Do you get more respect from attendings once you're a resident?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poit

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Compared to being a med student, do new interns find they get more respect from attendings, or does that not happen until they have a year or two to warm up to you?

Members don't see this ad.

Comparing IM as a 3rd and 4th (sub-I) vs my medicine intern year, I can't think of any situations where my attendings were disrespectful to me.

Could be different in surgical intern years. When I was doing a neurosurgery rotation, the attendings were a lot harsher on the residents than on the med students; does that correlate with respect? I don't think so. I don't think attendings except much out of med students because they're still in the process of getting their feet wet for the most part. Interns and residents are also doing the same thing, yet to a different degree, and bear more responsibility than a med student.

Reactions: 1 user
residents get more respect from me once they lose their intern jitters and risks. varies from 2 months in to 1 year in. That said, no one gets disrespected by me. MS 3/4's get different type and levels of respect completely separate from interns/residents. Interested (not fakely) in my field gets extra teaching and respect, just passing through gets just teaching about what my field is so they have some perspective without disrespect.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m a brand new intern and I feel like I get a lot more respect from attendings and nurses and everyone in between. It’s really nice. Granted, I’m at a different institution now, but still.

Reactions: 5 users
I’m a brand new intern and I feel like I get a lot more respect from attendings and nurses and everyone in between. It’s really nice. Granted, I’m at a different institution now, but still.
Holy moly, @Oso is a resident??? Time flies!

Reactions: 2 users
Compared to being a med student, do new interns find they get more respect from attendings, or does that not happen until they have a year or two to warm up to you?
You certainly get more attention. They are now cosigning your notes and are responsible for your orders, so the days of feeling invisible vanish the day you start residency.

Whether that attention is positive depends on how you meet their standards. Most interns don't (and aren't supposed to) know what they're doing, so there will probably be at least a little while when you will wish you could go back to being invisible. Then you get better.

Reactions: 6 users
Definitely depends on what you mean by “respect”. Would I trust a new intern to take care of patients without sufficient oversight? Absolutely not. Would I act in a nasty disrespectful manner? Of course not.

Respect like treat you nice or respect like admire/respect your clinical knowledge?

Attendings should always be nice and respectful. In terms of respecting you as a clinician, that’s a late pgy-2, pgy-3 thing.

Depends on how you define respect.

There's a lot of things that are "better," but there's a lot of things that are way HARDER.

You will still wish to be invisible. You will still be talked down to. You will be talked to harshly and rebuked for things you had zero control over or zero knowledge about. You will still be held to impossible standards and ridiculous quirks.

The better you are and the longer you are there, the better this gets, of course.

Depends on how thick your skin is. Doctors as a rule are sort of a nasty verbally abusive bunch. Ever notice how fellow physicians often address each other on this site? Yes for professionalism reasons it rarely gets "as real as all that yo" IRL but it's still there.

It's not difficult to make me cry. I wasn't the only one with a lot of tears in residency. YMMV.

I am not sure about respect, but I am into my 4/5th week of residency and I get better treatment by virtually everyone that I have come in contact with in the hospital than when I was a med student.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Yes definitely. You also get more investment from your fellow residents as well. For example, I will let/make our interns do absolutely any procedure that is safe for them to do so they learn how to do it as soon as possible. Selfishly, this makes everyone’s life easier because they develop skills and become more independent.

As far as attendings, that’s a gradual process and probably does take a few years depending on your program and how big your department is and how good you are. As expected, the more they work with you and learn to trust you, the more they respect you and trust you.

It’s not respect so much as an increased expectation level. Nurses seem to respect us more only because they know we are the ones that can make their patients stop bugging them. Otherwise, they wouldn’t really care.

Last edited: