Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Do Waitlisted Applicants need to send in Transcripts?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by sona1128, Mar 27, 2007.

1. sona1128

Do you need to send your transcript in after final semester grades if you are waitlisted? Or can you just send in a LOI if you think your transcript might negatively affect their decision. Any advice would be great! Thanks!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. wassupjoehu

Week 1. Send in LOI
    Week 2. Call one week after you sent it via snail mail to see if they received it.
    Week 3. Send in another LOR from a prof. or employer or M.D.
    Week 4. Call one week after you sent it to see if they received that and inquire about your status or if there were movement on the waitlist.

If your grades were good fall semester, send those in ASAP with the LOI.
    To the admissions staff, this is a game. Everyone on the waitlist has the around the same grades/mcat scores and they want to see WHO will speak the loudest to let them know WHO is 100% interested.

How to play the game: Keep making the admissions office open your file every week so they become familiar with your name. They document every call or email and add it to your file. NO LIE!!!! When they need to pull names from the waitlist....it only makes sense to pick YOU over the person who didnt send in one thing. Think about it?

You have a really good chance and once you get in off the waitlist...it is an even greater accomplishment and you understand how to work the system and how it is worked.

Good Luck and let me know if you have further questions.

4. teammonkeys123

Psychology Student
    Hey!

How did you learn about contacting the admissions office every week??? This is so great! Do you know any success stories? I am currently waitlisted at my number 1 school, UCSD SOM...

I sent in a letter of intent, I sent in a rec from my histology prof who is the chair of the bio dept, i sent in a rec from a student who attends UCSD SOM and also went to the same undergrad i went to... any more ideas??? i am no longer in school and i am currently working...

5. wassupjoehu

How long ago did you send in your LOI? If you have done something since that time that is significant ie. community service, clinical experience, write another LOI and explain in detail but keep it short (no more than 2 pages). Or if there is ANYTHING that you left out of your application that you feel is important. Maybe an experience that doesnt even relate to medicine but shows your work ethic/pasion/desire to want to help the underserved....etc. At this point, send it in, but make sure you do it every week and not everyday. Good Luck and I hope that helped. Oh and I do know a handful of people who got in this way. Just search on here "waitlist" and you can see people's success stories.

6. sona1128

I sent a LOI before I was waitlisted. I talked about how I will be presenting my research at a conference in May and about a pre-med conference I helped organize. Right now I'm just trying to finish senior year and my grades are okay but it is lower than my application GPA, so I want to avoid sending a transcript as much as possible. Should I repeat what I wrote in my first LOI, with some modifications? I also work as a tutor and I'm in a political organization on campus (very left group though, so might not be best idea if adcom or dean are conservative) and I am a key organizer for those events. Would it be okay to talk about those things? The only other thing I can think of is that I just started training a new student in the lab where I work. Is that just too insignificant to talk about? I just don't want my LOI to sound redundant.

Thanks so much for your help!