Do taller and/or good looking people have an edge in the admissions process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's a depressing day for short girls.

*just got my first waitlist, the only interview was with a woman - she must not have found me attractive*

Members don't see this ad.

ElKapitan said:
That is very funny yet sad at the same time, especially since I have a penis.

A female with a penis :eek:

TheProwler said:
Well, I'm not tall for a guy - something like an inch and a half under the mean - but I like to think I'm above average-looking. :laugh: I certainly would doubt that my looks would hurt my application.

What happens to be the mean for a guy these days? Just curious where I stand.

Members don't see this ad :)
relema said:
Well for my sake I hope tall women make more money :)

I agree. I'm the tallest girl in my class so if we make more money I'm set. :D
I think it weirds some of my patients out though. Especially the guys if they stand up when I walk in the room and realize I'm as tall as or taller than them. I always try to sit or lean on something so they don't feel bothered by it.

i may be attractive, but standing at 5'5" doesn't exactly provide that tall demeanor. maybe time for some HGH, i dont want to develop a little man complex and start shooting roids. :eek:

TheProwler said:
Regardless of individual situations, if you're obese, your interviewer is more likely to think that you lack self-control and motivation.

Touche. No one wants a fat doc. The patient wonders: If the doc can't take care of himself/herself, how can he/she take care of me? I had one doc who was extremely obese and this was the first thought that came to my mind.

PineappleGirl said:
Touche. No one wants a fat doc. The patient wonders: If the doc can't take care of himself/herself, how can he/she take care of me? I had one doc who was extremely obese and this was the first thought that came to my mind.

Same thing with a doctor who smokes. People expect doctors to be healthy examples because they should know better.

Short people unite! 5'3" right here...but with heels I hit the elusive 5'4" mark. Luckily interviews are conducted while sitting down.

relema said:
Well for my sake I hope tall women make more money :)

And work more reasonable hours! :)

skiracer90 said:
Short people unite! 5'3" right here...but with heels I hit the elusive 5'4" mark. Luckily interviews are conducted while sitting down.

At least you can WEAR heels. I had to go to 5 different stores to find some FLAT dress shoes for my interviews! (cuz heels = toppling down!) :laugh:

Im a 6'5'' white guy. I can say I've ben given preferential treatment in many circumstances simply from appeareances alone. Especially when applying for jobs. However, I believe medicine is different than other fields in this regard. The rigors of the pre-med path alone nearly precludes anyone who's hung up on their appearances as a means of achieving success. Furthermore I think that a sample population of medical aspirants and practitioners would reveal a higher percentage of over-achieving-under-sexually-stimulating shortish nerds than the average population who might resent the idea of a bimbo type man or woman getting by without the hardwork attitude. But that's just my view--from up hear looking at the top of your hustling little pre-med heads.--Ben

I know a lot more pre-meds who are "hot" than not.