Do you call a podiatrist a Dr.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

watermen

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you call a podiatrist a Dr.?

Members don't see this ad.

The degree is Doctor of Podiatric Medicine, so I would think yes.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
with that rationale, do you then call a DPT a doctor?

I'm a PT who is in med school and do not feel it's appropriate to call a DPT doctor in a clinical setting (creates far too much confusion). My personal preference is to reserve the term "doctor" for those who have prescribing rights (so DPM for me does get the "doctor" from me).

I don't call podiatrists at all.

Reactions: 1 user
with that rationale, do you then call a DPT a doctor?

I'm a PT who is in med school and do not feel it's appropriate to call a DPT doctor in a clinical setting (creates far too much confusion). My personal preference is to reserve the term "doctor" for those who have prescribing rights (so DPM for me does get the "doctor" from me).

In the clinical setting it may indeed create confusion but I had assumed the OP was asking about direct communication between me and the Pod/DPT.

If someone has a doctorate and we are not one first name basis, yes...I call them doctor until told otherwise.

Given your preference that means you wouldn't call most of your basic science professors (who likely have PhDs), your dentist or a psychologist, doctor. That's fine if you are comfortable with that, I happen to feel differently and find that this attitude is much more common amongst pre-meds and med students than medical doctors, and frankly, smacks a bit of arrogance (not from you personally, but commonly from others).

Would you call a dentist Dr.? It seems like the same question, and my answer's yes. Physicians didn't invent the doctorate degree and don't have the sole ownership of it.

Would you call a dentist Dr.? It seems like the same question, and my answer's yes. Physicians didn't invent the doctorate degree and don't have the sole ownership of it.

Even researchers with PhDs are considered to be doctors. Wow, amazing stuff.

I actually had a Podiatry 4th year student rotating on the same medicine service as me for a few weeks and was quite impressed at the level of understanding they expressed on general medical concepts and standards of care (not related to the foot).

yup, podiatrists get to be "dr"
4 yrs of college
4 years of podiatry school
3 years of residency

that's as much school as most md/do's who do a 3 yr residency(fp/im/em/etc).
they can independently evaluate pts within their specialty and admit to the hospital under their own name.
they can take pts to the o.r. and operate
they can write prescriptions for anything.
so yes, they are foot and ankle surgeons and can call themselves dr all day long.

I work at a place that uses lots of dpm's and dpm residents and have nothing but respect for these folks. the only downside I can see to the profession is that they are woefully underpaid for the amt of training they have.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
this is a perennial topic. here's what i wrote on an automotive board of all places a few weeks ago:

me said:
like others, i think it's appropriate in the proper context to refer to PhDs or MDs as "doctor". however, i do not refer to people as "doctor" in these situations:

1. MDs or DOs in social situations away from the hospital, clinic, or classroom -- and on the ward i call my residents and attending by their first names at their insistence

2. JDs in any situation -- they are "attorney", "esquire", or "lawyer"

3. PharmDs, ODs, DPTs, DCs, NPs or DNPs, DVMs, or NDs, whether in the hospital, "animal hospital" or not. i don't care whether your professional organization of choice pushed hard enough that you're now a "doctor" of whatever. you're not a physician, and calling yourself "doctor" in a medical setting is poor taste at best, misleading and possibly dangerous at worst. if you call yourself "doctor" outside the hospital (like in advertisements or in conversation) you're also being deceptive, as you well know what a layperson infers from that title.

i would refer to a podiatrist as "doctor" in her/his clinic, however. anyone who has surgery privileges at the hospital passes in my book.

they can write prescriptions for anything.

What can they write prescriptions for? The first time I've ever worked with Podiatrists was during my 4th year anesthesiology rotation when they were doing their procedures. But other than that, I don't know much about what they actually do.

It depends on the state and the hospital as far as what they can do. As far as surgery they can cut to the bone on the ankle down and into the soft tissue from the knee down. In some states and hospitals, they can manage anything as long as it has to do with the lower extremities, that includes stuff like diabetes...though all of the ones I know would not do that because they know better. They are not medicine docs, they're surgeons.

My hospital has a podiatry residency and our resident is a single guy, so I call him doctor all the time (even though we are on a first name basis) to try to help him hook up with the nurses... lol I like to refer to him not as a podiatrist but rather a foot and ankle surgeon...who just happens to like to cut toenails on the side... lol

What can they write prescriptions for? The first time I've ever worked with Podiatrists was during my 4th year anesthesiology rotation when they were doing their procedures. But other than that, I don't know much about what they actually do.

Prolly Abx, etc.

I've always wondered why Podiatry isn't an MD subspecialty. So weird to have specialized surgeons with their own degree . . .

I call Podiatrists "footsies"

I've always wondered why Podiatry isn't an MD subspecialty. So weird to have specialized surgeons with their own degree . . .

Does anyone know why exactly they arent considered an MD subspecialty?

Probably because they don't go to medical school, they go to Podiatry school.

:thumbup:

But perhaps he was asking why Podiatry itself isnt a pathway from medical school as opposed to its own separate field.

:)

:thumbup:

But perhaps he was asking why Podiatry itself isnt a pathway from medical school as opposed to its own separate field.

:)

Yeah, that was pretty much my question. I'm sure there's some complicated history in there involving the civil war, allopathic prejudice, and clever quotes from long dead white guys.

podiatrists go to podiatric medical school to become podiatric medical physicians.

The answer to this is along the same vein as why there are osteopaths, allopaths, chiropaths, and homeopaths. Back in the 19th century when medical science was still premordial there were alot of different views as to what was causing disease and how to treat it. (kind of like there was the religious revivals of the 16th-17th century so now you have baptists, and methodist, and satanists all clammering to heal your spiritual ails.)

The key is that medicine was just starting to be organized and alot of common issues were not yet recognized as systemic or medical in origin. Now what does this have to do with Podiarists. Well these were the people you went to when you had a corn or something on your foot (cause we have all seen footwear from that era and it sucked). Just like a barber cuts hair they cut stuff of your feet. No one had yet recognized systemic issues nor had we even discovered antibiotics yet. So the industry grew and they got organized and formed foot schools and such. Then as medical science grew and several world wars introduced grave foot issues the scope of practice increased. To now where as new issues specific to the foot are discovered they treat them. Because they already had their schools, and boards, and what not established there was no need to absorb them.

Now of course not all issues with the foot go to podiatry much of the trauma and such goes to the orthopedist.

The answer to this is along the same vein as why there are osteopaths, allopaths, chiropaths, and homeopaths. Back in the 19th century when medical science was still premordial there were alot of different views as to what was causing disease and how to treat it. (kind of like there was the religious revivals of the 16th-17th century so now you have baptists, and methodist, and satanists all clammering to heal your spiritual ails.)

The key is that medicine was just starting to be organized and alot of common issues were not yet recognized as systemic or medical in origin. Now what does this have to do with Podiarists. Well these were the people you went to when you had a corn or something on your foot (cause we have all seen footwear from that era and it sucked). Just like a barber cuts hair they cut stuff of your feet. No one had yet recognized systemic issues nor had we even discovered antibiotics yet. So the industry grew and they got organized and formed foot schools and such. Then as medical science grew and several world wars introduced grave foot issues the scope of practice increased. To now as new issues specific to the foot are discovered they treat them. Because they already had their schools, and boards, and what not established there was no need to absorb them.

Now of course not all issues with the foot go to podiatry much of the trauma and such goes to the orthopedist.

Now as for the other ones (chiro's, homeo's) well, as it turns out there is a scientific basis for disease and its treatment and as that was the allo's contention all along they won and now dominate the medical lanscape. Hope this helps some.

Oh and just an FYI...

Most of what title is used has to do with the traditions of their individual societies. (For example surgeons in England prefer to be called Mister because along time ago they were snubbed by the Royal College of Medicine. They can get quite offended if you call them Doctor).

Medical doctors are doctors or physicians and that has been the way they have wanted to be called. As it turns out the ostepaths, chiropaths, and even the homeopaths also have used this term for themselves. Except for the homeopaths (which really have no true governing body), I think most people call them all doctors by habit. The podiatrist have used this term, they have rights to prescribe and dispense; and as such by convention, are called doctor. Now it is entirely up to you what you use as your convention (you can call them stinking wallypickers if you want). But if I feel comfortable enough to refer a patient to them I will probably say Doctor So-and-so.

...kind of like there was the religious revivals of the 16th-17th century so now you have baptists, and methodist, and satanists all clammering to heal your spiritual ails.) ...

So which current healtcare professional correlates to the satanists?

Ego stroking is never a bad deal when dealing with people personally.:D

Whereas I don't have problem with referring to anyone who obtained a doctorate as a "doctor", I do take issue with referring to Chiropractors and Podiatrists as Chiropractic Physicians and Podiatric Physicians, respectively.

On that same note, simply because someone earned a doctorate does not necessarily mean we should refer to them causually or professionally as Doctor. My wife received her Juris Doctorate (J.D.) but we'd never call an attorney "Doctor". I have an arsenal of other adjectives that I deploy when speaking of lawyers...none of which indicate "Doctor".:laugh:

this is a perennial topic. here's what i wrote on an automotive board of all places a few weeks ago:

i would refer to a podiatrist as "doctor" in her/his clinic, however. anyone who has surgery privileges at the hospital passes in my book.

There can only be one Rubb on this forum and I think I was here first. :laugh: :laugh:

Okay so maybe you were here first but still . . . I have the avatar.

Absolutely not! Not deserving of the title "doctor". Any slob with the $$$ can get into chiropractic "school".
By this logic, should we not call physicians "doctor" if they earned their MD from certain offshore med schools?

There are many types of "doctors" who aren't physicians. This is why we have the term physician. To assume that only folks in our career path should have that titled is kind of silly.

:thumbdown:
Absolutely not! Not deserving of the title "doctor". Any slob with the $$$ can get into chiropractic "school".
:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

You are an A$$. Chiropractors go through some very vigorous training for three years and do deserve to be called doctor. Just becasue they are not MD/DO does not mean they are SLOBS! Get a life!

By this logic, should we not call physicians "doctor" if they earned their MD from certain offshore med schools?

The ones that dont pass the exams are not really doctors.

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

You are an A$$. Chiropractors go through some very vigorous training for three years and do deserve to be called doctor.

BSNs and MSNs go through >3 years of very rigorous training, and also deserve to be called doctor!

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

You are an A$$. Chiropractors go through some very vigorous training for three years and do deserve to be called doctor. Just becasue they are not MD/DO does not mean they are SLOBS! Get a life!

Sure they are! Getting into chiropractic school requires a pulse and the requisite entrance fee. Hey clown.......here's a quarter.......see if you can buy a clue.:laugh:

I don't call podiatrists at all.
Secret Hate ?

I think anyone who has a doctorate should be called it and in a clinical setting anyone who writes scripts or has the power to kill or deeply parallelize you should be called doctors ,besides hobos.

Secret Hate ?

I think anyone who has a doctorate should be called it and in a clinical setting anyone who writes scripts or has the power to kill or deeply parallelize[sic] you should be called doctors ,besides hobos.
chuck norris should be called a doctor?! :confused: :D

I would say definitely call them "Doctor so and so" but don't call them "the doctor" or "a doctor". Foot doctor is iffy to me.

the real question is what's the difference between a podiatrist and a foot/ankle orthopod????

the real question is what's the difference between a podiatrist and a foot/ankle orthopod????

Extent of training. While they may do similar procedures, the orthopod has completed a general orthopedic residency with a foot/ankle fellowship. He is still trained to work above the ankle whereas the podiatrist is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.