How many invites do you have so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yellowcocopuffs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question is for everyone who applied for the match this cycle.
How many did you apply to vs how many invites have you received?
Just out of curiosity.

Members don't see this ad.

Applied to 33. Invited to 10 so far.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seriously hating the wait!!! I know it's still early on and a lot of programs extend interviews throughout October, but still can't help wondering if programs that are already inviting others are gonna be sending me one as well!

Applied to 16 and have 6 invites so far. I think it really just depends on which programs you're applying to--they all seem so different with their invite schedules!

Reactions: 1 user
applied to 43, 17 invites so far...I did not know what to expect so I applied to wide variety of programs and have received a good mix of invites from different types of programs (large vs small, university-based vs community-based, in-state vs out-of-state, etc..)

Reactions: 1 user
Applied to 22, received 6 so far. Haven't received one since last Friday. Wondering if I applied to enough programs...

Last edited:
Same, I was hearing back from programs steadily throughout the first 2 weeks, but nothing this week :(
Also nothing since MSPEs were released

Same. Haven't received any invites since Monday. Radio-silent!

Same, I was hearing back from programs steadily throughout the first 2 weeks, but nothing this week :(
Also nothing since MSPEs were released

Well I think the schools that care about the MSPEs will need time to read them. Since Oct 1 was a Thursday this year, I figured schools would be reading applications over the weekend and more invites will come out next week.

Reactions: 1 users
Well I think the schools that care about the MSPEs will need time to read them. Since Oct 1 was a Thursday this year, I figured schools would be reading applications over the weekend and more invites will come out next week.

This seems about right. Next week will probably be a decent week for invites.

Members don't see this ad :)
Applied to 22 programs with 15 invites so far (5 after MSPEs were released). Good mix of programs, too. I didn't really know what to expect, so it's a pleasant (read: reassuring) surprise!

Of note, it looks like many of the larger programs are/will be a little late to the party for most folks, so we'll see what next week brings!

Looking at the Interview Broker calendar for several of the programs I got an invite at, theres still a lot of spots open (with the exception of UVA). So Im sure a bunch more invites are going to go out in the next few weeks! :)

Applied to 50, have invites from 26.

I feel like some programs are completely full already (most likely the ones that sent out invites earlier in the cycle...they probably sent out their 2nd batch earlier this week, like Phoenix Children's). Others seem to have started sending the invites late and to only a few at a time (based on what I've seen on interview broker).

Some geographic areas seem to be blatantly ignoring me, like San Antonio Tx... And Florida...and those aren't "top" programs so I find that weird.

I too am getting kind of nervous. I have only heard from 6/23 of the program's I applied to. Got a 254 on step 1 with no red flags in my application and strong letters. See a good amount of the schools I applied to have been sending out interviews, including 1 I did an away rotation at (which went really well). Just not sure when I should reach out to programs, not that I think it will make a difference I guess. I just hope some places continue to offer throughout the month

From browsing SDN, seems like the best time to start emailing programs is late October. It could also help to express your interest in certain programs to the PD at your home institution because they might be able to reach out to those PDs and make a bigger difference. The PD at my institution said that if we haven't heard from at least 8-10 programs by October, we should start applying to more programs, especially if you only applied to a certain tier of programs or a certain geographic area.

For what it's worth, I've gotten a few "late" invites from places that started sending out invites earlier in the month. And sounds like not all interview slots are full at most places yet, so they may just invite a few people at a time. For me, I know my Step 1 is a big limiting factor in my application so I'm hoping that some of my reach programs will offer me an interview once they've invited all of their "top" candidates. Never know though :(

Applied to 26 and got 14 so far....and same thing happened to me some of the programs that started giving out interviews in September I just received a couple of days ago

Is calling programs the norm? Sure there are a couple spots I would love to get invites from, but not enough to call them. Have I just been fortunate enough to the invites I want, or should I plan on calling some places to increase my chances?

How many interviews do most peds applicants attend? I know it varies based on aapplicant strength but assuming someone is a strong candidate with no red flags is 9-12 interviews typical? oR do most people rank 9-12 but attend more interviews than that?

I've heard that we should attend between 10-15 interviews and rank at least 10 programs. I was strongly encouraged to rank a mix of school types -- university, community, top programs, safety programs, mid-tier programs. And of course, don't rank programs you would be miserable at

What is your opinion on contacting a program and letting them know your interest? Say, if someone is from the east coast but they go to school in the midwest -- since it's not incredibly apparent where you're from on your application besides maybe where you did undergrad, would it help get outside of your med school's region if you were to email a program and let them know you grew up in the general area and would love to be back there?

One approach I've taken with some places that offered me an interview is to drop a line in the response email that points to my connection to a program/location. For example, I've stated that I'm excited to return to my alma mater or noted that I won't need accommodations since I plan to stay with a close family member. If this is a place that you haven't heard back from, it probably wouldn't hurt to reach out directly or have a faculty member from your school do so.

How many interviews do most peds applicants attend? I know it varies based on aapplicant strength but assuming someone is a strong candidate with no red flags is 9-12 interviews typical? oR do most people rank 9-12 but attend more interviews than that?

9-12 is probably plenty of interviews for the average peds applicant. You should rank every single program that you get an interview invite to, unless you'd rather not match than go to that program.

I have only gotten interviews to 3 places so far and I applied to 57. My scores are below average and I applied to a whole variety of programs but I'm starting to get worried 3 is all I'm gonna get and then have a low chance of matching.

I have only gotten interviews to 3 places so far and I applied to 57. My scores are below average and I applied to a whole variety of programs but I'm starting to get worried 3 is all I'm gonna get and then have a low chance of matching.

I'm not sure what kind of programs you applied to the first time around or if you have red flags on your application, but I would consider applying to more programs at this point. If your initial list was composed of mainly top or mid-tier programs, definitely apply to some low-tier, community programs now. Also, a lot of people will be canceling interviews soon, so you may hear back from some of the programs you initially applied to. Good luck, I know this process is rough :(

I'm a DO and have no red flags except my comlex level 2 was 405 (passing is 400). I applied to all the programs in the Midwest and then a bunch of others that were mid to lower tier so I expected to have some more interviews. I guess I'll apply to more programs.

I'm a DO and have no red flags except my comlex level 2 was 405 (passing is 400). I applied to all the programs in the Midwest and then a bunch of others that were mid to lower tier so I expected to have some more interviews. I guess I'll apply to more programs.
You should also talk to an advisor/PD at your institution about your situation. They can tell you which other programs to apply to and even call certain programs for you!

When is the right time to send an email to programs that you like that you haven't heard back from? Should this email be sent to the program director or the coordinator?
When should the trigger be pulled to involve letter writers and/or use other resources?
Just curious.

Anyone get any rejections yet? :nailbiting:
I think around now is when the first round of rejections usually go out. Now I'm going to be panicking every time I open my email :scared:

2 rejections so far: Nationwide and Medical College of Georgia.

When is the right time to send an email to programs that you like that you haven't heard back from? Should this email be sent to the program director or the coordinator?
When should the trigger be pulled to involve letter writers and/or use other resources?
Just curious.

Also wondering the same thing if anyone knows

Anyone else who posted a US IMG? I think I am a competitive applicant (243 step 1, 255 step 2, 3.9 GPA) but my set back would be that I am a Caribbean med student (SGU). I applied to 34 pediatric residency programs and have 7 interviews. I am thinking about emailing some program coordinators soon. Would appreciate any feedback on this!

any other invites? It seems that things have died down in past week for me. When (and if) is the next big wave of invites, do we know?

Applied to 153 programs (DO, Comlex only 515/604 with a failed PE first time...yay)

3 interviews, 2 wait-list, 30 rejections.

Yeah I'm starting to freak out.

Peds is becoming increasingly popular these days.. I have talked to a program director at one of the "good" pediatric programs, and he told my that his program received large amount of very good applications this year and based on his observation for the past 7 years as a program director, it is becoming more competitive every year!