Do you get a onscreen calculator for DAT chem section or just QR section ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JoRony

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you get an onscreen calculator for DAT chem section or just QR section?

what do you get to write stuff? paper or small whiteboard and eraser?

also if you let's say you finish chem section faster then the given time, does that extra bit of time rollover to the next subject ?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Sadly you do not get a calculator for the chem section. It's 100 questions for bio/ochem/gchem at once. If you manage to finish early on one section, you get the remainder of time to look over the other 2 or go back. I haven't taken the exam yet, but I'm pretty sure they give you a pencil and paper during the exam.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you get an onscreen calculator for DAT chem section or just QR section?

what do you get to write stuff? paper or small whiteboard and eraser?

also if you let's say you finish chem section faster then the given time, does that extra bit of time rollover to the next subject ?

Thanks!

Like @DrRipStudwell said, there's only a calculator for the QR section (not any of the chems). You should learn how to use the calculator as a tool rather than a crutch, because it's pretty fidgety and you don't want to waste time trying to use it on simple math.

My testing center had laminate paper and fine point Expo markers. Think the stuff that teachers used to write on for projectors in elementary school. Unfortunately, my markers had far less than a fine point because they were worn down so much, but they were useable. You can change out everything during the break, including the markers, because it's kind of hard to erase the laminate sheets.

Extra time does not roll over to other subjects. The first section is the survey of natural sciences, and it allows you to go over BIO, GC, and OC. You can go back to any of these sections during the allotted time. All the other sections are completely separate, and you cannot go back.

I definitely recommend pursuing through the DAT 2019 Guide if you haven't already, it has pretty much all the information about the test format on there. Also, check out the Prometric website to gauge about your testing center.

Reactions: 1 user