Do u predict an increase or decrease in number of applicants this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

# of applicants to RO this year

• Increase

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • Decrease

Votes: 62 69.7%
  • Similar

Votes: 17 19.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let me throw in an analogy...

If you love aviation so much and your dream is to become an airline pilot, would you spend years/money to become an airline pilot, given what is going on in the world now?

At least half of your dream comes true, bc you will be a pilot but you have no job.

Yes - I went in understanding this was a possibility. Already have my breadline bowl ready. The first thing I ask prospective med students is have they read SDN? Thankfully almost all have. Throw a few usernames out to see if they are up to snuff - get a few chuckles.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Yes - I went in understanding this was a possibility. Already have my breadline bowl ready. The first thing I ask prospective med students is have they read SDN? Thankfully almost all have. Throw a few usernames out to see if they are up to snuff - get a few chuckles.
I think there's a session at ASTRO called "How To Keep Med Students Away From SDN"

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
By decrease do you mean US grads? all applicants? I mean make no mistake these POS programs WILL fill these spots.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
By decrease do you mean US grads? all applicants? I mean make no mistake these POS programs WILL fill these spots.

They absolutely will fill. There is a bottleneck for basically all other residencies and the number of med students is only increasing so lots of people will SOAP. Rad Onc positions are also mostly in nice cities so that makes them even more desirable compared to FM or whatever in a a smaller town

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users
They absolutely will fill. There is a bottleneck for basically all other residencies and the number of med students is only increasing so lots of people will SOAP. Rad Onc positions are also mostly in nice cities so that makes them even more desirable compared to FM or whatever in a a smaller town
At some point people may decide not to take a position where there isn't a clear job at the end of it. Nuc med and path have had this happen afaik. Nuc med positions are basically dead end

Reactions: 1 user
At some point people may decide not to take a position where there isn't a clear job at the end of it. Nuc med and path have had this happen afaik. Nuc med positions are basically dead end

I’m really interested this trend but it is hard to put together the decline in those fields after the fact. Before the decline, was med student interest down when the lack of jobs was apparent or when a decrease in salary occurred? I have a hunch programs will fill for the next few years because the salary is so high

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

we are doing god’s work here

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
There was a nuc med’er in one of the sticky topics on the main page who was here angling/asking for a rad onc residency last year or this year. I was thinking “def takes someone in nuc med to seek out a rad onc residency”

Reactions: 2 users
There was a nuc med’er in one of the sticky topics on the main page who was here angling/asking for a rad onc residency last year or this year. I was thinking “def takes someone in nuc med to seek out a rad onc residency”
Nuc med did lutathera where I trained. Now that they're adding lutetium to psma, perhaps they're due for a renaissance. I'd enjoy having a little biological targeting as a part of my practice.

Nuc med did lutathera where I trained. Now that they're adding lutetium to psma, perhaps they're due for a renaissance. I'd enjoy having a little biological targeting as a part of my practice.
Rad Onc does it too. The lutathera reps in our area have been pushing us hard to consider it, but imo it lends itself better to hospital-based practice

Rad Onc does it too. The lutathera reps in our area have been pushing us hard to consider it, but imo it lends itself better to hospital-based practice

I've done plenty in residency. Did residency at a place where Radiology pretty much assimilated all of nuc med. I'm pretty comfortable with radionuclides but yes, needs a hospital-based practice.

1602530094063.png

Radiology coming for Rad Onc very soon. Back into the fold

I've done plenty in residency. Did residency at a place where Radiology pretty much assimilated all of nuc med. I'm pretty comfortable with radionuclides but yes, needs a hospital-based practice.

View attachment 320331
I agree with this. We should set up an SDN betting pool. My target date of seeing rad onc's entry back into rads (right now we can agree there's zero) is by Jan 1, 2026; i.e. dawn of first day of post-APM-Part-One America. I think we'll all have had enough formative beatings by then to be realiably and compliantly ready to be up for 'bout anything.

• Haha

View attachment 320331
I watched plenty. By plenty, I mean 3. I'm also comfortable with administration?

Status
Not open for further replies.