Do upper level math classes, or would a math minor, look good or have any impact

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Samiamm

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm majoring in biochem at my university, and I'm required to take Calc, Calc 2, and differential equations. I'm one math class away from a minor in mathematics, but I know I won't use any of this as a physician. So, just a thought, do upper level math classes look good on an app, and if not, would a minor in mathematics be something that makes you "stand out" or even look better?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm majoring in biochem at my university, and I'm required to take Calc, Calc 2, and differential equations. I'm one math class away from a minor in mathematics, but I know I won't use any of this as a physician. So, just a thought, do upper level math classes look good on an app, and if not, would a minor in mathematics be something that makes you "stand out" or even look better?

Your major and minor make very little difference on your application. What is more important by far is your EC's and overall GPA.

Do you like math? If so, get the minor. If not, don't. It's not that big of a deal. It won't help you or hurt you too much either way. Do something you are passionate about to stand out.

Members don't see this ad :)

Very little chance of it having any real influence on your application. If you do it, do it because you want to, adcoms won't care.

Hold on, you can get a math minor at your university with Calc I, II, Diff Eq, and one more course? You would need at least five more math courses at my university...

Hold on, you can get a math minor at your university with Calc I, II, Diff Eq, and one more course? You would need at least five more math courses at my university...

Yeah schools vary widely in their course requirements even for a major, so it's not too surprising that it is that much different for just a minor.

8 courses for a minor...Jesus christ

Do you like math? If so, get the minor. If not, don't. It's not that big of a deal. It won't help you or hurt you too much either way. Do something you are passionate about to stand out.
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I'm a Biology/Japanese dual-major and Physics minor. I'm certainly not doing any of that because it'll help me be a doctor (with the exception of Biology), but because I am passionate about all of those subjects. They won't really influence my application (since that's more about tangibles like GPA and MCAT and community service), but discussing my passion will help me be more genuine during my interviews, or so I'm hoping. :laugh:

Edit: With Biology, I mean that it will help me in the long run, but I am very passionate about it as well.

I'm also one class away from a math minor AND I'm a Biochem major. But my university doesn't offer any more math courses that I like, so I'm not gonna make myself suffer through that. It really depends if you want to

Depends how likely it is that you will do well. I was a math major and can tell you that I thought the pre-med requirements were cake compared to higher level math classes (not diff eq, but harder classes like topology, real analysis, or differential geometry).

I'm interviewing right now and it comes up in conversation, but no one worships me just cause I could do a few proofs.

I thought it helped on the MCAT though because I was used to having to read complex page long proofs.

It doesn't make a lot of difference, although having some research in math might stand out a bit. If you enjoy it, take more courses. If not, focus on something you enjoy. Upper level math courses are quite different than Calc or Dif Eq, though. If you find that these are a struggle or not so much fun, quit before it tanks your gpa. Math (speaking as one doing it for a career now) isn't for the faint of heart when you get into the real math courses/research...

A minor at your school requires ~30 hours of coursework? Seems legit.

A MAJOR at my school requires 34 to 37 major hours. A minor requires 21. For my biology minor, for example, that means six to seven biology classes.

The math minor is the most intensive of the minors at my school, and it requires 8 classes (you can place out of Calc I/II with AP credit, and most people going for the major or minor do so). That seems pretty fair to me. A major normally requires something like 11 or so classes, which is also reasonable.