do you get to travel in pharmacy school??

Started by neopentane
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

neopentane

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hi ppl....just wondering that once you are in pharm school, do u get to travel to like diff cities/states to attend seminars/confrences/conventions, to do presentations, etc....???😀
 
hi ppl....just wondering that once you are in pharm school, do u get to travel to like diff cities/states to attend seminars/confrences/conventions, to do presentations, etc....???
 
hi ppl....just wondering that once you are in pharm school, do u get to travel to like diff cities/states to attend seminars/confrences/conventions, to do presentations, etc....???😀

I could be wrong, but I don't think the school pays for your travels if you do. I know Western encourages, I'd say requires, but I'm not 100% sure on that, the attendance of a summer conference of a professional society (ASHP,APHA, etc) I know Oregon State has rotations throughout the state, HI, Atlanta, and DC. You have to find your own travel, the school does try to help arrange lodging, but if it can't be arranged it's another out of pocket expense as far as I know. USC says you can get rotations at the CDC or FDA as well (Atlanta/DC).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yeah, if you want to take the time off from school and pay for your trip. APhA Annual was just in Atlanta, GA earlier in March. I heard that next year, it's in San Diego. Can anyone confirm this?
 
Yeah, if you want to take the time off from school and pay for your trip. APhA Annual was just in Atlanta, GA earlier in March. I heard that next year, it's in San Diego. Can anyone confirm this?

Please don't post in multiple threads. I merged the two and did leave a redirect in pre-pharm. Not sure if this belongs here or there, but I'll leave it here unless a mod thinks differently.

Re: conferences, I don't know about APHA, but I do know ASHP is in San Francisco this year.
 
I went to Atlanta for the Sugar Bowl....Jacksonville for the Gator Bowl...and I'm hoping maybe New Orleans this January....


If you mean "professionally related" things - yes, you can go to conferences and such - it's school excused, too.

I always had the inkling of pretending to go to a conference and rather go to Dave and Busters instead. Never did it, sadly.
 
Yeah, if you want to take the time off from school and pay for your trip. APhA Annual was just in Atlanta, GA earlier in March. I heard that next year, it's in San Diego. Can anyone confirm this?

so im a little confused....is this APhA required by the school
 
My school requires you attend one professional meeting to graduate. It can be anything as long as it is pharmacy related. They are pretty broad in what they will accept. A lot of people attend ASHP, ACCP, or APhA...but there are a lot that attend meetings that are more local. They will also count attending a CE session as long as it is hosted by a professional organization and not a drug company.
 
At my university, the Health Professional Student Council has a travel award. You can get up to $300 back for travel to professional conferences. For the past 2 years, APhA has received a grant from some pharmaceutical company to help students with paying to go to APhA National.
The school tries to ensure no exams are scheduled during major national/local meetings and legislative day.
 
APhA will be in San Diego next year. ASHP has a meeting in San Fransico this summer, but I don't think it has that much for students. ASHP midyear is in December. This is more student orientated, I believe. I think midyear is in Vegas this year.
 
APhA will be in San Diego next year. ASHP has a meeting in San Fransico this summer, but I don't think it has that much for students. ASHP midyear is in December. This is more student orientated, I believe. I think midyear is in Vegas this year.

Oh yeah...it's in Vegas. Pharmacy students + margaritas + slot machines = trouble.
 
There is room for traveling while being in pharmacy school. Some of the national meetings during a school semesters may be neccessary if you hold a position as an officer of a professional organization: ASCP/ASP/FSHP etc. (not mandatory)- I attended APhA-Meeting in Atlanta last year and depending on your chapters budget, they do reimburse a certain % back. (procedure & process sucks!) and you have to attend certain meetings that are held at the convention to qualify for reimbursement! During pharmacy school, most schools have- winter break, spring break, and 3-4 day holidays which also gives you an opportunity to travel on leisure. (truly take advantage of it)! 👍