Cali919191

Sep 16, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hi,

I posted this on another thread, I just wanted to know some opinions. So i got a 490+ on step 1 and a 606 on step 2. I did not take the USMLE. Like I said in the other thread, I wish these scores were reversed! Would make my life easier. I have a few questions

1) How many programs is too many programs? Most people I know are applying between 10-25 programs. I feel like that is much too little for my case because I did not take the USMLE.
2) Realistically, is my step 2 going to help me much?

Last edited:

Leggomyeggo128

7+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Not having a USMLE limits where you will be considered.

Apply broadly (30-40) to places that don't require it. Other than that, I would think you'll be fine. Nice improvement on Level 2. Good luck !!!

Cali919191

Sep 16, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Thanks! My advisor at school says that I should kiss my chances of going back to california away without a step 1. I'm prepared to handle that. Do you know of comlex friendly MD programs in other parts of the country?

About the Ads

oldbearprofessor

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hi,

So i got a 490+ on step 1 and a 606 on step 2. I did not take the USMLE. Like I said in the other thread, I wish these scores were reversed! Would make my life easier.

Don't agree. Higher Step 2 than step 1 scores seem common in pediatrics, we are used to it and programs may consider step 2 more strongly. I know of no evidence (someone point me to it?) that Step 1 is more predictive of residency outcome than Step 2. Also, going way down between the two would, in my opinion, be a bigger red flag than a slightly low step 1. YMMV.

Not taking USMLEs is a bigger problem, but nothing you can do about that now.

Reactions: 1 user

SurfingDoctor

"I'm having a wonderful time"
15+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2005
Omicron Persei 8
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Don't agree. Higher Step 2 than step 1 scores seem common in pediatrics, we are used to it and programs may consider step 2 more strongly. I know of no evidence (someone point me to it?) that Step 1 is more predictive of residency outcome than Step 2. Also, going way down between the two would, in my opinion, be a bigger red flag than a slightly low step 1. YMMV.

Not taking USMLEs is a bigger problem, but nothing you can do about that now.
Don't know if anyone has ever done Step 1 vs 2, though I would say typically, large differences between the Steps is less than common. People usually score within the standard of error between the two, though I agree, higher on 2 than 1. I also agree that not taking a Step exam is generally a detriment.

USMLE step 1 scores as a significant predictor of future board passage in pediatrics. - PubMed - NCBI

Last edited:

Cali919191

Sep 16, 2017
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I'm not sure how detrimental not taking a step exam is... I know many people from my school who applied to pediatric programs in the north east and got plenty of interviews with comlex alone. I guess we shall see!

About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.