Do we have to know about optometry laws in the interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alferec

Future Army OD
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that interviewees are asked about some optometry laws...is this true? And if so, what do we need to know???

Members don't see this ad.

alferec said:
I heard that interviewees are asked about some optometry laws...is this true? And if so, what do we need to know???

During my interview I was asked about current issues in the field of optometry. I would do a little research about legislation just to be safe. If you google review of optometry you should be able to find plenty of information.

alferec said:

None of the interviewers asked me any optometry law questions. But my fellow interviewees were asked a couple of those questions. Sorry I don't know the specifics. One person was even asked a question about the origins of optometry.

Members don't see this ad :)
alferec said:

You should try to have a basic understanding of the laws in the states where your school is located and any state where you think you might be interested in practicing.

If you are going to school in Florida, and want to practice in Louisiana, they are unlikely to ask you questions about the laws in Wyoming.

Jenny

What basic laws should every optometrist know? For example, what kinds of laws tend to be true for all states? e.g. laws for managing glaucoma, writing prescriptions...ugh I have no idea! Any specifics would help!

alferec said:
What basic laws should every optometrist know? For example, what kinds of laws tend to be true for all states? e.g. laws for managing glaucoma, writing prescriptions...ugh I have no idea! Any specifics would help!

bump

yeah my interviewer at PCO asked if i knew the regulations and laws of any states (pennsylvania mostly), and generally if i knew the difference between the scope of canadian ods and american ods. nothing too in depth. :)

ariel winter said:
yeah my interviewer at PCO asked if i knew the regulations and laws of any states (pennsylvania mostly), and generally if i knew the difference between the scope of canadian ods and american ods. nothing too in depth. :)

are you canadian? i don't see how that is relevant to someone who is applying from the usa. though opticians being able to refract in canada might be relevant?