DO Stigma?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eichetotheizzo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, calm down. No need to get your bp hitting the ceiling.

I am actually going to attend a DO school next year, and just wanted to share information with other fellow pre-meds that may be worrying about MD>DO and all the so-called 'stigma' talk circulating in college pre-med classes (Not here to start a war. Just want to share information)

I was fortunate to be able to speak with a DO doing her fellowship in Ped.Hem.Onc. and a couple residency directors in Oregon (One, who is Ped.Hem.Onc. in OHSU Doernbecher Children's Hospital and another, who is IM, within Legacy Health Systems in Portland.) They are both M.D.s and I knew them for some time. They were able to share their thoughts on osteopathic medicine with me, since I was applying to DO schools :

To sum up the conversations I had with all three doctors, they said:

In primary care fields (FM, PED, IM, etc) at a general hospital(non-academic), there is no feelings of stigma with a D.O. degree at all. DOs are considered as equal in competence to MDs.

In academia, however, it is more difficult for DOs to be considered equal to MDs. This is not because DOs are not as smart as MDs. It is because the goal of academic physicians in university hospitals is to climb the professor ladder (associate professor, etc.) All 3 doctors said that DOs are known to be trained with more focus on patient care , rather than MDs who are schooled with a more research focus. That being said, it is more difficult for DOs to work in academic hospitals (not saying impossible; just a little harder). That being said, it is slightly more difficult for DOs to go into fields like oncology, where research is a huge factor. (Again, DO focuses on clinical, MDs on research)

Each residency director has a ranking of DO schools that their program selects students from. This ranking list is different for EVERY hospital. I know in the Legacy health systems in Oregon, the residency director for IM program told me they favor heavily IM graduates from Western and DMU-COM, and Touro-CA. (Geographics is a huge factor, since students from the east are less likely to apply to oregon.) This ranking list that the program has, is mostly based on the most recent resident's assessment- Therefore, if there is a resident that graduated from Western that was excellent that year, for example, the residency program will more likely choose another candidate from Western the next year. The director actually even said there were some schools whose students they won't consider at all the next year because of the poor assessments of residents.

They all stressed that if you are interested in primary care, DOs definitely = MDs. If you are interested in fields relating to research, there will be a slight disadvantage to be DO instead of MDs.

All in all, I think how your upperclass students do in their residency will impact your future. (This goes for MD schools as well)

BTW, i'm excited to attend DO school, where I will be able to get the best patient care training I will need for the future. This post was just to share knowledge with you at the residency level.

Members don't see this ad.

Nice post :thumbup: This is exactly what I have heard from DO's in academic vs. non-academic hospitals as well.

If you don't mind me asking, what school are you attending next year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for taking the time. Good assessment/perspective.

eichetotheizzo, you're from Portland? so am I. That's some great info about Legacy and IM residency placements seeing as I'm probably going to DMU and would love to return to Oregon. Where are you going?

eichetotheizzo, you're from Portland? so am I. That's some great info about Legacy and IM residency placements seeing as I'm probably going to DMU and would love to return to Oregon. Where are you going?

Hi,

I'm actually going to attend either PCOM or UMDNJ-SOM next year. (I'm from New Jersey) I spent 2 summers ago in Oregon where I did an undergraduate research program at OHSU. I spent that summer shadowing at Doernbecher Children's Hospital in Ped.Hem.Onc. OHSU is an AWESOME place and if I was a state resident in Oregon, that would def. be my first choice (Just loved the area and people and culture)

The residency director for IM at Legacy told me that they loved last year's Western and DMU students. Since she knew I loved oregon so much, she actually strongly recommended I apply to those two schools. (I wanted to be close to home however)

Good luck going to DMU. It's a great school.

Nice post :thumbup: This is exactly what I have heard from DO's in academic vs. non-academic hospitals as well.

If you don't mind me asking, what school are you attending next year?

Either PCOM or UMDNJ-SOM. Right now, I am most likely going to go to UMDNJ-SOM. It is much cheaper and provides pretty much the same great education.

I've personally yet to experience this stigmata. I hope that in the workplace I won't be viewed as different b/c of it.....I can just wear gloves or something.

a good doctor is a good doctor.

Nice post. It is funny that you brought this up, because my friend and I were just talking the other day about research, and how neither of us really want any part of it. I think research is great and obviously necessary, and God bless the people who do it, but I simply do not want to do research. I am not looking to discover the cure for cancer or invent the next wonder drug, though it would be cool. I just want to treat people and be a doctor. Plain and simple. Which is why for me DO/MD makes no difference. I will apply to both, but I must admit, I have been doing some things with a couple of DO's and I am beginning to really, really, like the way (some) DO's practice medicine. I went to a lecture about OMT in surgery last night and it was absolutely incredible. IMO, anyone who discounts OMT to just being vodoo, back cracking, or placebo needs to do some reading and pull their closed minded head out of their a**. :D

Ok, calm down. No need to get your bp hitting the ceiling.

I am actually going to attend a DO school next year, and just wanted to share information with other fellow pre-meds that may be worrying about MD>DO and all the so-called 'stigma' talk circulating in college pre-med classes (Not here to start a war. Just want to share information)

I was fortunate to be able to speak with a DO doing her fellowship in Ped.Hem.Onc. and a couple residency directors in Oregon (One, who is Ped.Hem.Onc. in OHSU Doernbecher Children's Hospital and another, who is IM, within Legacy Health Systems in Portland.) They are both M.D.s and I knew them for some time. They were able to share their thoughts on osteopathic medicine with me, since I was applying to DO schools :

To sum up the conversations I had with all three doctors, they said:

In primary care fields (FM, PED, IM, etc) at a general hospital(non-academic), there is no feelings of stigma with a D.O. degree at all. DOs are considered as equal in competence to MDs.

In academia, however, it is more difficult for DOs to be considered equal to MDs. This is not because DOs are not as smart as MDs. It is because the goal of academic physicians in university hospitals is to climb the professor ladder (associate professor, etc.) All 3 doctors said that DOs are known to be trained with more focus on patient care , rather than MDs who are schooled with a more research focus. That being said, it is more difficult for DOs to work in academic hospitals (not saying impossible; just a little harder). That being said, it is slightly more difficult for DOs to go into fields like oncology, where research is a huge factor. (Again, DO focuses on clinical, MDs on research)

Each residency director has a ranking of DO schools that their program selects students from. This ranking list is different for EVERY hospital. I know in the Legacy health systems in Oregon, the residency director for IM program told me they favor heavily IM graduates from Western and DMU-COM, and Touro-CA. (Geographics is a huge factor, since students from the east are less likely to apply to oregon.) This ranking list that the program has, is mostly based on the most recent resident's assessment- Therefore, if there is a resident that graduated from Western that was excellent that year, for example, the residency program will more likely choose another candidate from Western the next year. The director actually even said there were some schools whose students they won't consider at all the next year because of the poor assessments of residents.

They all stressed that if you are interested in primary care, DOs definitely = MDs. If you are interested in fields relating to research, there will be a slight disadvantage to be DO instead of MDs.

All in all, I think how your upperclass students do in their residency will impact your future. (This goes for MD schools as well)

BTW, i'm excited to attend DO school, where I will be able to get the best patient care training I will need for the future. This post was just to share knowledge with you at the residency level.

That's a great post, thanks for sharing! :D

Hey OP .... great post:thumbup:

Honest, to the point, and fair. However, the only thing I don't understand is the residency director comment?? Are you saying this is at academic hospitals ... or all MD residencies or what? I've just never heard of it (especially not in AOA residencies).

While your intentions are cettainly good there are some things that should be mentioned. One cannot generalize based on talking to three doctors. MOST residencies do NOT have a ranking list of DO schools that they select from. The fact that someone ahead of you gets a slot has very little influence on whether or not you will get it next year. Obtaining a residency is just like applying to medical school all over again. Your board scores, letters of recommendation, application, and GPA all play a part into whether or not you get an interview. Yes, you go through this process all over again. There are some programs that have a tendency to look more closely at particular schools, especially if they have an affiliation with them, but NOT MOST of them. Once you gete the interview, the PDs are looking to see your work ethic and how well you integrate into their program. Your board scores get you an interview and your interview gets you the job.

While your intentions are cettainly good there are some things that should be mentioned. One cannot generalize based on talking to three doctors. MOST residencies do NOT have a ranking list of DO schools that they select from. The fact that someone ahead of you gets a slot has very little influence on whether or not you will get it next year. Obtaining a residency is just like applying to medical school all over again. Your board scores, letters of recommendation, application, and GPA all play a part into whether or not you get an interview. Yes, you go through this process all over again. There are some programs that have a tendency to look more closely at particular schools, especially if they have an affiliation with them, but NOT MOST of them. Once you gete the interview, the PDs are looking to see your work ethic and how well you integrate into their program. Your board scores get you an interview and your interview gets you the job.

Ok, maybe not every single residency in America has this ranking list. But I was just sharing knowledge that those doctors have taught me. Personally, I have always wondered what residency directors had to say about DO and ranking lists; so I thought that the information I received would help others that were curious as well.
All in all, I suppose these ranking lists are at least present in Oregon residencies (probably in other major hospitals as well).

Hey OP .... great post:thumbup:

Honest, to the point, and fair. However, the only thing I don't understand is the residency director comment?? Are you saying this is at academic hospitals ... or all MD residencies or what? I've just never heard of it (especially not in AOA residencies).

Academia

All in all, I suppose these ranking lists are at least present in Oregon residencies (probably in other major hospitals as well).

They may be, but residencies aren't even done the same way in the same hospital often times-- they are program director specific. For instance, the hospital where I used to work has an EM residency where they pretty much have a policy of taking one DO per year. They take the best available, but have taken none on occasion when there was not a standout. They don't even look at FMGs or IMGs, though. The FM residency often has several of both. OB/GYN has never had a DO, but takes FMGs. General Surgery has never had a DO but usually takes at least one Carribean grad. Psychiatry often has a DO, but no FMGs. IM occasionally takes DOs. Peds has been known to take several DOs, but no FMGs. The DOs that were taken in the past have come from a big mixture of schools.