Do we need 2 semesters of orgo lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigRedPremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My college only recommends one semester of organic chem lab for premed. Not surprisingly, there is a drastic reduction in enrollment b/w first and second semester orgo lab. But for med schools, do I really need to take second semester orgo lab?

Members don't see this ad.

that was the best lab in my life, haha made so many cool stuff, and orgo too is just wonderful, LSD people LSD and crystal meth

My college only recommends one semester of organic chem lab for premed. Not surprisingly, there is a drastic reduction in enrollment b/w first and second semester orgo lab. But for med schools, do I really need to take second semester orgo lab?

Yes, I believe that most medical schools require two semesters of Organic Chemistry + Lab (a full year), although there are some schools that will allow you to substitute one semester of organic with biochemistry. Check the MSAR for the schools you intend to apply for the exact requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)

I _think_ that 3 hours in 1 semester for lab counts as 2 semesters of organic with lab. Not sure though.

I _think_ that 3 hours in 1 semester for lab counts as 2 semesters of organic with lab. Not sure though.

Here's how it worked in my school:

Organic Chemistry I Lecture (3 semester credit hours)
Organic Chemistry I Lab (1 semester credit hour)

Organic Chemistry II Lecture (3 semester credit hours)
Organic Chemistry II Lab (1 semester credit hour)

Total: 6 Credit Hours of Lecture and 2 Credit Hours of Lab

My school does it this way.

Organic Chemistry I: 4 credit lecture
Organic Chemistry II: 4 credit lecture
Organic Chemistry Lab: 2 credit lab

The lab meets twice a week. Once is an hour long lecture/quiz section. The lab actually runs for 4 hours once a week. It covers material from both orgo I and II.

Just a note: My physics lab is the same way but without the lab lecture. There is just the lecture before every lab begins.

Anyway, biochemistry lab does take the place of organic chemistry at some schools, but at my school the biochem lab is 6 hours long. (I did enjoy it though).

The lab meets twice a week. Once is an hour long lecture/quiz section. The lab actually runs for 4 hours once a week. It covers material from both orgo I and II.

Just a note: My physics lab is the same way but without the lab lecture. There is just the lecture before every lab begins.

Anyway, biochemistry lab does take the place of organic chemistry at some schools, but at my school the biochem lab is 6 hours long. (I did enjoy it though).

My school does it the same way but the Organic Lab lasts for both semesters. So we end up with 8 credits of lectures and 4 lab credits.

Our organic lab at my school is 2 credits (Which is really 3 hours, twice a week.)

The orgo lab course at Cornell is 2 credits/semester while the lecture course is 3 credits/semester. So right now I have 6 lecture credits and 2 lab credits. It SEEMS to be okay since I have many friends who've gotten interviews/acceptances into med schools with just 1 semester of orgo lab.

The enrollment in Chem251 (1st semester lab) is 250+ students while the enrollment in Chem252 (2nd semester lab) is 20 students. So it looks like an awful lot of premeds would be screwed if 4 credits of lab are required. I'm just not sure how to interpret: "1 year of orgo w/ lab."

Same at JHU except that Orgo Lab is 3 credits. Lab and Lecture.

As long as you have 8 credits for orgo, youre okay.

1 year of Orgo with Lab means 2 semesters of Orgo lecture and 1 semester of Orgo lab, at least at my school. If your premed program also only requires only one semester then that's fine. There's no need to take the second semester unless you like Orgo lab.

Every pre-med I knew at Cornell only took one semester and they are all in med school.

I also only took one semester - but I'm sitting on no interviews at this point so don't go by me.

Yes, pretty much all the schools require two semesters of Ochem.....These are the foundation classes for the medical field.........

Yes, pretty much all the schools require two semesters of Ochem.....These are the foundation classes for the medical field.........
They require two semester of OChem lecture but the OP is asking about OChem lab, which I think is school-specific.

well, every class at my school is 4 credits, lab or not... ( so basically, non science majors get a joke of an education). But taking lab is requried if you take the lecture, and the lecture and lab are one single grade.