Do statistics classes count towards science GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nm825

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, I gave seen this question before, but it seems to be unsettled.

I am an economics major and pre-med.

For my economics classes, I have to take three stats classes in the STAT department at my school.

The first two classes are called "Statistics for Economic and Business Majors" parts 1 and 2. The third class is called "Intermediate Statistical Laboratory: Statistical Computing Packages."

Would these classes count if they are offered through the STAT department?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks.

So, even if the Stat class has "...for Economics and Business Majors," that would still count?

It's still a STAT course, it doesn't have to be geared towards pre-meds to be included in BCPM. As long as the majority of the class is statistics based, it counts.

well my economic statistic course didnt count as a BCPM course. I listed as if it was an economic course and I had no problems. I think the key thing is what kind of prefix does it have; if it says ECON like mine did, then it probably wouldnt count as a math course

well my economic statistic course didnt count as a BCPM course. I listed as if it was an economic course and I had no problems. I think the key thing is what kind of prefix does it have; if it says ECON like mine did, then it probably wouldnt count as a math course

OP said they are offered through the STAT department

Thanks.

So, even if the Stat class has "...for Economics and Business Majors," that would still count?

Yes, just as "Psychological Statistics" does.

Reactions: 1 user
If you had listed it as math, not econ, it probably WOULD have counted. The prefix is the quickest way to assign subjects to the courses, but that doesn't prevent you from indicating a course in a different department really falls under BCMP. Even if AMCAS changes such a designation, you have a chance to appeal and explain why you believe a course falls under BCMP.

I had Psych Stats included in my BCPM when I applied. I think it was recorded as psych.

Would this include elementary statistics?

Yes. Stats = Math = BCPM
My calculus professor would beg to differ but other than that :p

If you had listed it as math, not econ, it probably WOULD have counted. The prefix is the quickest way to assign subjects to the courses, but that doesn't prevent you from indicating a course in a different department really falls under BCMP. Even if AMCAS changes such a designation, you have a chance to appeal and explain why you believe a course falls under BCMP.
You're allowed to change the department designation of a course to what you think it should be in? How does that work? Seems somewhat dishonest and it also seems like it would lead to a lot of confusion when you change, say, ECON201 to MATH201, except that at your college MATH201 is linear algebra, not to mention the issues that will come up when adcoms look at your AMCAS and college transcript and try to match up the courses.

Anyway, this whole BCPM deal scares me. I was a neuroscience major so virtually all of my upper division courses were designated as NEURO or PSYC, even though nearly all of the psych courses I took were really just bio classes taught by the psych department.

You're allowed to change the department designation of a course to what you think it should be in? How does that work? Seems somewhat dishonest and it also seems like it would lead to a lot of confusion when you change, say, ECON201 to MATH201, except that at your college MATH201 is linear algebra, not to mention the issues that will come up when adcoms look at your AMCAS and college transcript and try to match up the courses.

Anyway, this whole BCPM deal scares me. I was a neuroscience major so virtually all of my upper division courses were designated as NEURO or PSYC, even though nearly all of the psych courses I took were really just bio classes taught by the psych department.

You are allowed to categorize any course however you want. So you would put ECON201 and then select Mathematics as the AMCAS category underneath it. Assuming that the description on your transcript is statistics, they won't change it.

The same way, if you have PSYC 304 and it's described as "neuroanatomy" or "neuroscience" or something along those lines, you'll just select "Biology" as the AMCAS category.

The course number is what the university says it is, but the AMCAS classification you choose. For example, I took a pharmacology course that consisted mostly of anatomy and cell biology, so I called it bio. AMCAS left that designation so it punted toward my BCPM GPA. If your courses were bio content, designate them as such and the worst that will happen is tey will change it for you.