DO student applying MD Anesthesia. Number if applications needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tldo5250

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN

Sorry for the repost but I figured this would be better suited here.

I am a newly minted 4th year DO student planing to apply to MD Anesthesia. I currently have a list of ~60 programs (none of them are in California, none in the northeast higher than Pennsylvania) to which I am planning to apply. Although a I know it's a very subjective question to answer... Do you think this is enough or is more needed to secure enough interviews to have a good chance at matching. My stats are:
Comlex 1 - 569 (first attempt)
Usmle Step 1 - 239 (first attempt)
GPA - 3.53
Letters - Decent but no huge names
Research Experience - None in Medical School
Volunteer Experience - None (unless donating blood every few months counts)

Thank you for your time. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Based on the DOs I met on the interview trail and my experience, that's actually on the higher side of things. With your stats you'll probably end up canceling a number of interviews, but if you've got the money to spare then go for it.

More importantly might be making sure you apply to enough prelim/TY programs.

With those scores and strong letters, I would recommend no less than 8-9 interviews for a match. Greater than 12 would be a huge waste of money, IMHO. But who knows. You also can't account for programs surprising you...

I'd say with 60 programs selected (does this count categorical and advanced separately??) you will likely get at least 15 interview offers.

Bottom line, you SHOULD be fine for anesthesia barring any major personality defects.

Members don't see this ad :)
my stats were basically the same as yours. I applied to about 80 and received 22 invitations. I canceled 9 and went on 13 (which was way too many). IMO, you've come this far, cast a wide net and see where you get offers, narrow it down to 9-10, and go from there.

Apply to many. Schedule as many interviews as you can. Attend all interviews until you throw up in your mouth as you are answering the same BS question for the twentieth time. There has to physically be puke otherwise you will need to interview more. Studies show that when you get to this point, your chance of matching is between 20 and 100%. You will match at the program which you "answer puke" 0% of the time.

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the input. I have a follow up question if you'd oblige me... the 60 on my list currently are a mix, a few offering pgy 1 year for all potential matchers, most offering some positions for potential matchers (but not all), and a few being strictly pgy2 starters. How many internships should one apply for and how many interviews should one go on? And I assume the match algorithm tries to place you with the same institution for pgy1 and 2 but if the program where you end up doesn't have one or it is already full... does it just kick down to your highest ranked pgy1 year only and match you there?

Thanks everyone. I really appreciate the input. I have a follow up question if you'd oblige me... the 60 on my list currently are a mix, a few offering pgy 1 year for all potential matchers, most offering some positions for potential matchers (but not all), and a few being strictly pgy2 starters. How many internships should one apply for and how many interviews should one go on? And I assume the match algorithm tries to place you with the same institution for pgy1 and 2 but if the program where you end up doesn't have one or it is already full... does it just kick down to your highest ranked pgy1 year only and match you there?

Negative Ghost-Rider, the pattern is full.

In all seriousness, for each advanced position, you create a "if I match here, then rank the following prelims as follows" list. I didn't do this, because I did my internship two years ago, but that was the setup I noticed when creating my ROL. If this is incorrect or incomplete, I'd encourage others to chime in as appropriate.

Negative Ghost-Rider, the pattern is full.

In all seriousness, for each advanced position, you create a "if I match here, then rank the following prelims as follows" list. I didn't do this, because I did my internship two years ago, but that was the setup I noticed when creating my ROL. If this is incorrect or incomplete, I'd encourage others to chime in as appropriate.

That's correct. Here's an example: on your primary rank list, you put all your anesthesia programs. Say hospital A has both categorical (PGY-1 start) and advanced (PGY-2 start) spots. Hospital A will count as 2 separate ranks on your list. If you prefer the categorical spot, you rank it higher than the advanced spot. For each advanced program, you can create a "supplemental list", to which you add your preliminary IM/surgery or TY positions you interviewed for. You can make a different supplemental list for each different advanced program if you'd like, or you can make 1 supplemental list and apply it to all of the advanced programs.

Take step 2 for both exams. If you do just as well, no need to apply to 60 programs. 30-40 applications at places that are realistic (along with a few "reach" applications) and in areas you want to go should be fine.

Glad I found this post! I have similar stats (DO applying to MD programs, step 1 240, step 2 239, GPA 3.7, anesthesia research in med school). I've been told to apply to 40-50 programs. I wasn't sure on advice for advanced programs with their respective prelim options. Any advice there would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much! And good luck on rotations/interviews/applications/etc etc etc

dont limit yourself. you never know who will offer you an interview. I'm a DO, matched MD gas with 232 step 1, 247 step 2. i got some pretty nice interviews that i was not expecting. i applied to a bunch and got picky once the interviews started coming in. i suggest you do the same. i spent a lot of money applying, but i do not regret it. i would absolutely regret not going on enough interviews and not matching.

dont limit yourself. you never know who will offer you an interview. I'm a DO, matched MD gas with 232 step 1, 247 step 2. i got some pretty nice interviews that i was not expecting. i applied to a bunch and got picky once the interviews started coming in. i suggest you do the same. i spent a lot of money applying, but i do not regret it. i would absolutely regret not going on enough interviews and not matching.

Shinkansen,

What do you think is the minimum step 1 score for a DO to have a reasonable chance at matching MD anesthesia?

no idea, id just look up the average for this years match and use that as your starting point.

I'm a DO applying to allopathic anesthesia. As of now, I only got 1 invite, and my step 1 is 243, step 2 and comlex 2 scores pending. I begin to panic seeing that so many invites have been sent out. Should I start adding more programs to my list of 40 programs? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm a DO applying to allopathic anesthesia. As of now, I only got 1 invite, and my step 1 is 243, step 2 and comlex 2 scores pending. I begin to panic seeing that so many invites have been sent out. Should I start adding more programs to my list of 40 programs? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

It really depends on the 40 you chose. Did you pick a safe number of low end and mid tier programs? How many of those 40 are a reach? Your step 1 is obviously competitive but doesn't carry you as far as it would for a US senior. I'm pretty sure the majority of invites will be going out this next week and the following one, but they probably spread throughout Nov as well since people will be cancelling.

I think you'll be fine. I have a similar score (a little lower) and have received quite a few interviews. The only difference is I took step 2 in June.

40 programs is roughly half the number of anesthesia programs out there. Given your scores it's going to be very unlikely that all of those, or even a majority, are reaches. Just give it time.

Hey SDN,

Thanks for all the help before and hopefully you can help me and these other people a little nervous about interview numbers as well. My step 2 ended up being 253/580 and I ended up with 2 attending anesthesiologists and one chair of anesthesia for letters. Otherwise my stats can be seen in the very first post. I ended up applying to 52 programs I decided I'd be really happy with. I am currently sitting at 7 Anesthesia interviews (all of which I'm thrilled about) and 3 TY's. Have most of the offers been made at this point and thus we should only expect to see a sporadic number going forward? Or do I still have hope of reaching my goal of 12-15 anesthesia interviews? Also, when is it time to send out the "I'm very interested" emails to programs who have not offered an interview yet.

Thanks again for your input on this matter.

Hey SDN,

Thanks for all the help before and hopefully you can help me and these other people a little nervous about interview numbers as well. My step 2 ended up being 253/580 and I ended up with 2 attending anesthesiologists and one chair of anesthesia for letters. Otherwise my stats can be seen in the very first post. I ended up applying to 52 programs I decided I'd be really happy with. I am currently sitting at 7 Anesthesia interviews (all of which I'm thrilled about) and 3 TY's. Have most of the offers been made at this point and thus we should only expect to see a sporadic number going forward? Or do I still have hope of reaching my goal of 12-15 anesthesia interviews? Also, when is it time to send out the "I'm very interested" emails to programs who have not offered an interview yet.

Thanks again for your input on this matter.

Relax. More interviews will be forthcoming and you will match.

You are all SOOO screwed! I heard that the programs have already submitted their rank lists. Good luck with the scramble!; )

Reactions: 1 user