DO Students and USMLE Step I

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr JPH

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For DO students who take USMLE I, do our scores automatically get send to the residencies we apply to or do we need to send them on our own?

I guess what I am asking is...if we f@#* up the USMLE, can we NOT have our scores seen?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

the USMLE score and information on when you took it is a separate box to fill in when you apply thru ERAS (the online application form you use to apply to allopathic residencies)....to begin with, under the "GENERAL INFORMATION" section of the application, there's a box to enter your USMLE ID # (if you did take it) and NBOME ID#, then under the "EXAMINATIONS" section they'll have a box to check off if you took the USMLE, the date, and if you passed...if you screw up the USMLE and you want noone to know, you can just leave the USMLE ID # slot and everything else about the score and the date blank, and they'll assume you didn't take it....in addition, the COMLEX and USMLE transcript transmission options are two separate things to click on when you use ERAS, and if you don't click to transmit the USMLE transcript, noone will get your score--so yes, you DO send your scores out yourself (just make sure you don't put down that you took it or give them a USMLE idea number on the GENERAL INFORMATION section of the ERAS application).....however, if this is ethical or not is up to you....

I believe this is true, from the sources I have seen. HOWEVER, I expect to be asked "did you take the USMLE?" when I interview, and if I dont list it on my app, I have some explaining to do.