Do US pharmacists use the title 'doctor'

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Your dentist doesn't go by doctor? I've called all of mine doctor.

Sadly, now we will never know the answer. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Your dentist doesn't go by doctor? I've called all of mine doctor.
My mom has been a hygienist for the past 25 years in a practice where the dentist is referred to by everyone as "Doc"

Members don't see this ad :)
It seems stupid to not address someone by their highest title of degree. The poster declares that you should only be addressed by "doc" if it's your terminal professional degree. Should a dentist who pursues the masters degree mentioned refer to him/herself as "Master?"

Don't get me wrong, it's got a ring to it. But "doctor" is fine, too.

I should be in bed since I have a pre-calc class and am worried about my drivers test on Friday.

Oh wait, this isn't 2006 anymore....

Loled at the guy who epicbumped this thread. Glad he got it out of his system, and then got banned haha.

I should be in bed since I have a pre-calc class and am worried about my drivers test on Friday.

Oh wait, this isn't 2006 anymore....

Loled at the guy who epicbumped this thread. Glad he got it out of his system, and then got banned haha.
:laugh: Classic.

i mean, i shouldnt post at the risk of being flamed, but i will anyways.

i don't think its appropriate for people other than physicians to present themselves as 'dr' to a patient in a clinical setting ( ie, hospital or clinic ). this applies to dentists, NP's, CRNAs, etc. I only say this bc if you walk up to a patient and say 'hi, i'm dr. X, i'm doing this for you today', most patients will relate dr = physician.

in an academic setting, however, i believe anybody who has earned a doctorate, IE, a pharmD, should be addressed as 'dr' .
just my .02.

i mean, i shouldnt post at the risk of being flamed, but i will anyways.

i don't think its appropriate for people other than physicians to present themselves as 'dr' to a patient in a clinical setting ( ie, hospital or clinic ). this applies to dentists, NP's, CRNAs, etc. I only say this bc if you walk up to a patient and say 'hi, i'm dr. X, i'm doing this for you today', most patients will relate dr = physician.

in an academic setting, however, i believe anybody who has earned a doctorate, IE, a pharmD, should be addressed as 'dr' .
just my .02.
I can agree with that. If someone were to ask in a restaurant "is there a doctor in the house?!" the last thing you would want is a PhD in Geology to come over and assess the situation. :smuggrin:

In all seriousness, patients see the title of "doctor" as "physician." However, when not dealing with patients (academia being the example you used), I see no reason not to address someone as "doctor."

Should a dentist who pursues the masters degree mentioned refer to him/herself as "Master?"

Don't get me wrong, it's got a ring to it. But "doctor" is fine, too.
I'd love people to address me as Master, that'd be badass.

I can agree with that. If someone were to ask in a restaurant "is there a doctor in the house?!" the last thing you would want is a PhD in Geology to come over and assess the situation. :smuggrin:
I might make an exception if there was an earthquake.

Off-topic but this thread reminds me of this

john20simm20david20tennant20the20doctor20and20the20master1.jpg

Would you rather be The Doctor or The Master? :D

In all seriousness, patients see the title of "doctor" as "physician." However, when not dealing with patients (academia being the example you used), I see no reason not to address someone as "doctor."

Absolutely. :thumbup:

I even go as far as to correct other people if they call me doctor even though they say it as sign of respect. Well, I do that partly because I don't have a doctorate in anything unless you count bull****... :laugh:

^ wow it edited my word above... >.<

I prefer Dr. Consuela Bananahammock but Spacecowgirl will do for most casual situations.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pharmacists who want to refer to themselves as "doctor" are silly.

I have never once referred to myself as "doctor" even in the academic setting when I've guest-lectured at SOPs. But that's just me, I don't have an ego to stroke. Full-time faculty members I understand their POV to be called that in the academic setting however.

Off-topic but this thread reminds me of this

john20simm20david20tennant20the20doctor20and20the20master1.jpg

Would you rather be The Doctor or The Master? :D

I thought the same thing too!

The only place I've been referred to as Doctor was when I was working at an internship at the FDA right after pharmacy school and was introduced as "Doctor." I think I turned 5 shades of red.

I say kick it old school, pharmacists should be called druggist. I like that title better.

I don't mean to start a flame war here, but pharmacists are not doctors and out of reducing confusion for patients and others there is a reason why pharmacists do not carry this title......here's a little reading for you all.

Sullivan Introduces Healthcare Truth and Transparency Act

WASHINGTON, D.C. –Today, Congressman John Sullivan introduced the Healthcare Truth and Transparency Act, important health care legislation which will move patients off of the sidelines and give them a chance to become active participants in the management of their health.

“Given the complexity of the health care system in America, we need to make it easier for consumers to understand the differences in the kind of care offered,” Sullivan said. “We need a fundamental change in the way we approach the delivery of health care in the United States, which is why I have introduced the Healthcare Truth and Transparency Act.”

A National Consumers League survey on eye care showed that nearly all of those surveyed – 95 percent – said only physicians should perform surgery. State changes in laws related to practitioners’ scope of practice have blurred the line between medical doctors, doctors of osteopathic medicine, doctors of dental surgery or doctors of dental medicine, and non-M.D. practitioners. Adding to the confusion are providers, who are not medical doctors, using incorrect terminology such as “doctor” and “physician.” This important legislation helps patients distinguish between those who are medical doctors and those who are non-M.D. practitioners. “While non-M.D. practitioners have an important role in the health care system, in fairness to the patients, the line must be clear as to the qualifications of the providers treating them.”

The Healthcare Truth and Transparency Act ensures that non-M.D practitioners do not misrepresent themselves to their patients through advertising. Individuals who still continue to do so would be subject to investigation and fines by the Federal Trade Commission.

“As we focus on improving the delivery of health care in America, we must start by insisting on a level of transparency and truth in advertising that will empower patients to make an informed decision when it comes to their health care,” Sullivan said.

This is completely incorrect. If you get your phd in education, for example, you are still called "Dr.______." You do not need to be an actual practicing doctor in a hospital or clinical setting to be referred to as a "Dr.______." Getting a phd in any subject can lead you to have the title Dr., if you ever went to college, you would notice you call your professors doctor and they aren't really doctors. That statement you referred to and quoted is alluding to people that pretend to be doctors that really have no experience at all; imitators. As to pharmacist, some pharmacist go to school for 8 years, just as long as a medical student. Some pharmacist do residency, just like doctors and clinical rotations. They are not a master at diagnosing, that is for the "doctors." But they are a doctor in their specific field, medication. They are most knowledgeable about medication, dosage, side effects, etc. , more so than most "doctors." So yes, I believe if a pharmacist wants to be called a "doctor of pharmacy" then they may do so.

I think whether to refer to somebody as a doctor ___ should really depends on the setting. In academia when students refer to their preceptors, PhD researcher presenting a powerpoint etc. It would be silly to call yourself a doctor outside of your practice setting and bring confusion to the society. I sure rather have patients call me by my first name. Why force a degree of separation between you and your patients just for your own ego?

I'm suspicious of students who call me "Dr. Dalteparin." Usually the ones who do that are idiots who think they can improve their grade by sucking up. Just Dalteparin is fine, thanks.

Most of my patients are Hispanic, and they call me either Doctora or Mami or nothing at all. Whatever makes them happy, I couldn't care less. As far as coworkers, we are all on first-name basis. The only time I am addressed as Dr. So-and-So is when I am introduced before teaching in a classroom or speaking at a conference.

Who cares? I don't understand why this is such a big deal at all. If you are doing it for the title and you really want to be called a Dr without question or doubt - go to medical school.

Otherwise, anyone can call themselves Dr for all I care. Just do your job and forget the title.

Who cares? I don't understand why this is such a big deal at all. If you are doing it for the title and you really want to be called a Dr without question or doubt - go to medical school.

Otherwise, anyone can call themselves Dr for all I care. Just do your job and forget the title.

:thumbup:

I'm not falling for the same necro-thread more than once!

Anyone care to comment on the whole white coat thing? Personally, I loathe them. I read a book once about the progression of medicine from when physicians were still doing blood letting, etc. The book said that once physicians began doing autopsies and developing evidence based medicine, they wore white coats to mimic the appear of bench scientist as people knew their work was founded in facts and science. With that, I find the whole thing silly to wear. I'd like people to judge me based on what comes out of my mouth, not how well pressed and white my lab coat is.

Anyone care to comment on the whole white coat thing? Personally, I loathe them. I read a book once about the progression of medicine from when physicians were still doing blood letting, etc. The book said that once physicians began doing autopsies and developing evidence based medicine, they wore white coats to mimic the appear of bench scientist as people knew their work was founded in facts and science. With that, I find the whole thing silly to wear. I'd like people to judge me based on what comes out of my mouth, not how well pressed and white my lab coat is.

I didn't wear mine at either IPPE. I might wear it when I have to do rounds 4th year because of the pockets :D

Anyone care to comment on the whole white coat thing?
If I spill something, I would rather have it on my white coat than on my actual clothes. White coats are not symbols. They are utilitarian. And nowadays they are made of cheap, nasty materials, which make it extremely obvious that their only purpose is to shield you from the antibiotic you are shaking violently while doing five other things. I have my first coat from my first pharmacy job. It was awesome, both in cut and material, but quality has been going downhill ever since... now, my school-issue white coat was pretty bad in terms of material and it was really, really poorly cut, so I disliked it, but I did wear it on rotations if rotations required it (like our university hospital ones).

i think "hi i'm dr. so and so, i'll be you're pharmacist" is a perfectly fine introduction. it explains your title while clarifying that you're a pharmacist, not a physician. i don't see anything wrong with people who are doctorate titleholders to want to be called dr. in a healthcare setting as long as they're not being misleading.

why do we refer a professor with a Ph.D as Dr. _______

Dunno if it was mentioned but Mad Men recently mentioned this, where Don Draper's new wife's father is a professor and Don's kids asked why he is called Doctor. Something about calling PhD.s doctors since the Middle Ages.

In certain circumstances I would never refer to myself as doctor, such as my retail pharmacy where I work alongside folks with B.S.Pharm degrees all doing the same job.

New pharmacist grad here.

Although I am proud to have finished a rigorous 6 years of pharmacy school and graduate with a PharmD. (Summa Cum Laude to boot)
To me, a doctorate is an academic degree that should be held in high esteem and should be enough to earn respect from other healthcare professionals and the public.
But "Doctor" should refer to medical doctors, physicians.

Thank you.

New pharmacist grad here.

Although I am proud to have finished a rigorous 6 years of pharmacy school and graduate with a PharmD. (Summa Cum Laude to boot)
To me, a doctorate is an academic degree that should be held in high esteem and should be enough to earn respect from other healthcare professionals and the public.
But "Doctor" should refer to medical doctors, physicians.

Thank you.

you are welcome. :luck: