Do we read novels in freshman composition class ?

tennisball80

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In a freshman composition course, do we usually read a novel or not ? I have thought that freshman composition course teaches you how to write so we don't need to read a novel. Correct me if I am wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't have to read any novels in either of my comp courses (ENG 101 and 102). The novels I have had to read have been in history classes. The readings for the comp courses were short stories and essays that we would discuss in class.

Yes, but usually, you have to write about a novel/short story. In my English 101/102 courses, we read a whole slew of short stories, and additionally, Hamlet, The Awakening, A Doll's House (okay, so this is a play), The Scarlet Letter, Jekyll and Hyde, and The Bluest Eye. Definitely be prepared to read for any English class.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely be prepared to read for any English class.

:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

I would have to find a young and hot English professor so she can keep me going to her class then.

Thanks guys for the answers. I now know that I have to still read stories in college.

Mm. You should give me reputation points for my wonderful, informative answer. 'Cause I just lost one for being in high school, and my feelings are hurt. :(

:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

I would have to find a young and hot English professor so she can keep me going to her class then.

Thanks guys for the answers. I now know that I have to still read stories in college.

This is totally possible, usually the teachers of these freshman level entry english classes are young grad students.

Which also means it might not be so bad, I had to read fight club for my english one class and write about.

You got to read Fight Club? No way! That is so unfair! I got stuck reading Robert Louis Stevenson and Nathaniel Hawthorn, and you get to read one of my favorite authors. Lucky dog.

You got to read Fight Club? No way! That is so unfair! I got stuck reading Robert Louis Stevenson and Nathaniel Hawthorn, and you get to read one of my favorite authors. Lucky dog.

yea its a great book. Thats the great thing about having grad students teach the class, at least the BS ones.

I think all courses are slightly different. The overarching theme will be that you will write about something and express your views in some paper as well. This could be anywhere from reading a book and reviewing it, to maybe even analyzing a picture. The short answer would really be "maybe." I know at my school, there were different intro English courses, so make sure to look into that so that you find one that fits you best if you are given a choice.

I take "advanced composition," and we don't read any novels or anything. Normally, in a composition class you won't be reading novels, more along the lines of short stories and things (if that). It's usually English Lit that has to read all the famous works and things.