Do traditional students understand Non Trads MD journeys?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

GenSurgONLY

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There a legitimate questions sprinkled between my rant. Lol

I ask this because it seems some traditional students are just obtuse to why non traditional students pursue Medicine to begin with. Many don’t understand our drive and reasons for switching careers. By doing this one needs to plan considerably than someone who does not have to factor in immediate family in heir decision on what school to attend or where I desire to match. I can’t just decide on that within a matter of months.mI have child with a Autism who would need to change programs, a husband and his career as two other children’s schooling.

I have those who question my ability to handle the rigors of clerkships and sleep deprivation because of classes and exams. I want to be a General Surgeon and yes I know it’s hard but when you’re a non traditional like myself, who has overcome sexual abuse, rape, being a teen mom, working multiple PT jobs concurrently while taking a full course load in college; medical school is just one more speed hump. I know all our stories vary but do y’all ever get annoyed with those whose academic schedule may not include any job experience beyond “volunteering” or “shadowing” (which I plan to do anyway) telling you what they think you can do?

Do they not realize that we ALSO have to take all the necessary pre reqs, MCATs and gain some level of clinical experience? What separates us from them mostly is our added work experience and unique life circumstances that we chose not to allow to be barriers yet bridges to our next points on our journey.

Sorry, was put off by a statement from the “Medical” board.
 
There a legitimate questions sprinkled between my rant. Lol

I ask this because it seems some traditional students are just obtuse to why non traditional students pursue Medicine to begin with. Many don’t understand our drive and reasons for switching careers. By doing this one needs to plan considerably than someone who does not have to factor in immediate family in heir decision on what school to attend or where I desire to match. I can’t just decide on that within a matter of months.mI have child with a Autism who would need to change programs, a husband and his career as two other children’s schooling.

I have those who question my ability to handle the rigors of clerkships and sleep deprivation because of classes and exams. I want to be a General Surgeon and yes I know it’s hard but when you’re a non traditional like myself, who has overcome sexual abuse, rape, being a teen mom, working multiple PT jobs concurrently while taking a full course load in college; medical school is just one more speed hump. I know all our stories vary but do y’all ever get annoyed with those whose academic schedule may not include any job experience beyond “volunteering” or “shadowing” (which I plan to do anyway) telling you what they think you can do?

Do they not realize that we ALSO have to take all the necessary pre reqs, MCATs and gain some level of clinical experience? What separates us from them mostly is our added work experience and unique life circumstances that we chose not to allow to be barriers yet bridges to our next points on our journey.

Sorry, was put off by a statement from the “Medical” board.
It’s likely you are misusing the phrase “medical board” as they don’t often post here openly, do you mean adcom? And can you link the post?

Seperately from that, you’ll need to get over the need to have everyone believe in you. It’s a hard process in a way you literally cannot comprehend yet despite whatever life difficulties you experienced. Just pick the path you want and start working on it, the chips will fall how they fall
 
It’s likely you are misusing the phrase “medical board” as they don’t often post here openly, do you mean adcom? And can you link the post?

Seperately from that, you’ll need to get over the need to have everyone believe in you. It’s a hard process in a way you literally cannot comprehend yet despite whatever life difficulties you experienced. Just pick the path you want and start working on it, the chips will fall how they fall

You already posted on it.

Thanks for inspiring me to finally listen to a doctor who recommended reading this book:

“The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck”—-Mark Manson

I have already started working on my path, and it’s leading to General Surgery no matter anyone’s “approval”.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You already posted on it.

Thanks for inspiring me to finally listen to a doctor who recommended reading this book:

“The Subtle Art of Not Giving A F*ck”—-Mark Manson

I have already started working on my path, and it’s leading to General Surgery no matter anyone’s “approval”.
I don’t think anyone there claimed to be medical board
 
I don’t think anyone there claimed to be medical board
My post was pretty straight forward. Not sure the point here. I get it, make a plan, follow it and screw what anyone else says. That’s what I am doing. Committing to MD means having tunnel vision, laser focus and must exclude all distractions. When I am practicing MD, what anyones’ opinions are, won’t really matter.
 
There a legitimate questions sprinkled between my rant. Lol

I ask this because it seems some traditional students are just obtuse to why non traditional students pursue Medicine to begin with. Many don’t understand our drive and reasons for switching careers. By doing this one needs to plan considerably than someone who does not have to factor in immediate family in heir decision on what school to attend or where I desire to match. I can’t just decide on that within a matter of months.mI have child with a Autism who would need to change programs, a husband and his career as two other children’s schooling.

I have those who question my ability to handle the rigors of clerkships and sleep deprivation because of classes and exams. I want to be a General Surgeon and yes I know it’s hard but when you’re a non traditional like myself, who has overcome sexual abuse, rape, being a teen mom, working multiple PT jobs concurrently while taking a full course load in college; medical school is just one more speed hump. I know all our stories vary but do y’all ever get annoyed with those whose academic schedule may not include any job experience beyond “volunteering” or “shadowing” (which I plan to do anyway) telling you what they think you can do?

Do they not realize that we ALSO have to take all the necessary pre reqs, MCATs and gain some level of clinical experience? What separates us from them mostly is our added work experience and unique life circumstances that we chose not to allow to be barriers yet bridges to our next points on our journey.

Sorry, was put off by a statement from the “Medical” board.

Seriously though, who cares what they think and screw what they think. You do what is best for you. Stop worrying about what is happening with others and focus on yourself and your application. You’ll feel so much better if you do.
 
My post was pretty straight forward. Not sure the point here. I get it, make a plan, follow it and screw what anyone else says. That’s what I am doing. Committing to MD means having tunnel vision, laser focus and must exclude all distractions. When I am practicing MD, what anyones’ opinions are, won’t really matter.
The point is that you said medical board which is a very specific thing and I don’t think it’s accurate
 
I think OP should listen to the advice in the other forum and chill out about everything. (S)He is still 2 years away from the MCAT, so making a spreadsheet of surgical residency programs is a waste of time that could be better spent working on premed things.

As for this forum, calm down. You/we are not "special" because we're non-trad, it's just a facet of our track. You seem hyperfocused on your identity as a non-trad premed, and I think you're on the vinegar side of catching more flies with honey. Just do your thing and let your work speak for itself; it seems like you're screaming from the rooftops about how non-trad you are and how special your circumstances are, and that is really off-putting.

FWIW, I question your ability to stand up to the rigors of a surgical clerkship and residency... but not because you're a non-trad; I question it because it is a sh**y lifestyle and I question just about everyone who voluntarily signs up for what I feel like is torture. It isn't personal when people question you.

*I'm a non-trad myself. And guess what? Almost no one cares.
 
I have to agree with Shigaliketoxin. I’m a non-trad with a background similar to yours, OP. I understand what its like to go to classes full time, work, and be a wife/mom 24 hours a day too, and I have several similarities in my backstory that you do. Others, however, don’t care. At all. The rare person that does care is either discouraging or incredulous that a mom of five who’s closer to 40 than 30 would go back to school to become a doctor.

I’m proud of being a wife/mom/premed/nontrad...but I don’t think any of it makes me anything special. Everyone has hard things to overcome in their journey to get where they want to be, and for the rare few who have lived a charmed life and breezed their way into medical school, they will undoubtedly encounter difficulties in their future.
 
I have to agree with Shigaliketoxin. I’m a non-trad with a background similar to yours, OP. I understand what its like to go to classes full time, work, and be a wife/mom 24 hours a day too, and I have several similarities in my backstory that you do. Others, however, don’t care. At all. The rare person that does care is either discouraging or incredulous that a mom of five who’s closer to 40 than 30 would go back to school to become a doctor.

I’m proud of being a wife/mom/premed/nontrad...but I don’t think any of it makes me anything special. Everyone has hard things to overcome in their journey to get where they want to be, and for the rare few who have lived a charmed life and breezed their way into medical school, they will undoubtedly encounter difficulties in their future.

I wasn’t trying to say I am special or anyone who is non traditional is. I was just trying to make the point that we ALL have to do the same thing as far as taking the “premed” coursework, MCATs, interviews, match into a residency, etc. I was only trying point out that going through hardships should make the journey a “little” easier. I get it, Medical School is hard but so is getting a PhD in Mathematics. To me, going to med school won’t be easy but it’s definiteIy doable or we would not have doctors. I graduated with Honors as a teen mom when I was told it was impossible.My HS math Teacher said I won’t get pass Algebra 2 and went all the way to Abstract Math as a Math major.

And yes you are right, the ones that “seem to care” come off “salty” at best. But being here has made me realize that I need to focus and not get distracted by the noise. I personally don’t mind the push back, because it makes me work harder and it practically guarantees I will reach completion of my goal.

Thanks for the advice! Your response was very sincere!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think OP should listen to the advice in the other forum and chill out about everything. (S)He is still 2 years away from the MCAT, so making a spreadsheet of surgical residency programs is a waste of time that could be better spent working on premed things.

As for this forum, calm down. You/we are not "special" because we're non-trad, it's just a facet of our track. You seem hyperfocused on your identity as a non-trad premed, and I think you're on the vinegar side of catching more flies with honey. Just do your thing and let your work speak for itself; it seems like you're screaming from the rooftops about how non-trad you are and how special your circumstances are, and that is really off-putting.

FWIW, I question your ability to stand up to the rigors of a surgical clerkship and residency... but not because you're a non-trad; I question it because it is a sh**y lifestyle and I question just about everyone who voluntarily signs up for what I feel like is torture. It isn't personal when people question you.

*I'm a non-trad myself. And guess what? Almost no one cares.

I have a child with Autism(planning ahead is mandatory for “my family”). Yes, I do have 2 years of pre med courses and I cannot just pick a school Willy Nilly for the mere fact that I would have to rent out our house, withdraw kids from school, find a place to live with family, spouse would need to make adjustments to his job(thankfully he is an IT Analyst so worst case he could work remotely), find a good school that supports the needs of a child with Autism, etc. This takes time and as you know, you have very little of it on your MD journey.

MCATS, definitely not waiting two years to start prepping for that. Will probably start 2nd year of post bacc program on that. Then one must consider the cycles time or you end up missing it. But sure you are already aware those nuances.

I made this post to address what I noticed from different threads and forums(not particular to just here on SDN. I.e Quora, Reddit, some others). I use myself as an example but it was more so to say, being non trad illustrates I/we know what we are getting ourselves into.

I can see how one may question the sanity of another who wants to pursue the surgical route given the lack of sleep you will get expecting to perform at your best. Personally, I am accustomed to this from being a teen mom(this may be hard for some to relate to) and secondly, I like the instant gratification of helping someone.
 
Seriously though, who cares what they think and screw what they think. You do what is best for you. Stop worrying about what is happening with others and focus on yourself and your application. You’ll feel so much better if you do.

You are so right! I am slowly learning this after being on here. I know what I want and don’t anyone to validate what I want to do. And yes, it does feel good!

Thanks!
 
I have a child with Autism(planning ahead is mandatory for “my family”). Yes, I do have 2 years of pre med courses and I cannot just pick a school Willy Nilly for the mere fact that I would have to rent out our house, withdraw kids from school, find a place to live with family, spouse would need to make adjustments to his job(thankfully he is an IT Analyst so worst case he could work remotely), find a good school that supports the needs of a child with Autism, etc. This takes time and as you know, you have very little of it on your MD journey.

MCATS, definitely not waiting two years to start prepping for that. Will probably start 2nd year of post bacc program on that. Then one must consider the cycles time or you end up missing it. But sure you are already aware those nuances.

I made this post to address what I noticed from different threads and forums(not particular to just here on SDN. I.e Quora, Reddit, some others). I use myself as an example but it was more so to say, being non trad illustrates I/we know what we are getting ourselves into.

I can see how one may question the sanity of another who wants to pursue the surgical route given the lack of sleep you will get expecting to perform at your best. Personally, I am accustomed to this from being a teen mom(this may be hard for some to relate to) and secondly, I like the instant gratification of helping someone.
Not sure if you started this thread due to my advice in the other one.

Im not saying this to be difficult, rather just giving you an idea of what might need to be done to achieve your goal.


1. If the only medical school you were admitted to required you to move accross the country would you move?

2. If you scored poorly on STEP would you be willing to practice any other field if you were unable to secure a residency in surgery ?

3. If you only matched into a gen surg program once again across the country would you move?

4. Have you shadowed a Gen Surgeon for a couple of days or spent any time in the OR to see what their life is like?


To answer your question, no one cares about a person being a non trad. I speak from experience considering I am one with a family and all.
 
Last edited:
Not sure if you started this thread due to my advice in the other one.

Im not saying this to be difficult, rather just giving you an idea of what might need to be done to achieve your goal.


1. If the only medical school you were admitted to required you to move accross the country would you move?

2. If you scored poorly on STEP would you be willing to practice any other field if you were unable to secure a residency in surgery ?

3. If you only matched into a gen surg program once again across the country would you move?

4. Have you shadowed a Gen Surgeon for a couple of days or spent any time in the OR to see what their life is like?


To answer your question, no one cares about a person being a non trad. I speak from experience considering I am one with a family and all.

Yes to all except #4(waiting for shock trauma docs to be processed) then I will be volunteering at AAMC.

I didn’t mean to get all butt hurt. I can’t realistically expect people online to understand my background but my background provides important context to why I feel strongly on pursuing this field. I am personally willing to live apart from my family if that’s what it would take. I am not sure about others, but for me personally, I don’t spend $70 non refundable on a program to take the science courses at a university to prove I can handle rigor($11k) for the opportunity to go med school, just for giggles. My main point, which probably wasn’t clear, is that yes non trads have take the same route as trads. And our decisions to pursue MD are not naive but genuine. Everyone claims med school is difficult, and I am sure it but it is doable(and that’s coming from someone who went from x<2.0 cum gpa to becoming a board certified general surgeon). When you go through something hard in life, like i.e a near death experience(had one), some things just don’t seem like a monstrosity. Probably could have articulated better if I had cut out some of the b*tching.

Back to #4, Volunteering and shadowing would only solidify my feelings; plan on doing until I get into Med School(then will start focusing on clinicals). I have supported my spouse in his career and he has now agreed to do the same for me, and is all in. Thankfully my spouse makes enough to where aside from tuition, I would not really need to take out full Stafford once accepted. Most of my over preparation is due in part to personality and the rest to being a mother to 3 kids.

Lastly, I don’t want to assume; so what do you plan to specialize in?
 
Yes to all except #4(waiting for shock trauma docs to be processed) then I will be volunteering at AAMC.

I didn’t mean to get all butt hurt. I can’t realistically expect people online to understand my background but my background provides important context to why I feel strongly on pursuing this field. I am personally willing to live apart from my family if that’s what it would take. I am not sure about others, but for me personally, I don’t spend $70 non refundable on a program to take the science courses at a university to prove I can handle rigor($11k) for the opportunity to go med school, just for giggles. My main point, which probably wasn’t clear, is that yes non trads have take the same route as trads. And our decisions to pursue MD are not naive but genuine. Everyone claims med school is difficult, and I am sure it but it is doable(and that’s coming from someone who went from x<2.0 cum gpa to becoming a board certified general surgeon). When you go through something hard in life, like i.e a near death experience(had one), some things just don’t seem like a monstrosity. Probably could have articulated better if I had cut out some of the b*tching.

Back to #4, Volunteering and shadowing would only solidify my feelings; plan on doing until I get into Med School(then will start focusing on clinicals). I have supported my spouse in his career and he has now agreed to do the same for me, and is all in. Thankfully my spouse makes enough to where aside from tuition, I would not really need to take out full Stafford once accepted. Most of my over preparation is due in part to personality and the rest to being a mother to 3 kids.

Lastly, I don’t want to assume; so what do you plan to specialize in?

1. Do you mean UMMC for STC?

2. I think you're still missing the point. "I can't realistically expect people online to understand my background..." while true, it is also entirely irrelevant to the grand scheme of things. You keep bringing up how you have a child with Autism, how you are a mom, etc. And while all of those things make you YOU and make you unique, at the end of the day you are applying to medical school the same as a 21 year old who went straight through. I mean, sure it matters to the admissions committee, but in your day-to-day life, it seems (from reading your posts, which obviously gives us only a small window into your mind) that you are perseverating on your need to have such a DIFFERENT and NONTRAD identity. There is no need for this. The only need is for you to put your head down and get **** done.

3. No one is questioning that you aren't prepping for the MCAT (which btw is NOT "MCATs" with an "s"... drives me nuts) or doing some due diligence research. I think you're just hyperfocused on your identity and have lumped "surgeon" into that identity when you aren't there yet and need to take a LOT more steps to get there. I don't doubt you will become a surgeon because that is too far fetched at this juncture; right now, focus on getting into medical school and the first step is doing well in your post-bacc (yes, even before you think about the MCAT).
 
1. Do you mean UMMC for STC?

2. I think you're still missing the point. "I can't realistically expect people online to understand my background..." while true, it is also entirely irrelevant to the grand scheme of things. You keep bringing up how you have a child with Autism, how you are a mom, etc. And while all of those things make you YOU and make you unique, at the end of the day you are applying to medical school the same as a 21 year old who went straight through. I mean, sure it matters to the admissions committee, but in your day-to-day life, it seems (from reading your posts, which obviously gives us only a small window into your mind) that you are perseverating on your need to have such a DIFFERENT and NONTRAD identity. There is no need for this. The only need is for you to put your head down and get **** done.

3. No one is questioning that you aren't prepping for the MCAT (which btw is NOT "MCATs" with an "s"... drives me nuts) or doing some due diligence research. I think you're just hyperfocused on your identity and have lumped "surgeon" into that identity when you aren't there yet and need to take a LOT more steps to get there. I don't doubt you will become a surgeon because that is too far fetched at this juncture; right now, focus on getting into medical school and the first step is doing well in your post-bacc (yes, even before you think about the MCAT).
1. I mixed up another program, AAMC, yes meant to say UMMC. STC, yes, Shock Trauma Center.

2. MCAT(s) (about this) as I am sure one doesn’t write BTdubs which is BTW aka by the way. It’s simply texting lingo. And while you’re making a critique of my post, allow me to highlight something you have said here:
“from reading your posts, which obviously gives us only a small window into your mind”. Did you honestly think I didn’t know what MCAT stands for? But while we are at it, MCAT is the acronym for Medical College Admission Test. Notice I didn’t add the “s”.

3. I don’t have an obsession with identity, that’s what you have chosen to focus on and unbeknownst to you, again made my point which is highlighted in the title. I made this thread to not only illustrate some viewpoints noted from different forums including this one but a doctor herself (a traditional student) made similar points in favor of what I said. Will locate the article at a later date or maybe you may stumble upon it before I do.

Yes, I will be competing against a younger student on a traditional track but the only difference between me and that student is our background. I will be still taking similar coursework, the MCAT, volunteering, getting LOR(s), applying to Medical Schools, and so on and so forth.

4. You can give constructive feedback without being condescending like some have already done.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
1. I mixed up another program, AAMC, yes meant to say UMMC. STC, yes, Shock Trauma Center.

2. MCAT(s) (about this) as I am sure one doesn’t write BTdubs which is BTW aka by the way. It’s simply texting lingo. And while you’re making a critique of my post, allow me to highlight something you have said here:
“from reading your posts, which obviously gives us only a small window into your mind”. You come off as haughty and have this need to be a purist. Did you honestly think I didn’t know what MCAT stands for? But while we are at it, MCAT is the acronym for Medical College Admission Test. Notice I didn’t add the “s”.

3. I don’t have an obsession with identity, that’s what you have chosen to focus on and unbeknownst to you, again made my point which is highlighted in the title. I made this thread to not only illustrate some viewpoints noted from different forums including this one but a doctor herself (a traditional student) made similar points in favor of what I said. Will locate the article at a later date or maybe you may stumble upon it before I do.

Yes, I will be competing against a younger student on a traditional track but the only difference between me and that student is our background. I will be still taking similar coursework, the MCAT, volunteering, getting LOR(s), applying to Medical Schools, and so on and so forth.

4. You may not know this, but you can give constructive feedback without being condescending like some have already done.
“Mcats” is not texting lingo for mcat. It just isn’t true. You can just say “oops, thanks for pointing that out” instead of doubling down

You will need all the good will you can get through this process as it is harder than you understand right now, practice the avoidance of alienating others
 
1. I mixed up another program, AAMC, yes meant to say UMMC. STC, yes, Shock Trauma Center.

2. MCAT(s) (about this) as I am sure one doesn’t write BTdubs which is BTW aka by the way. It’s simply texting lingo. And while you’re making a critique of my post, allow me to highlight something you have said here:
“from reading your posts, which obviously gives us only a small window into your mind”. You come off as haughty and have this need to be a purist. Did you honestly think I didn’t know what MCAT stands for? But while we are at it, MCAT is the acronym for Medical College Admission Test. Notice I didn’t add the “s”.

3. I don’t have an obsession with identity, that’s what you have chosen to focus on and unbeknownst to you, again made my point which is highlighted in the title. I made this thread to not only illustrate some viewpoints noted from different forums including this one but a doctor herself (a traditional student) made similar points in favor of what I said. Will locate the article at a later date or maybe you may stumble upon it before I do.

Yes, I will be competing against a younger student on a traditional track but the only difference between me and that student is our background. I will be still taking similar coursework, the MCAT, volunteering, getting LOR(s), applying to Medical Schools, and so on and so forth.

4. You may not know this, but you can give constructive feedback without being condescending like some have already done.

Whatever, you clearly are reading this with some constructed inner voice where I'm being a big meanie pants to you. I think if you re-read this through an objective lens, I've offered some constructive points; mainly, stop focusing on your identity and just put your head down and put in the work to get into medical school. Stop comparing yourself to the other people doing this, and they will be less likely to compare themselves to you.

The comment about being haughty re "which obviously only gives us a small window into your mind" is a "disclaimer" of sorts that "yes, we don't know your full story, we only know what you present to us here". You've gotta grow a thicker skin to make it in medicine (everyone, not just you).

And finally to your point about how I have chosen to focus on your obsession with identity.... what other focus does this thread have? Go re-read your original post.

None of this was meant to be hurtful; it is all constructive criticism. You are taking it as a personal attack, which I suppose is what one gets for opening up and sharing personal details. So either stop asking for constructive criticism or be ready to take it.

Looking forward to seeing you in STC.
 
OP, in general I think your tone is actually very defensive for some reason. You and I have very similar backgrounds and stories. I was a teen Mom, I have three kids, one with severe food allergies (not autism but still pretty demanding sometimes) my husband is also a data scientist and works from home and supports me.

I am however farther in the process than you are. And I'll tell you this, as a mom of three it's almost impossible to compete grade wise and MCAT wise with traditional students. Yes we have extra experiences, but like someone else says, no one cares. Also, as you can see here, nontrads are kind of a dime a dozen as well. My husband and I have planned and planned similar to the way you are. We've figured out over time that there's no point in planning farther than getting in the medical school at this time. Getting in is the goal you have right now, not becoming a surgeon. Also, you should really keep your mind open to other specialties as a backup. I want to be an OBGYN more than anything. But the residency match is another beast and obstacle ahead of me. I need to make sure I'm ok with helping women as a family medicine provider or internist as well, which I am. Afterall our main goal is to HELP people and care for them. If you're telling me that if you can't cut than you don't want to be a physician... Then you're doing it for the wrong reasons.

Also, be open to DO schools instead of MD. Plenty of them match gen surgery every year. They also tend to be more forgiving than MD schools. Also, feel free to PM me if you'd like since I am a couple years ahead of you in the process.

And, full disclosure.. I had the same attitude you did with medical school... Like I can do it no big deal.. I've been through a **** ton in my life.... Then I took biochem with medical students as part of my grad degree and bombed my first exam HARD. I had to step back and change a lot of stuff, but I ended up doing pretty well. Pro tip though: don't ever try to study at home... Too many kids, laundry, and dishes!!!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile
 
do y’all ever get annoyed with those whose academic schedule may not include any job experience beyond “volunteering” or “shadowing” (which I plan to do anyway) telling you what they think you can do?

Do they not realize that we ALSO have to take all the necessary pre reqs, MCATs and gain some level of clinical experience?

Do they understand our journeys?
Who cares?

Don't let your experience fool you into thinking you are superior to traditional students. Your life experience gives you one specific advantage, but only one. Many traditional students who have never had a real job will out-perform you in medical school, be extremely responsible and competitive in clinical rotations, and match into the most competitive residencies. They will surprise you.
 
OP, I want to express one specific thing that I think is written between the lines in most of the replies to your question: It doesn't matter what you think you will accomplish because of what you have been through. All that matters is what you actually accomplish.

The people replying to you know this all too well. Most of us have our own crazy life stories. It means zero from here forward. It may help on a personal statement but it won't help you pass your classes or get the MCAT score you need, only putting your head down and grinding it out will do that.

Don't get so caught up in the far-off future that you miss what's straight ahead: building a foundation for the MCAT (no "s") 🙂. You are SO far from becoming a surgeon that it really shouldn't be a huge part of your identity at this point. People are trying to warn you because they see your attitude as detrimental, not because they want to be cruel.

Good luck. I mean that sincerely,

-BabyDaddy

P.S. I had some of the same attitudes that you did towards other students when I started this journey. I've been too humbled by the reality of the difficulty of this process to hold those views now.
 
OP, I want to express one specific thing that I think is written between the lines in most of the replies to your question: It doesn't matter what you think you will accomplish because of what you have been through. All that matters is what you actually accomplish.

The people replying to you know this all too well. Most of us have our own crazy life stories. It means zero from here forward. It may help on a personal statement but it won't help you pass your classes or get the MCAT score you need, only putting your head down and grinding it out will do that.

Don't get so caught up in the far-off future that you miss what's straight ahead: building a foundation for the MCAT (no "s") 🙂. You are SO far from becoming a surgeon that it really shouldn't be a huge part of your identity at this point. People are trying to warn you because they see your attitude as detrimental, not because they want to be cruel.

Good luck. I mean that sincerely,

-BabyDaddy

P.S. I had some of the same attitudes that you did towards other students when I started this journey. I've been too humbled by the reality of the difficulty of this process to hold those views now.

Thank you!

I mean that truly! Your words meant a lot and I will reflect on them. I will like to add that I will be a surgeon someday. 🙂
 
Just do your thing and stop worrying about others.

It actually doesnt matter.

"Learn to ask of all actions,
'Why are they doing that?'
Starting with your own."
-Marcus Aurelius

I'm not asking you this next question to answer to anyone - maybe ask yourself. Why do you feel personally wronged by the things you are perceiving they have or have not experienced?

If they dont value your experience, does it take away from you somehow?

Maybe there is something you could teach them. Maybe there isn't.

Take a deep breath.

Sent from my SM-G892A using SDN mobile