Do The Shmucks Who Start Where Would You Go Threads Know How Annoying They Are To....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ifellinapothole

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
PEOPLE WITH ZERO ACCEPTANCES....

PLEASE STFU! Go struggle with the decision in your own corner.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm always torn between thinking they're pathetic for letting random internet posters get involved with one of the biggest decisions of their lives, and the fact that there is a valuable resource of information on this forum worth tapping.

I wouldn't necessarily define it as schmuckish behavior, but I always question if and why they put their trust in strangers. Where I would go may not be where you would go...

Additionally, I don't think people with zero acceptances should be annoyed by these posts. Your day will come when you can ask...

What do you guys think...Should I go to State School of Medicine or Private School of Medicine?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hell, that ****'s even annoying to those of us that *have* been accepted. Just make your decision ON YOUR OWN, maybe with some input from people that actually matter. But Mateodaspy's dozens of threads about 'help me choose between all the schools that wouldn't give you the time of day' were just grating. And he's not the only one, a lot of people do it. I guess it's so annoying because I don't believe that people actually value the input or care, I truly think that they just do it to gloat. They may as well start threads saying "Look at all the places I got in and tell me how great I am!!!!'

I think i'm more ticked at those who are deciding between schools like Harvard, Wash U, Stanford, or Yale (or other top 10/20 schools). I somehow feel that its not going to matter too much of a difference if you got to a #3 ranked school instead of the #1 ranked school.

At least people aren't deciding on other factors like weather or something. "I'd like to go to harvard, but its too cold, so i'm going to Wash U...should I do this? Am i going to screw my chances at ruling the world with my M.D. degree. HELP!!!!"

Asses :)

BaylorGuy said:
I think i'm more ticked at those who are deciding between schools like Harvard, Wash U, Stanford, or Yale (or other top 10/20 schools). I somehow feel that its not going to matter too much of a difference if you got to a #3 ranked school instead of the #1 ranked school.

At least people aren't deciding on other factors like weather or something. "I'd like to go to harvard, but its too cold, so i'm going to Wash U...should I do this? Am i going to screw my chances at ruling the world with my M.D. degree. HELP!!!!"

Asses :)

My problem with people who ask SDN collectively to choose between top 10 schools are not very specific about who they are and what they are looking for. I think if people were just a little less vague they would actually get pretty reasonable responses.

BaylorGuy said:

It's definitely more irritating when they are choosing between top schools. Whether they mean it or not, the effective message is often "even though I was smart enough to get into better schools than most of you, I'm still not smart enough to know why I should go to one over the other".

I really don't see any reason to be mad at anyone for asking about which school they should attend.

When i was applying to law schools, the question of choosing BC v. BU would have been very relevant. So would the question of Harvard v. Columbia or Chicago. I don't think where you go is as important in medicine, but there are definitely incites others can give if you shape your question carefully about your needs/wants.

Hey, I'm sitting on zero acceptances right now (and hoping I'm going to be in the position to make a decison soon enough). I'm all for people possibly bringing up questions that I'd like to ask myself if I'm ultimately in the position to make a decison.

I mean, come on, there are a lot less relevant posts on this forum than these being asked.

BaylorGuy said:
Am i going to screw my chances at ruling the world with my M.D. degree. HELP!!!!"

:laugh:

a lot of people certainly come across that way

I just think it's ridiculous that people have that much trouble deciding which school to attend. As if some stupid poll is going to help them make up their mind.

I have to agree with those who say it's annoying. I am just starting my application (today!) and will be happy to get accepted some place close to home. I can't even imagine worrying whether this school or that school will hurt my chances at getting my Nobel. When I win, no one will care if I went to State U or Snootypants U.

People who post these aren't looking to flaunt their acceptances. They really do have trouble deciding and want to get as much info/perspectives about the schools that they are interested in.

I know for sure that there is only a small group of MD's that I work with or are friends with that I was able to draw an opinion from about the schools that I'm accepted into, but then again, these are physicians that are at least fifteen plus years removed since graduating med school. Therefore, they wouldn't know as much about the current curriculum, the "feel" of the student body, living standards in the med school area, etc --opinions that current applicants/interviewees and med students would have. Of course everything said on this forum is taken with a grain of salt, but it doesn't hurt to have someone throw their ideas in for the person who is having a hard time decide. Usually there are small details that come to surface that the poster wouldn't have known about from talking to his/her limited group of friends or mentors in real life.

Again, though, I do understand how irritating it would be to consistently see these forums, but I hope we can all understand that the usual intent of these posts is not to hurt other people. Good luck with the whole process!

Ifellinapothole said:
PEOPLE WITH ZERO ACCEPTANCES....

PLEASE STFU! Go struggle with the decision in your own corner.

Well, isn't the whole point of a big bulletin board to discuss topics and ask for help or input on things that interest you? Sure, everything's not relevant to everyone. That's why it's a bulletin board with threads instead of a massive e-mail list so everybody's trivial questions about what school to go to or what kind of iPod to buy doesn't come traipsing into your inbox. You can often tell from the subject heading which threads don't interest you. (Now, if you want to complain about the people who post a thread with the subject heading, "Please help!", I'm right with you.)

Sure, they're struggling with a problem I'd love to have. I don't take that as a personal affront. On days I can't deal with that I don't read SDN. For the days I'm only interested in myself I keep a journal.

i am going to add my 2 cents... if you are lucky enough to get accepted at multiple schools, you should respect yourself, the schools involved, and others enough to extensively research those schools, revisit them etc. until you find what you are looking for. honestly, if you get accepted to a school that i did not get accepted to, then shouldnt you be the resident expert on that school? maybe you will find 1 or 2 people that either love or hate a certain school..but who the hell are they? this is an important decision. it is also a very personal decision. you need to figure out what you are looking for and where you can get it. others of us (myself included) would be happy to make any M.D. school that accepts us the one that we want. you arent going to make any life changing decisions reading threads on sdn...hopefully anyway.