DO student realistic chances for allo radiology

Started by dwthree
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dwthree

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have been set on another specialty since first year of medical school until I recently completed my required radiology rotation and unexpectedly found out I love it. Only catch is I'm a DO student. I'm wanting to know my chances for allo programs. Also, I'm looking for direction as to what my next step is. Are auditions necessary? When should I schedule them for? How many are appropriate? I will take any advice provided.

Usmle Step I-245
Comlex Step I-634
Top 5% class rank
Third year grades-all honors except OB/GYN
ZERO research or publication***
Strong LOR's so far

I would love honest responses. I'm aware being a DO is difficult. Thanks in advance.
 
If there are programs you're really interested in, you can consider auditions. They're helpful if you're interested in going out of the area you're from or where your med school is from.

My advice is to apply broadly; I posted some DO friendly programs in the what are my chances thread; Pitt and dartmouth are two mid/upper tiers that are pretty DO friendly (and have DO PDs) but I would pick 50-60 programs to apply to with a mix of mid and upper tier university programs and good community programs with reaches as you see fit. Try to get some research before 9/15; maybe an away research elective isn't a bad idea.



I have been set on another specialty since first year of medical school until I recently completed my required radiology rotation and unexpectedly found out I love it. Only catch is I'm a DO student. I'm wanting to know my chances for allo programs. Also, I'm looking for direction as to what my next step is. Are auditions necessary? When should I schedule them for? How many are appropriate? I will take any advice provided.

Usmle Step I-245
Comlex Step I-634
Top 5% class rank
Third year grades-all honors except OB/GYN
ZERO research or publication***
Strong LOR's so far

I would love honest responses. I'm aware being a DO is difficult. Thanks in advance.
 
Thanks for the reply. I'm from the midwest, go to school in the midwest, and would prefer to stay. There is not a radiology resideny or research elective at my core hospital. Do I just apply to midwest programs for this position? Also, is there a website that will point me towards realistic mid-tier programs? Thanks again.

If there are programs you're really interested in, you can consider auditions. They're helpful if you're interested in going out of the area you're from or where your med school is from.

My advice is to apply broadly; I posted some DO friendly programs in the what are my chances thread; Pitt and dartmouth are two mid/upper tiers that are pretty DO friendly (and have DO PDs) but I would pick 50-60 programs to apply to with a mix of mid and upper tier university programs and good community programs with reaches as you see fit. Try to get some research before 9/15; maybe an away research elective isn't a bad idea.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the reply. I'm from the midwest, go to school in the midwest, and would prefer to stay. There is not a radiology resideny or research elective at my core hospital. Do I just apply to midwest programs for this position? Also, is there a website that will point me towards realistic mid-tier programs? Thanks again.

St. Lukes, Beaumont, and chicago area comm programs would bw more lower tier, Ford, UIC, Loyola, Rush, UMKC, MCW, IU, would be sort of the type of program that should be your bread/butter. Wisconsin, Iowa, Mayo, UChicago, Pitt, would be more reaches, MIR, Michigan, Northwestern, etc would be serious reaches.
 
Also, I'd do an away at the best possible program you can to get recs. Wisconsin, Mayo, Northwestern, MIR, are all good choices.
 
One more thing, go to www.matchapplicants.com and put in "COMLEX > 400" or w/e as your search criteria and it'll show you all the DO applicants who've made profiles recently. It'll at least give you some sense of what programs DOs are interviewing at.
 
Awesome...Thank you so much for the advice. I appreciate it more than you know. Hopefully I'm not in too far over my head with this thing!
 
You should research programs in your area of interest and see how many DO applicants they've taken in the past. In my experience it REALLY varies. For example Penn State had several DOs and UPMC has a DO program director.

Is it possible? Absolutely, especially with your stats. You just have a little more homework to do in deciding which programs to apply to to maximize your chances. Of course I suppose you could go with the throw them all against the wall and see what sticks approach too..