Do you get used to standing while working...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JunkyardWillie

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I never realized how tiring it is to stand for 8 hours or more at a time until I started working at a pharmacy. Do you ever get used to this? After a while my back starts to hurt too.

Members don't see this ad.

JunkyardWillie said:
After a while my back starts to hurt too.
With access to all these drugs, your back _still_ hurts?

SomeGuy said:
With access to all these drugs, your back _still_ hurts?

Ouch.

You didn't just say that.

Members don't see this ad :)
JunkyardWillie said:
I never realized how tiring it is to stand for 8 hours or more at a time until I started working at a pharmacy. Do you ever get used to this? After a while my back starts to hurt too.

Yes, you do get used to it unless you have problems with your feet like my pharmacy technician wife does. She has a congenital abnormality which has limited the range of motion of a critical joint in the foot. She is excused from pursuing a pharmacy career as a result.

The rest of you, suck it up. Your muscles will get stronger allowing you to stand for weeks -- just like your pet Budgie. It will take about three months of full time to get over the discomfort.

Spend serious money on your shoes. Forget the jogging shoes, go for the good stuff. When ever possible get off one foot, preferably forward and back in the step stool position. This straightens the lower back & distributes stress elsewhere. I have the [bad] habit of lying on the counter with my elbows with one foot forward as described whenever I can get away with it. Pay close attention to the floor matts when you interview/tour a pharmacy. Cheap mats and lack of chairs or stools says something about how you will be treated (Rite Aid). The mats at Wallyworld are almost as soft as wrestling mats and the Federal Government actually allows their pharmacists to sit DOWN while you counsel patients!!!

The down side to this is varicose veins. The upside is a baseball players butt so my wife tells me :p

Whereas, pharmacists at my hospital work sitting on their arse.. :thumbup:

ZpackSux said:
Whereas, pharmacists at my hospital work sitting on their arse.. :thumbup:

Do hospital pharmacists sit more often when compared to retail pharmacists? I'm a huge fan of sitting. If pharmacists at hospitals sit more than I will mostly become a hospital pharmacist.

OoShimmeroO said:
Do hospital pharmacists sit more often when compared to retail pharmacists? I'm a huge fan of sitting. If pharmacists at hospitals sit more than I will mostly become a hospital pharmacist.

our pharmacists sit a lot, but it depends on what the are doing. if entering orders, then sitting down. if on the floors, with rounds then it can be either, sitting or standing.

besides entering orders, the pharmacists are also eating. :laugh:

I have died and gone to Madigan. Sitting is fine but can you wear jeans and a sport shirt to work?

sourceone_1851_7869485

rodi_1849_9776536

My main problem is foot pain, so I went to a uniform supply store and bought some nurse shoes. They have really good arch support and lots of padding inside.

OoShimmeroO said:

I'm in my office sitting all day long unless walking around the hospital..
I sit in meetings.

Our staff pharmacists sit while entering orders.. They rarely get up actually.
Our clinical pharmacist sits in her office.. and work sitting down on the floors in nursing units or dictation rooms.

Some of our techs work sitting down. Our IV tech works sitting in a chair. Of course...delivery techs work standing up... walking.

trishias said:
our pharmacists sit a lot, but it depends on what the are doing. if entering orders, then sitting down. if on the floors, with rounds then it can be either, sitting or standing.

besides entering orders, the pharmacists are also eating. :laugh:

Your pharmacists are lazy pigs.. :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

j/k

ZpackSux said:
Your pharmacists are lazy pigs.. :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

j/k

How do the older pharmacists do it? You would think there to be more of a turnover rate in the profession if it were that difficult to do, but there isn't. Why can't pharmacies be designed for the pharmacist to be able to sit down and do his or her work? Of course you're going to stand sometimes, but there should be a move to limit standing. Then again, I am a pro at waiting on lines, so this wouldn't phase me much.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard about these shoes called zcoil's- www.zcoil.com. I have heard a lot of MD's and med students wear them- albeit not at my hospital yet. I heard they are really comfortable even though they look strange and that they are good for bad backs Take a look at the website.

LBS615 said:
I have heard about these shoes called zcoil's- www.zcoil.com. I have heard a lot of MD's and med students wear them- albeit not at my hospital yet. I heard they are really comfortable even though they look strange and that they are good for bad backs Take a look at the website.
we wouldn't be allowed to wear them on rotations or anything......

strict dress code for rotations here...

dgroulx said:
My main problem is foot pain, so I went to a uniform supply store and bought some nurse shoes. They have really good arch support and lots of padding inside.

My wife swears by her nursing shoes. Even with them she would limp into the house at the end of the day. For years I wore Timberlands because the early Rockports were so clunky looking. Rockports are known as the "pharmacists shoe", built for comfort rather than speed just like me. Then by accident I found a pair of Rockports that were actually spiffy looking. The prices have dropped considerably. Back in the eighties I would pay as much as $150 for my Timberlands, but they would last absolutely freaking forever. I have a retired pair for around the house that are twelve years old.

The new Rockports are actually machine washable leather!!!

http://www.rockport.com/scripts/cgiip.exe/WService=rkptlatin1/rp/index.html

fruit fly said:
How do the older pharmacists do it? You would think there to be more of a turnover rate in the profession if it were that difficult to do, but there isn't. Why can't pharmacies be designed for the pharmacist to be able to sit down and do his or her work? Of course you're going to stand sometimes, but there should be a move to limit standing. Then again, I am a pro at waiting on lines, so this wouldn't phase me much.

I know several crippled pharmacists who do okay. They tend to rely heavily on their technicians and stay put in one place. One lady at Walgreens with Rheumatoid arthritis verifies from her chair on her really bad days

What about comfy but professional shoes for the gals? As a Rx clerk for many years I've been able to get away with my hip adidas and pumas.... It's about time I upgrade though..

ilovepharmacy said:
What about comfy but professional shoes for the gals? As a Rx clerk for many years I've been able to get away with my hip adidas and pumas.... It's about time I upgrade though..

:thumbup:

heels5ve.gif
:smuggrin:

ilovepharmacy said:
:laugh: silly goose.. i'm being serious.. what shoes do your female rph's wear?

They don't wear these.. but say hello to SAS shoes.

sas3ej.jpg

My love and the best shoe ever...

Buy some MERRELL's... you'll love the sandals and enjoy the colorful sneakers too!

sarahjth said:
My love and the best shoe ever...

Buy some MERRELL's... you'll love the sandals and enjoy the colorful sneakers too!

I love Merrell's for my casual, non-work shoes. They are really comfy.

Do you get used to it? Yes

But for me, my feet always hurt after work, and are sometimes still sore the next morning. Then again, I'm a student and cannot afford to invest in any expensive shoes.

bananaface said:
Lax on your dress code, hm? Would this have anything to do with the ex-cheerleader on staff?

She was wearing those for the interview.. :thumbup:

But I would like you to know.. I hired the better candidate with more experience rather than someone who can jump around with pompoms..

My recommendation:
Goodfeet.com
I suffered from intense heel and knee pain after working for only 4 years but these arch supports really restored my life. Expensive no doubt, but worth every penny.