DO uniforms??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoBlue129

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So some of the people I talked to on the days I was interviewing said they had interviewed at TUCOM and LECOM, who make the students wear OMM uniforms (at TUCOM guys: trunks/no shirt, girls: bathing suit) and at LECOM shirt and tie or scrubs every day. I'm gonna be interviewing at both those schools. Is this true? What's the deal??

Members don't see this ad.

well at most if not all schools you have to wear shorts and have to be able to expose your back for OMM class. That means that if you are a guy you have to wear shorts and a t-shirt that you can remove easily and for girls either an open backed swim suit with shorts or a sports bra with shorts. .

At LECOM, its a shirt and tie whenever you're in the building from 8-5, with the exception of Wednesdays and weekends. On Wed when we have OMM lab, its shorts and T-shirt for guys and the same goes for girls, except they must have a sports bra on underneath if they need to remove their shirts.

Members don't see this ad :)
GoBlue129 said:
So some of the people I talked to on the days I was interviewing said they had interviewed at TUCOM and LECOM, who make the students wear OMM uniforms (at TUCOM guys: trunks/no shirt, girls: bathing suit) and at LECOM shirt and tie or scrubs every day. I'm gonna be interviewing at both those schools. Is this true? What's the deal??

At my school:

Scrub pants with either scrub tops or t-shirts are required for lab days.

For class, professional attire, or the above mentioned dress is required.

Of course there is no actual penalty for not following the dress code.

Also, for LECOM, you do have to wear "professional attire" (shirt/tie for guys and pretty much anything except jeans for girls) every day. We are not allowed to wear scrubs to class, OMM lab, or anatomy lab - LECOM feels they are a symbol of being a doctor and we aren't doctors yet :rolleyes:

i thoughts scrubs were so you dont get your nice clothes dirty! ill be damned if im eating dinner in my shirt and tie only to realize that piece of meat is from my anatomy lab and not from my dinner!

scrubs are cheap and dispensible thats why people wear them, not cause they are "doctor" attire. that's lame that you cant wear them to lab even! plus, you walk into a hospital and everyone i mean everyone is wearing scrubs, from the doctors all the way to the husbandry staff, so i think the image of doctor and scrubs is outdated.

if i ruled the world, i would color code all staff. white=nurse, light blue= non surgery MD/DO, green= surgery MD/DO etc etc. oh of course the MD/DO students would have to wear black scrubs to signal caution! LOL

The color coding is a good idea but would never work cause everyone would fight for the cool colors like in Reservoir Dogs.
"Mr. Pink? Why do I have to be Mr. Pink?"
"Cause you're a f*****!"

hotlikebutter said:
i thoughts scrubs were so you dont get your nice clothes dirty! ill be damned if im eating dinner in my shirt and tie only to realize that piece of meat is from my anatomy lab and not from my dinner!

scrubs are cheap and dispensible thats why people wear them, not cause they are "doctor" attire. that's lame that you cant wear them to lab even! plus, you walk into a hospital and everyone i mean everyone is wearing scrubs, from the doctors all the way to the husbandry staff, so i think the image of doctor and scrubs is outdated.

if i ruled the world, i would color code all staff. white=nurse, light blue= non surgery MD/DO, green= surgery MD/DO etc etc. oh of course the MD/DO students would have to wear black scrubs to signal caution! LOL

i think there are some places that actually color code, no? at the hospital i volunteered at, the supply room wore light blue, surgeons purple, non surg wore green, PCT's dark blue, nurses blue top, white bottom, housekeeping brown, etc.

hotlikebutter said:

:laugh: I like the color code idea :thumbup:

I worked @ a hosptial that color coded too. Each non-physician department had a color scheme that they went with. Physicians were allowed to wear whatever they wanted as long as they had their IDs....most chose surgery scrubs with their white coats.

GoBlue129 said:

Is this true about TUCOM?

Does anyone know about the uniforms for OMM lab at UNECOM, PCOM, and UMDNJ-SOM are?

I know that it CCOM you can wear scrubs.

dgf32 said:
Does anyone know about the uniforms for OMM lab at UNECOM, PCOM, and UMDNJ-SOM are?

Kilt and knee socks. :laugh:

Sorry, every time I hear "uniform", I have flashbacks to high school.

My hospital is color coded in the ER and it works well. As for scrubs being "doctor's attire", damn I am working as a CNA to get some hands on and I wear scrubs every day, but I still don't feel like a doctor when I'm wiping A$$ :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as I can dye my hair blue I don't care what I wear. And it is discrimination that girls are allowed to wear sports bra! Girls no shirts too!

At CCOm there is no dress code. You may wear whatever you want.
In the OMM lab, they want you to wear comfortable clothes; scrubs, sweats, t-shirt etc.

At CCOM, we do OMT through the clothes. No one is ever required to be partially exposed. As DOs, we are supposed to be able to palpate and feel through anything. In fact, our first OMM lab was trying to feel objects inside of bags of various thickness, and trying to figure out the object. Once they told us a story about a legendary DO that would put a piece of hair in the phone book and keeps turning the pages until he can no longer feel it through the pages. Everyday that number of pages increased. He kept doing it to get better at palpation and touch.

At CCOM, everything is done through the clothes.

At TUNCOM, the correct way of saying TUCOM Nevada and thus Mare Island is TUMICOM, when we have OMM lab it is required guys wear very small shorts (cant be long) and a t-shirt. Girls are required to wear small shorts and a sports bra (with a shirt when you are not treating areas). You'll have to throw out any bashfulness you have especially when you do techniques on the pelvis and sacrum (can anyone say low ilium flared out Jones Counterstrain). It's not bad at all, although us guys do look funny in the small shorts.

Nik

When I interviewed at LECOM-B, they told us that the men must wear dress attire every day (slacks, shirt/tie), and the women must be properly dressed as well (the school even goes so far as to require and enforce the wearing of pantyhose). According to what the med students were telling us, the dress code seems to be taken a little too seriously there. I believe that at NSUCOM, the students are required to wear scrubs every day, whether to class, lab, or anywhere else.

Why is it that so many osteopathic schools require students to follow a dress code whereas allopathic schools couldn't care less what students wear (within reason, of course)? It's almost as if they want to build an image, i.e., they want to for people outside the school to have a good impression of the school and students, as well as osteopathy in general.

Fusion said:
It's almost as if they want to build an image, i.e., they want to for people outside the school to have a good impression of the school and students, as well as osteopathy in general.

YES... I am the last one to agree with dress code for first 2 years, but I was told by a DO how impressed they were when they visited a perticular school (with dress code inforced). I think it is childish to have a dress code... but it does train people to be professional and have a good presentation.

Do guys have to wear the panty hose as well?

bump

I wanna know about PCOM's dress code

docbill said:
Do guys have to wear the panty hose as well?

I don't think it's required, but whatever floats your boat... :laugh:

I don't know about everyone else, but I like the uniform policies. NSU obviously has a dress code; whereas another school I visited did not. I didn't have a thing for or against what the scrubs looked like...but upon visiting another school where the students were walking around in flannal pajamas and wearing t-shirts that exposed beer guts :scared: ...I decided that I definately like the uniform idea.

In general, if nothing else, the school is putting its best face forward.

I shall try to keep my beer gut better covered in the future.

:p

Runtita said:
I shall try to keep my beer gut better covered in the future.

:p
I doubt it was you...but thanks for the consideration. :)

MaloCCOM said:
.....Once they told us a story about a legendary DO that would put a piece of hair in the phone book and keeps turning the pages until he can no longer feel it through the pages. Everyday that number of pages increased. He kept doing it to get better at palpation and touch...

OMG...I didn't realize that other COM's were fed the same crap....I thought that was just something to keep us all in line (in our fashionable little uniforms, may I add). ;) :laugh:

Kat :)

MaloCCOM said:
At CCOm there is no dress code. You may wear whatever you want.
In the OMM lab, they want you to wear comfortable clothes; scrubs, sweats, t-shirt etc.

At CCOM, we do OMT through the clothes. No one is ever required to be partially exposed. As DOs, we are supposed to be able to palpate and feel through anything. In fact, our first OMM lab was trying to feel objects inside of bags of various thickness, and trying to figure out the object. Once they told us a story about a legendary DO that would put a piece of hair in the phone book and keeps turning the pages until he can no longer feel it through the pages. Everyday that number of pages increased. He kept doing it to get better at palpation and touch.

At CCOM, everything is done through the clothes.

We did the phonebook & hair thing in our class.