DO vs MD Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TSK

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have since submitted my AMCAS application and decided to apply to a few osteo schools as well. For my osteo personal statement, thus far, I've simply cropped my allo personal statement to meet the character requirements.

Because osteo schools emphasize that students receive the same training as allopathic schools, should I make it clear in my statement why I am pursuing osteopathic medicine in particular? Will talking about my motivations for pursuing a career in medicine in general suffice?

Members don't see this ad.

If I remember correctly the PS prompt for AACOMAS mentions something about why you want to apply to osteopathic medical school.

I wouldnt deviate a whole lot from your original personal statement because it probable took a good deal of time to write and perfect, but it wouldnt hurt adding something that highlights the fact you are applying to a DO school.

Just dont use the word "holistic" and I think you will be OK.

Best of luck.

JPHazelton said:
If I remember correctly the PS prompt for AACOMAS mentions something about why you want to apply to osteopathic medical school.

I wouldnt deviate a whole lot from your original personal statement because it probable took a good deal of time to write and perfect, but it wouldnt hurt adding something that highlights the fact you are applying to a DO school.

Just dont use the word "holistic" and I think you will be OK.

Best of luck.

Actually, the personal statement does not ask "Why osteopathic medicine?" In fact, there is no prompt, as far as I can tell.

Members don't see this ad :)
I cropped my PS and added a sentence that used the word holistic. I got into several schools.

I took out a bunch of stuff and then changed around my last paragraph slightly to tie it all into a wholistic theme. It worked. :rolleyes:

Well, I didn't end up adding the term "hollistic" but I think that I made it very clear that I was interested in treating the patient as well as the disease/condition, blah blah, access to healthcare.

Apprently, my advisor, who didn't respond until after I submitted, thinks it's a big deal. Oh well, what's done is done. I spent a great deal of effort on the original essay, revised it numerous times, and had it edited by numerous parties. It will have to do. Thanks for your advice!