Do thank you notes really have no bearing on your application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pennylane8991

Reaction score
I know that everyone says that thank you notes are not important and are not factored into admissions decisions. But, I have sent a couple of thank you notes, and when the interviewers replied, they CC'ed the admissions office. This makes it seem like they're adding it to my file or something. Does anyone know why they do this?

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you notes are a kind gesture and they let people know that you were raised right. They do not sway a decision (if it were that easy, the entire process would be senseless).

CCing is probably a means for interviewers to let admissions know that they simply responded. I have been emailed more than once asking if I received a thank you.

Reactions: 2 users
We submit our interview notes in, basically, real time. Even in a traditional, in-person interview, expect that your interviewer's notes are on their way to committee before your feet leave the campus facilities.

They're nice, but no.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As with all things, it depends. Some general advice -- you should do this because it's a polite/courteous thing to do. As you embark on a medical career, there is the concept of "professionalism" which is a vitally important quality.

Most of the time, it does not matter. In large programs/medical school applications with rolling admissions, matters little to none. As prior responses have indicated, ratings/notes are submitted basically right after the interview is finished. That said, as you go higher and higher up in your training (med school -> residency -> fellowship) where there are fewer interviews/spots and something called "the match", which is the exact opposite of rolling admissions/multiple offers (lol). There are usually discussions at the end of the interview season to hash out the final order of a rank list of applicants to submit. Usually, the people involved in that discussion are the same people doing interviews. Is receiving a thank you note a checkbox? Of course not -- that's unprofessional and petty. However, does each engagement shed light on an applicant's interest, personality, other characteristics? Perhaps.

Reactions: 3 users
I'll just add that while sending a thank you note will almost never affect your application, they sometimes do act as a way to "confirm" that you killed your interview. I have friends who have received very positive responses to their thank you emails that all but say that they will be accepted. With that being said, many interviewers will not respond to the thank you email so don't be concerned if you don't get a response.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
If a school tells you not to send one, it might be wise to heed that advice. If a school makes sure that you have an email address for your interviewer, then it might be signaling that thank you notes are expected, or at least not unwelcome. Some schools will also explicitly say that updates and expressions of continued interest after interview are welcome and you'd be wise to express your love and devotion as often as you think that the school needs is a$$ kissed.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Any communication from an applicant should be part of the file. Doesnt matter if it is a thank you note or a request for info
Generally, this. I wouldn't read anything positive or negative into the fact that they're cc-ing the admissions staff, it's probably just standard for any communication.

Reactions: 1 users