Do trade group restrictions have teeth?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lexington2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
From what I understand, in 2009 there was a change in marketing rules by a trade association called the "Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America"

The rule stated that pharma companies could no longer give out trinkets such as branded pens and notepads. What would be the penalty if a company broke this rule?

I don't understand what a trade group could do in retaliation if a company were to break the rule.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like a stupid rule, I doubt they can do **** but why are you concerned about this to begin with?

The rules came out in 2002 and were updated in 2009.

They are voluntary, and were put in place to head off congressional action (read: they were afraid congress was going to pass very restrictive laws governing marketing, so they came out with this instead in order to beat congress to the punch).

These are voluntary; not every manufacturer follows them, but most of the big ones do. Sometimes it pays to know which ones don't.

Sounds like a stupid rule, I doubt they can do **** but why are you concerned about this to begin with?

Someone wants their trinkets, dammit.