You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Do you guys see many DOs in this field ?/FAQ in progress
Started by uhohspaghettio
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I am curious since I might apply to both MD and DO schools, and I am interested in doing pediatrics in the future. Can someone please honestly share what they know? Thank you.
Honestly?
Okay, here goes....
Yes, you can go DO and be a pediatrician. In fact, you can go DO and do any pediatric specialty at any hospital. Are there a few pedi hospitals that bias against DO's? Maybe. It's alleged here on SDN although I personally think that this is extremely limited if it exists at all. I don't believe that any current medical student could NOT get a position in any program if they did very well at any MD or DO medical school in the US. In general, don't worry about it and enjoy your medical education wherever you go. If somewhere, someone biases against you for who you are or where you went to school, well, there are lots of other great people at great programs who won't.
Okay folks, we really need a FAQ for pediatrics. I've just answered question #1. Who wants to answer the next two??
"I heard from a radiologist that pediatricians only start at $60,000/year, is this true?"
and
"Will people think I'm less of a man if I go into pediatrics?"
Put your answers here (or other similar ones...) and I'll summarize them into a FAQ that I won't make a sticky.
Keep the answers to a few sentences and avoid the desire to be excessively sarcastic. 🙄Hmmm, I'll give a crack at #3:
Less of a man? I think it takes a real man to put up with the crazy parents, incessantly crying babies, and general (sweet) madness of working with kids and still go home at the end of the day LOVING what you do. 🙂
Less of a man? I think it takes a real man to put up with the crazy parents, incessantly crying babies, and general (sweet) madness of working with kids and still go home at the end of the day LOVING what you do. 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"I heard from a radiologist that pediatricians only start at $60,000/year, is this true?"
#2 "A" radiologist? as in, just one? dear lord, on my 2-week stint in the dark room I had no less than 3 tell me 'boy, hope you don't mind being poor'...'good for you! someone has to do such noble work, even if you get paid nothing' 'really, pediatricians get paid peanuts, you seem to have a knack for these chest x-rays..'
????
where do they come up with this $#^#%Y&RUWE%@#@$? well, maybe if i sat in the dark all day making statements like 'likely benign process, cannot rule out neoplasm versus immunologic process versus infection versus blah blah blah clinical coorelation suggested' i too would have a gross misconception of the entire field of pediatrics and what exactly constitues poor

Stickied as the responses have been the most entertaining seen on pedi forum in a while. I lied about not stickying it...
Next questions (keep answering the earlier ones...)
4. What Step 1 score do a need to match in a "top" program? What if I double that for my Step 2 score?
5. What books do I need for my sub-I?
6. I want to be a pediatric specialist and only do clinical care. Do I really have to do research in my fellowship and do a 3 yr fellowship?
Next questions (keep answering the earlier ones...)
4. What Step 1 score do a need to match in a "top" program? What if I double that for my Step 2 score?
5. What books do I need for my sub-I?
6. I want to be a pediatric specialist and only do clinical care. Do I really have to do research in my fellowship and do a 3 yr fellowship?
unstickied because no one posted after I stickied it.
come on guys, we really DO need a FAQ for pedi.
Do I need to make assignments?😡
come on guys, we really DO need a FAQ for pedi.
Do I need to make assignments?😡
OBP,
I actually am about to start medical school at UNECOM up in Maine. Its an osteopathic school and I loved it when I visited. Being just a lowly MS0 right now, I cannot answer any questions, but I have a few if that is ok?
Here goes: What steps should a person interesting in entering peds take during the clinical years? What electives? What core rotations meaning does it matter if I my clinical site offers in-patient vs. out-patient? What should I take fourth year?
Pretty much, can someone lay out what they did to arrive at a career in peds? Thanks all.
-Rob
I actually am about to start medical school at UNECOM up in Maine. Its an osteopathic school and I loved it when I visited. Being just a lowly MS0 right now, I cannot answer any questions, but I have a few if that is ok?
Here goes: What steps should a person interesting in entering peds take during the clinical years? What electives? What core rotations meaning does it matter if I my clinical site offers in-patient vs. out-patient? What should I take fourth year?
Pretty much, can someone lay out what they did to arrive at a career in peds? Thanks all.
-Rob
unstickied because no one posted after I stickied it.
come on guys, we really DO need a FAQ for pedi.
Do I need to make assignments?😡
I nominate pediatrics as the deadest forum on this entire website.
I think the 'financial aid', 'spouses and partners', and 'USMLE step 3' subforums have more lively discussions going on than we do! 😴
OBP you are our life support! (ecmo?)
I nominate pediatrics as the deadest forum on this entire website.
I think the 'financial aid', 'spouses and partners', and 'USMLE step 3' subforums have more lively discussions going on than we do! 😴
OBP you are our life support! (ecmo?)
This is because we are working so hard for our meager daily bread, that we can't afford the needed time to take a break and post.
This is because we are working so hard for our meager daily bread, that we can't afford the needed time to take a break and post.
i see.
and wifi signal in the soup kitchens, skid row and salvation army lines is not strong enough for the starving pediatricians check the blackberry.
perhaps we can send messeges to each other by various stomping patterns in the bread lines?
[note to those looking for a pediatrics faq--insert heavy dose of sarcasm here!]
i see.
and wifi access in the soup kitchens, skid row and salvation army lines is not strong enough for the starving pediatricians check the blackberry. perhaps we can send messeges to each other by various stomping patterns in the bread lines?
[note to those looking for a pediatrics faq--insert heavy dose of sarcasm here!]
Well, I'm taking my new Cingular 8525 with internet Wifi on my trip to Paris this weekend. 😛 . Is that close enough?
Well, I'm taking my new Cingular 8525 with internet Wifi on my trip to Paris this weekend. 😛 . Is that close enough?
Paris? OBP, I need to travel with you.
Paris? OBP, I need to travel with you.
Not my type. I don't travel well with Gators who then....well, you haven't exactly found the light yet👎 .
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad