Medical DO to MD Transfer d/t personal reason?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
I’m interested in transferring from a DO school to an MD school due to personal reasons. The closest school to where I want to be is an MD program.

Can this be done if I take and pass the USMLE?

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

There are a ton of checks and balances to do this, but I would reach out to that school now and see what their policy is on transferring.

We need more information, are you transferring as a third year? This may make it easier or perhaps harder because of limited availability for rotations.

The bottom line is that none of us can realistically guess, and you just have to ask the school you're wanting to transfer to.

My guess is probably not since you're going from a less competitive degree program to a more competitive program. But if you're a really strong student, maybe if you were on the waitlist at the school originally and just barely missed getting in... maybe. But regardless it doesn't hurt to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need to ask your student dean. There's no guarantee the MD school will have a spot for you anyway. This is a matter you have to address directly with your school, but don't count on transferring.

I transferred.

You need to check the schools policies as this is independent for each individual school. There is usually a "transfer" tab or button, and/or it is covered in the FAQs or handbook.

Some schools outright do not take transfers, regardless of degree or reason.

Some schools take only people pursuing the same degree (ie DO-DO or MD-MD).

There are some schools that do DO-MD or MD-DO. These are less common, but exist.

In addition to the school ALLOWING for transfers
- there must be space in the class to which you'd be transferring
- you must be in good standing with recommendations from current institution
- everything must have been past on first attempt
- boards must be completed early enough to receive scores back to submit in time to be evaluated for transfer
- typically this means you score AT LEAST the mean on boards, but not sure with new P/F
- typically must have AT LEAST the mean for MCAT (yes this still matters in this case)
- while this is irrelevant for 3rd year transfers, transferring between 1st/2nd year (even less common) coursework must be considered equivalent for year-to-year as to ensure you don't miss anything in M2 as some schools teach things in different order.

---- this list, even if all are check, doesn't mean it's a go. Your situation must dictate as well. It sounds like yours might, but that's up to the dean and admissions at where you'd be trying to transfer.

Basically, if the school doesn't take transfers, then you can't. If they do, the above list is a lot of what is generally considered for it.

In general, it's possible, but it is not very likely.

I had a family situation that occurred during second year medical that I began the process of trying to switch DO to DO and DO to MD. My school supported the effort. I remember that there was a website that listed the available openings at schools that accepted transfers and what year that availablility was. I don't recall the website unfortunately.

In the end, I stayed at my current school. But as alluded to above, it was an extremely complex process and very limited spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.