully improve in the future. The same residencies that are competitive for MDs are competitive for DOs. DO vs MD training? Some DO programs are good, some are not, same as MD programs. Generally they are equivalent. The same patients, the same pathology, the same formulary, etc. And one last note: DO's are licensed in EVERY state, to do EVERY procedure as our MD counterparts. So enough of the "can DO's do____". Before you ask, ask youself, "can MD's do______". The answer is the same.

Okay I agree with most of your post except the part about having the same patients. DO patients are orthopods not mamals.

One thing that I have found different between the allo and osteo programs is that the osteo residents get their hands dirty earlier. Sometimes this means that there is a decrease in didactic time with a corresponding increase in actual hands-on performance time.

Residency programs train physicians for specialty boards, thus, you really do not need to worry that you will not get the training you need.

Your choice is more centered on wanting to train in the osteo environment or looking for something else in a program such as a University setting. (or that the AOA still hasn't made a decision to support your residency choice. ;-))

There are many talented physicians who come out of the wide cariety of programs that are out there. Visit programs and ask the residents what they like and don't like about their programs.

electra

Im a 4th year DO guy right now looking at programs. I want to match in an MD residency, (just my personal option)/but should I look at those programs that are dual certified by the ACGME and AOA? OR is there any problem if I am accepted in a ACGME-accredited program only when I am finished.

OR___should I do the internship for the year and apply during the internship year./ Any thoughts?

As long as you meet the AOA requirements for intern rotations, it doesn't matter where you do your internship. Most, if not all MD programs will let you tailor you internship to meet these requirements. Just ask the PD of the program you are interested in and they will apply to AOA for acceptance (if you are not the first DO at that program, they have probably already done this). The small advantage of doing a DO internship is that you automatically meet the requirements. As far as applying for an internship and then the residency, why move twice if you don't have to? My 2 cents...find a residency you like, apply for it, meet the internship requirements and live happily ever after.

THANKS! I agree completely--I don't know if I have a chance in Med-Peds, but I guess I can always do a less competitive IM for a fall-back. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
residentx2 said:
As long as you meet the AOA requirements for intern rotations, it doesn't matter where you do your internship. Most, if not all MD programs will let you tailor you internship to meet these requirements. Just ask the PD of the program you are interested in and they will apply to AOA for acceptance (if you are not the first DO at that program, they have probably already done this). The small advantage of doing a DO internship is that you automatically meet the requirements. As far as applying for an internship and then the residency, why move twice if you don't have to? My 2 cents...find a residency you like, apply for it, meet the internship requirements and live happily ever after.

passthebiscuits said:
Im a 4th year DO guy right now looking at programs. I want to match in an MD residency, (just my personal option)/but should I look at those programs that are dual certified by the ACGME and AOA? OR is there any problem if I am accepted in a ACGME-accredited program only when I am finished.

OR___should I do the internship for the year and apply during the internship year./ Any thoughts?

These two posts demonstrate my frustration with the DO world. Lots of questions, lots of door-knocking, LOTS of uncertainty. As I shop for both MD and DO programs right now, I'm going INSANE.

And of course, the fact that, all of my query and interest in MD programs WILL go down the toilet if I match DO. Meaning, it was a waste of time for me to take USMLE, and to rotate at MD programs.

And really. I'm not sure how many more MD-program websites I can browse to see the roster of faculty and residents all listed as MD's. I only have so much time and patience to search and search and search for the "DO-friendly programs." What is the point, then?

/end rant.

for those of you preferring to match into MD residencies, can u tell me ur personal opinions on why? is there some sort of advantage of being in an MD residency(besides location)? and what are the advantages of a DO residency (espcially for specialized residencies where OMM is not used)? from the above posts, there seems to be no differences at all. i'm a pre-do so this might seem like a newbie question, but i am just curious about the basic differences. Do u work with attendings/residents/interns who are exclusively DOs in a DO residency?

markboonya said:
for those of you preferring to match into MD residencies, can u tell me ur personal opinions on why?

education and research

is there some sort of advantage of being in an MD residency(besides location)?

hospitals tend to be slightly larger, therefore, more procedures, more diversity. I like the thought of patients being able to depend on you for a problem and not have to travel to other cities to get their medical care for "less encountered" problems.

and what are the advantages of a DO residency (espcially for specialized residencies where OMM is not used)?

You're kept in the DO family. Amongst other things, I'm sure. A DO I worked with said to me in our first hour together "Let me tell you something. DO's eat their young." He was referring to the way he was lured into a practice then ultimately squeezed out. Perhaps a situation-specific deal, but it happened, nonetheless. And on the flipside, I'm sure it could happen in any setting. But jeez. That's not pleasant to hear as a 3rd-year DO student.

Do u work with attendings/residents/interns who are exclusively DOs in a DO residency?

At a DO hospital I rotated at, there were MD's teaching, as well as DO's.

markboonya said:
for those of you preferring to match into MD residencies, can u tell me ur personal opinions on why? is there some sort of advantage of being in an MD residency(besides location)? and what are the advantages of a DO residency (espcially for specialized residencies where OMM is not used)? from the above posts, there seems to be no differences at all. i'm a pre-do so this might seem like a newbie question, but i am just curious about the basic differences. Do u work with attendings/residents/interns who are exclusively DOs in a DO residency?

I do not claim to be an expert on the differences b/t osteopathic(AOA) and allopathic(ACGME) programs but I have had experience training at both (as a student) and after spending all my rotations on the road feel fairly well qualified to comment on the difference in training in these two realms.

First, two disclaimers: As stated above, there is a spectrum in quality in both realms. And, for any given individual they will get out of a program what they put in.

The major differences I have noticed are as follows:

1) The major factor in training at a major teaching hospital is having attendings who are PAID to teach you, rather than depending on the kindness of a private attending to sit down with you once and awhile. Of note, most major teaching centers have ACGME programs. The rotations I had at big teaching hospitals were ALWAYS of high quality, whereas the rotations at small community places were frequently country club-esque.

2) Major teaching hospitals not only have a greater amount of pathology, but also technology and facilities that most small community hospitals only dream of.

3) The leaders in a given field, those who publish and /or define the cutting edge of a field tend to migrate to major teaching hospitals/medical centers.

4) As mentioned above, a possible disadvantage of a large medical center is that you often wait behind residents and fellows when it comes to procedures. This being said, if you do not know the reason behind a procedure, knowing how is less important. While you may have to watch instead of do, you are more likely to get a lecture on the various options for that procedure and what the literature says about the effectiveness/safety of that procedure. After all we are training to be physicians, not technicians. There is a legitamate difference of opinion on this issue and it depends on your goals.

5) as stated in above posts, didactics are on average better at acgme programs. This has been my consistent experience and it relates very much to issue #1, that attending involvement is higher and the schedule actually happens. My rotations at a prominent osteopathic hospital was rife with cancelled lectures, most of which were given by interns, or lower level residents. Attendings rarely attended.

6) The last point I'd like to make that really sticks in my craw is that AOA programs have yet to really set themselves apart when it comes to OMT training. I think most of us would love it if these programs aggessively incorporated OMT into the training and published more on the effectiveness of OMT in both the inpt./outpt. areas. I know there are a few small studies here and there, but the burden of proof with OMM is high and tough to study and as of yet I have not seen a really high quality study from a AOA program.

7) the post I quote is from a pre-DO, so let me say to them that I am exteremely proud to be a DO, use OMT at every chance (weekly in an inpt. teaching hospital), and would not trade in my DO degree for anything. I feel my medical school training was great.

I think the fill rates of AOA programs speaks volumes and its time the AOA steps up to the plate and improves quality and quantity of programs. Unfortunately, there is a difference in quality (on average) and its a shame.

I am trying to get my acgme internship approved by the AOA and hope to be involved with teaching at an AOA program when I am an attending (and hopefully get paid to do so!)

DOs and MDs are pretty much the same now. Gone are the days of pure OMM osteopaths. So really the only difference is that DO students are exposed to OMM in med school. Some (very few) continue to use OMM in their practice. Other than that there really is no difference.

I think think if you go to a DO school, you will have a very slightly more difficult time getting into competitive MD residencies. This is b/c there is still some bias (i.e. "not DO friendly"). But this bias is becoming less and less each day.

For example, 29.0% of US MD seniors who applied only to MD Derm residencies in 2005 did NOT match. On the other hand, 59.7% of Independent Applicants (DO's, IMGs, etc.) who applied to MD Derm in 2005 did NOT match - twice as many.

Anyways, if you decide to go to an osteopathic school - like anywhere else - do well on the boards, work hard, and you can get into almost any residency DO or MD.

residentx2 said:

Search fxn was down when he posted this

There is every type of DO residency as an MD residency but the number of these programs in existence vary. For example, there are only 2 osteopathic plastic surgery fellowships in the entire country. Opthalmology and neurosurgery are limited too. So yes, there are osteopathic versions of these residencies but there are not many of these in existence.

Generally speaking, the quality of osteopathic residencies is inferior to that of allopathic residencies. I know that's not going to sit well with some of my osteopathic colleagues on this forum but it's the truth and something needs to be done about it. When I speak to my friends, I don't know anyone who opts for a DO residency particularly in fields in which allopathic residencies readily accept DO's such as primary care fields. Most DO's will elect to do their residency in an allopathic program versus an osteopathic program. The match lists confirm that. Just look at AZCOM, I believe 70% of our graduates do their residency at an allopathic program. And this isn't a criticism against DO's or the osteopathic philosophy. The DO programs themselves are just subpar. Often times they are disorganized and lack the appropriate funding. A major reason for this is the AOA chooses to open new schools each year as opposed to investing that money to creating new residency programs and improving the quality of the existing ones. That may be a trite and old complaint but it still holds true.

The only time I really see people seek out osteopathic residencies are in the competitive and specialized fields that a DO would otherwise not get had he or she applied to an allopathic program such as dermatology, orthopedic surgery or radiology.

novacek88 said:
There is every type of DO residency as an MD residency but the number of these programs in existence vary. For example, there are only 2 osteopathic plastic surgery fellowships in the entire country. Opthalmology and neurosurgery are limited too. So yes, there are osteopathic versions of these residencies but there are not many of these in existence.

Generally speaking, the quality of osteopathic residencies is inferior to that of allopathic residencies. I know that's not going to sit well with some of my osteopathic colleagues on this forum but it's the truth and something needs to be done about it. When I speak to my friends, I don't know anyone who opts for a DO residency particularly in fields in which allopathic residencies readily accept DO's such as primary care fields. Most DO's will elect to do their residency in an allopathic program versus an osteopathic program. The match lists confirm that. Just look at AZCOM, I believe 70% of our graduates do their residency at an allopathic program. And this isn't a criticism against DO's or the osteopathic philosophy. The DO programs themselves are just subpar. Often times they are disorganized and lack the appropriate funding. A major reason for this is the AOA chooses to open new schools each year as opposed to investing that money to creating new residency programs and improving the quality of the existing ones. That may be a trite and old complaint but it still holds true.

The only time I really see people seek out osteopathic residencies are in the competitive and specialized fields that a DO would otherwise not get had he or she applied to an allopathic program such as dermatology, orthopedic surgery or radiology.

Not to wake up a sleeping dog-but your post illustrates the AOA's motive for opposing a seperate match.

macman said:
Not to wake up a sleeping dog-but your post illustrates the AOA's motive for opposing a seperate match.

Yes, but it also 'illustrates' to the pre-DO the differences and challenges that do, indeed exist. To suggest otherwise would be dishonest.

DrMaryC said:
Yes, but it also 'illustrates' to the pre-DO the differences and challenges that do, indeed exist. To suggest otherwise would be dishonest.

I do not understand your post. Are you agreeing or disagreeing and on what basis. I was agreeing with the post (as you could tell from my extensive post above) and adding an editorial regarding why the AOA fears a combined match. Please expand on your post.

macman said:
I do not understand your post. Are you agreeing or disagreeing and on what basis. I was agreeing with the post (as you could tell from my extensive post above) and adding an editorial regarding why the AOA fears a combined match. Please expand on your post.

:) I agree with you and Novacek. My post comes from my opposition of the opposers of the combined match. The ones who, bless their hearts, stand up and say there is no difference in the residencies, etc, and the fact that putting this restriction on our medical careers pretty much only serves their inadequacies.

I truly appreciate the pride in the DO world. But it sure is an expensive type of pride. I have a relative who is a DO, graduated decades back. He was just commenting on how ridiculously expensive the schools are for what you get in return.

Why would new schools influence the quality of residency programs? It's not like the money is pooled from a single source that is simultaneously responsible for funding residency programs.

It's hard to oppose new schools in a time of greater healthcare demand, given the fact that the AMA has been artificially limitting the market supply of physicians for 100 years. For this reason I have no sympathies to their cries for what to do with all of these new graduates.

IMO if DOs are the future of healthcare we need to start by showing we are not affraid of competition. Even if that means having our extra new graduates compete for extra spots with IMGs, etc.

I'd also imagine that competition would by itself also be a good thing for the survival of osteopathic residencies? Extra DOs graduating means there will be fewer Allo primary care positions unfilled per year, and thus more going into the osteopathic primary care positions which are truly dying.

wow ok, so i guess i will be taking the usmle for sure then. thanks for all the detailed and honest input.

beastmaster said:
Why would new schools influence the quality of residency programs? It's not like the money is pooled from a single source that is simultaneously responsible for funding residency programs.

It's hard to oppose new schools in a time of greater healthcare demand, given the fact that the AMA has been artificially limitting the market supply of physicians for 100 years. For this reason I have no sympathies to their cries for what to do with all of these new graduates.

IMO if DOs are the future of healthcare we need to start by showing we are not affraid of competition. Even if that means having our extra new graduates compete for extra spots with IMGs, etc.

I'd also imagine that competition would by itself also be a good thing for the survival of osteopathic residencies? Extra DOs graduating means there will be fewer Allo primary care positions unfilled per year, and thus more going into the osteopathic primary care positions which are truly dying.

Don't mistake the criticism for more DO schools opening as a attack on osteopathy or an argument to limit DO graduates. On the surface having more DOs is a great thing. Your post does not directly address two key issues in the process that makes a person a physician from a student.

1) Clinical rotations- as it stands now, few established DO schools have their own teaching hospitals and must farm out 3-4 year training to affiliated sites. As new schools come on line, they should first be able to train these students in the clinical realm. Adding new schools in the midst of small community hospitals (read osteopathic hospitals) closing is a bit irresponsible in my opinion. For example, as a NYCOM student, you will likely face increased competition for clinical rotations where and when you want them from these new schools.

2) Residencies- The number of students is rising and the number of AOA spots has not risen significantly in years. Aren't you a bit disturbed that we do not have the capacity to train our own students....shouldn't that bother us all? Doesn't this perpetuate one of the biggest problems we have now in the DO profession in that we reach the peak of our OMM/OMT skills as second year students b/c on balance osteopathic clinical training is in shambles (rotations and residency)

Shouldn't we fix the clinical training first before throwing even more students into the process????

You are clearly concerned about the lack of primary care physicians.....but is flooding the marketplace with poorly trained DOs who get railroaded into a primary care field the answer?

I will now step down from my sudsy soap box........ ;)

Concerning the DO education for the first 2 years in classroom, I think DO's are getting the same info to learn. After living in one city practically for all my life and then having to move out of state 9 hours away for 3rd and 4th year rotations, I have more negative things to say than positive just on that fact alone. The majority of the rotation sites my school had for us are not desirable places for rotations. Most of them are in dinky hospitals with attendings who are private practice docs willing to take students along for the ride (no affiliation with any residency program whatsoever).

Concerning residency, I think that there are indeed some really good DO residencies, most notably ortho, but I think that there are some really iffy ones as well. Some of them are so small and the hospitals they are at make me wonder how they even find the patient variety or population at all. About the railroading DO's into primary care, that is for sure. The majority of DO residencies that do exist are mainly primary care. For a DO to not do primary care, they have to do an allopathic residency, which I don't think is a bad thing anyway. The specialty residencies that the AOA have are tiny with only 1-2 openings per year. With that being said, yes there are opportunities for DO's to get into allopathic residencies, but the more competitive ones will require the USMLE to be considered (or a really high COMLEX score alone >90th %tile).

With all the above said, I am not unproud of my DO education whatsoever. I just think more DO students need to realize that the road of rotations and to residency is bumpier than the MD's, but is obviously doable. Look at Macman--he scored a really decent residency. Congrats macman.

My reason for going Allo has to do with my fiance being in an Allo school and us needing to couples' match. But there do seem to be differences as many have stated already.

1. More university-based hospitals with research/fellowship opportunities. There are a few DO progs that have this too, but many more seem to be community based.

2. Larger programs where you see more variety of cases, have higher volumes of patients. This again ties in to university centers.

3. Didactic teaching seems to be more of a focus (then again, this is not always better). Also, teaching faculty can be renowned (sp?) in their field and this looks good when you need to get a job in the future based on your programs reputation.

There are a lot of slight differences, but those tend to be the big ones for me. Then again, thanks to my fiance, I don't really have a choice! ;)

Does a graduate from a D.O. school have to take the USMLE in order to match into an allopathic residency or does the COMLEX suffice? Thanks in advance you nerdy people....

mizzoudude said:
Does a graduate from a D.O. school have to take the USMLE in order to match into an allopathic residency or does the COMLEX suffice? Thanks in advance you nerdy people....

It depends. Most residencies take COMLEX, and some do not.