Do we need good grades in pharmacy school

Started by david05
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well enough about me. I am a modest person as we all know so I don't like to talk about myself a lot. :laugh:
The POINT IS follow the quote below: This should be everyone's motto.

Good grades are very important.
School with a great reputation is very important.
Having money is very important.
Looking HOT is even more important.

The point is folks everything is VERY important. 🙂

You must try to exceed at everything in life to have value. 👍
 
I am 1 or 2 above. I grew up in an area that's mostly Koreans. LOL...and I get plenty of second looks. I been to Houston twice and had my share there too. :laugh:

Koreans supposed to be superior in looks? Lol I think not. out of town girl that gets gassed up and put out.. Think about that one
 
Koreans supposed to be superior in looks? Lol I think not.

Agreed. I am not Korean. I grew up with mostly Koreans and Asians in the city though.

PUT OUT? 😱 Oh NO you didn't go there!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes this is an extremely stupid question.

Getting good grades is not a matter of needs. Its a matter of who you are and how you live your life. You have one life to live. Why wouldnt you strive to achieve excellence in a life long investment of education that will be you occupation for the rest of your life?

When you're playing a balancing act, achieving the best grade possible might not fit some people's definition of "achieving excellence."
 
Hello everyone, 😀

It seems a stupid question, but I heard that grade in pharmacy school doesn't matter; as long as you earn grades that you can pass the classes (maybe Cs), maintain the required GPA to graduate the pharmacy school, and pass the board exam at the end.

Is this true? Does GPA matter when we look for a job? Do employers only look at whether or not you pass the board exam? (i'm not talking about experience)


Thank


It's not always a bad thing to fail!

I used to think that was important when I graduated from college. But, from experience I know- who gives a **** what your GPA is. I've known dumba**es that graduated from Pharmacy school with no residency (Yes you don't need a f***kn residency PERIOD) to get jobs in hospitals. This particular person got several jobs in the clinical arena.

And, I've known people with high GPAs, that didn't get hospital or even good jobs for that matter. As a matter of fact I am a B student (With 4 degrees I might add. After my college degree, I even had a professor tell me I'd never get into a Masters Program with the GPA I had (2.9 a GPA of hard classes, not underwater basketweaving classes) My next degree was a masters at Johns Hopkins School of Public Health.) Today, after graduating from pharmacy school last year, I am doing much better than some other students I know that were in Rho ki or whatever (to date, already earned 100k after all possible taxes).

I got kicked out of a rotation (due to an ******* of a preceptor, who had the nerve to have his secretary ask me if I have a learning disability. Yes, the preceptor was white, and I'm black) and failed a stats class. Mind you, my math skills can't possible be that shabby as in one rotation where a group of us were using a spread sheet to enter criteria such as weight, height, and whatever to calculate creatine clearance based on whether the person was overweight, underweight or normaI, I created through a series of IF AND, OR statements, equations which I put into the spreadsheet that automatically calculated Creatine clearance, thereby eleminating the calculations we had to do and the time we spent at that site.

Anyway, I'd like to go back and show that preceptor how well I'm doing. And, it wasn't just one preceptor that was a f**kn a**. And as for the stats class. It's a good thing I had to retake it. In the make over stats class I took at another university with real math majors, I learned; what great opportunities there are in statistics, met very interesting people, learned through use about different statistical programs and learned about other possible areas where one can make money.

It's not the first time in my life where failure has benefited me. In addition, I also missed a small class in the beginning of my 3rd year where we were required to learn about reflexes of the body, do physicals, etc. I ended up retaking the class with a host of pharmacists from all over the country. I again met with some more interesting people. And this mishap is responsible for my upcoming trip to Aruba in November- Seminars for pharmacists abroad- google it. Tax write off baby!!!

Its not so terrible to fail sometimes!

Again, I wish the best for all those pharmacy students looking for jobs. Good luck and god bless!
 
Speaking of relationships, SHC, how are things with the "hot" roommate you posted pictures of? Or was it the neighbor? I can't remember.

The roommate and I are so so...the neighbor and I are getting along very well. Almost too well. 😉

When you're playing a balancing act, achieving the best grade possible might not fit some people's definition of "achieving excellence."

Read my quote above.

yeah it's most definitely the men that are the problem and most definitely not a reflection of SHC in any way:meanie:

You are 100% right.


Can't read this. Work block whatever you posted.
 
Sometimes you don't even need to know what someone looks like to be able to tell that they are not hot/not attractive. At least for me, nasty personality/lack of common sense/stupidity/arrogance/etc can completely negate someone's physical attractiveness.

*cough* SHC *cough*
 
When you're playing a balancing act, achieving the best grade possible might not fit some people's definition of "achieving excellence."

I dont subscribe to this sense of justification of mediocrity that "my grades would have been better if......" because there are those who do it all and achieve high excellence. And those are the ones youre competing against.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Z, you should make a national pharmacy org and appoint me as an officer so I can fill this gaping hole in my CV (leadership) and be one of the cool kids who "do it all and achieve high excellence" :meanie:

You can make up lack of leadership with publication and presentations. Do posters.
 
When you're playing a balancing act, achieving the best grade possible might not fit some people's definition of "achieving excellence."

Because there is no substitute for victory. You do what ever it takes to win. Sleep, party, play, shop, piss, poop less... just do it. I would still be in the ghetto if my family only did as much as everyone else. Complain about the game all you want, but you get one go at this, do whatever it takes to win. In time you might even enjoy the pride of being at the top of the class.

Of course the well rounded candidate still applies. While securing a good GPA, you need to be simultaneously doing all the other stuff, e.g internship, research, leadership, etc. But none of the other stuff are as easily quantified on the scoring matrix for a residency candidate as the GPA.
 
Last edited:
Because there is no substitute for victory. You do what ever it takes to win. Sleep, party, play, shop, piss, poop less... just do it. I would still be in the ghetto if my family only did as much as everyone else. Complain about the game all you want, but you get one go at this, just do whatever it takes to win.

I am, I'm more anti social lately, and ignoring people who try to make small conversations with me. Don't know if this will help me stay more focus...
 
I got a staff pharmacist job at a major hospital with a 2.3 GPA. However, that's not my ultimate goal. Personally, I want the Clinical Coordinator job, which is something you now need a residency for. My GPA is probably no good for getting a residency, so I'd have to gain experience as a staff pharmacist and then take the BCPS exam, and then go after the Clinical Coordinator job.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are you thinking about applying for a residency after a year or two in the field? I've known a few people who went that route. I wonder how heavily GPA is weighted when you've been practicing for 2 years.

No way. I'm not willing to drop my pay in half. I'd rather spend a few years doing this and go for the BCPS or try to sneak into one of those clinical positions without a residency.
 
You are the one and only...billions of fans would disagree. I don't think anyone has ever call this actress unattractive before to be honest and this is the most modest photo that doesn't even do her justice. :laugh:

I am 1 or 2 above. I grew up in an area that's mostly Koreans. LOL...and I get plenty of second looks. I been to Houston twice and had my share there too. :laugh:

Good grades are very important.
School with a great reputation is very important.
Having money is very important.
Looking HOT is even more important.

The point is folks everything is VERY important. 🙂

You must try to exceed at everything in life to have value. 👍

9 months...I have had many relationships and they usually last 3 to 9 months.
If I were to dive in that pool, I'd crack my skull, break my back, and shatter my pelvis.

Way too shallow...
 
I got a staff pharmacist job at a major hospital with a 2.3 GPA. However, that's not my ultimate goal. Personally, I want the Clinical Coordinator job, which is something you now need a residency for. My GPA is probably no good for getting a residency, so I'd have to gain experience as a staff pharmacist and then take the BCPS exam, and then go after the Clinical Coordinator job.

How did you even graduate with a 2.3? Minimum at my school is 2.5 to graduate. Once you drop lower than that you are on academic probation.
 
How did you even graduate with a 2.3? Minimum at my school is 2.5 to graduate. Once you drop lower than that you are on academic probation.

Minimum here was a 2.0. Acing rotations doesn't affect your GPA but failing a rotation does. I failed a public health rotation because I refused to go out in the street and talk to random people about sex and HIV and convince them to get HIV tested. Not to mention, they gave us a ****ing quota too.
 
I actually like my courses so far and trying to understand and excel in them. The fact that GPA doesn't matter even for retail is quite demotivating.