do you have a constant urge to workout?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pmarank

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
for example right before a ball game...I just never feel like i worked out enough. rightnow i am benching 175 at my gym; i already did lower body, did a few sets of squats, and ran a 2 mile. I have been meeting with my trainer every single week. yet after doing all of that, I still feel "crap I need to lift more" or "i dont remember anything"... most weeks my weight still goes up but its a bit annoying lol

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, yeah I totally get where you're coming from. I'm the same way, but it's like that with me and sex. I'm pretty much having sex every night with different beautiful women every time. I put in some 1 hour sessions, some 2 hour sessions, and some quickies, but even after my weekly 3-way on Friday, I still feel like I need more sex. It is annoying lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
the gym is my second home, so yea

I work out 25/6....thats right, 25 hours in 6 days.

for example right before a ball game...I just never feel like i worked out enough. rightnow i am benching 175 at my gym; i already did lower body, did a few sets of squats, and ran a 2 mile. I have been meeting with my trainer every single week. yet after doing all of that, I still feel "crap I need to lift more" or "i dont remember anything"... most weeks my weight still goes up but its a bit annoying lol

benching 175? brah u on dat dere cell tech?

Sounds like you need to focus a little less on total body workouts and a bit more on intensive one to two muscle group workouts per day, shoot for 16-20 sets for each workout, breaks 60-120 seconds keeping intersity as high as you can muster. If ur diet is spot on you should see considerably better results.

oh, and yeah, I do have the urge to always work out.

Random coincidence thread. I just started feeling this way. In an effort to drop some vanity pounds for summer, I am now always feeling the urge to run. It's becoming my new obsession. Addictive personality? Maybe. Type A? ABSOLUTELY. MUST...ACHIEVE...!!

Sounds like you need to focus a little less on total body workouts and a bit more on intensive one to two muscle group workouts per day, shoot for 16-20 sets for each workout, breaks 60-120 seconds keeping intersity as high as you can muster. If ur diet is spot on you should see considerably better results.
16-20 sets per workout? That's way too much. Enjoy the overtraining and subsequent injuries.

Members don't see this ad :)
:thumbup:

i agree.

lift heavy. take a multi.

Do you consider yourself a condiment? I'm thinking there are some grey areas when it comes to your categorization. Also, what are your thoughts on Sriracha? And I don't want to hear some softball political answer. Air it all out.

So it's you that's using the same piece of equipment for 25 minutes. C'mon man. :thumbdown:

Do you consider yourself a condiment? I'm thinking there are some grey areas when it comes to your categorization. Also, what are your thoughts on Sriracha? And I don't want to hear some softball political answer. Air it all out.

i consider myself a fuggin human bean.

sricarcha is a product of VIETNAM!!!! THE WAR IN VIETNAM!!!!!!

you know what i think? I THINK YOU SHOULD GO BACK TO GREENBOW, ALABAMA.

..and thats all i have to say about that.

Moving to Ortho forum... ;)

I can bench 80 lbs. I'm a guy. I've done lots of hard swims in the ocean, and can run 10ish+ miles...but I still have no muscles. Its sad.

16-20 sets per workout? That's way too much. Enjoy the overtraining and subsequent injuries.

How is 16-20 too much? Let's say you do two muscle groups, 3 exercises for each group with 3 sets each... that would be 18 sets, and not seem like a lot. That shouldn't take more than 45min to an hour (unless there's hogs taking up all the freeweights/equipment). Unless we're counting sets differently?

How is 16-20 too much? Let's say you do two muscle groups, 3 exercises for each group with 3 sets each... that would be 18 sets, and not seem like a lot. That shouldn't take more than 45min to an hour (unless there's hogs taking up all the freeweights/equipment). Unless we're counting sets differently?

Eighteen sets of anything shouldn't take more than 30 minutes. Stop taking breaks.

16-20 sets per workout session. For example instead of 2-3 for biceps then 1-2 for tris then 2-3 for back then 1 ab then 1 oblique, intensively work out 1-2 muscle groups e.g.:

Chest and tricep day

3 sets bench press
3 sets incline db press
3 sets decline fly
3 sets over the head db tri extention
3 sets skull crushers
2 sets tri extention superset with
2 sets tri pulldown

total sets 19

Stick to the 8-10 range and you should get great results. Also this is not overtraining and unless your form is awful you shouln't get injured. I've done similar programs to this for years with no injuries.

Eighteen sets of anything shouldn't take more than 30 minutes. Stop taking breaks.

Good point. When I was at college or on athletics, I totally agree with you. Now that I'm in NYC, the gym is way too packed unless I go around midnight, and people don't have proper gym etiquette (not putting free weights back if you're not using them, trying to guard stuff they're "planning" on using).

I feel like pre-allo is the roaming ground for trolls, tools, and idiots. It is rather frustrating. :scared:

16-20 sets per workout session. For example instead of 2-3 for biceps then 1-2 for tris then 2-3 for back then 1 ab then 1 oblique, intensively work out 1-2 muscle groups e.g.:

Chest and tricep day

3 sets bench press
3 sets incline db press
3 sets decline fly
3 sets over the head db tri extention
3 sets skull crushers
2 sets tri extention superset with
2 sets tri pulldown

total sets 19

Stick to the 8-10 range and you should get great results. Also this is not overtraining and unless your form is awful you shouln't get injured. I've done similar programs to this for years with no injuries.
Yea that's still way too much. You can do half as much and probably get the same results while reducing the likelihood of burnout and injuries (both chronic and acute).
Everyone is different, so YMMV, but overall doing suggesting so many sets is not the best idea.

Yea that's still way too much. You can do half as much and probably get the same results while reducing the likelihood of burnout and injuries (both chronic and acute).
Everyone is different, so YMMV, but overall doing suggesting so many sets is not the best idea.

Not to digress from the OP but that is actually a great range for anyone who is a moderate to mildly advanced gym goer. You are going to have a very hard time stressing all parts of your chest without doing some sort of incline, decline and fly move. 9 sets per body part breaks down to three sets each of three workouts. However, if you are something of a beginner then this routine would probably be a little too much. I always say someone who never goes to the gym can grab two weights, do the macarena, and wake up sore the next day :laugh: Dont believe me? Just ask jay cutler how many sets he does!

Yea, I gotta go to the gym everyday to fit in at my future med school in August. Every med student at UVa is Fit/in great shape. I gotta maintain myself or else I won't fit in.

Sike. But seriously I've lost 35 pounds since freshman year and am now healthier than ever. I actually enjoy going to the gym and run/work out on a regular basis (like 5 times a week).

no, no i dont have a constant urge to work out. I have a constant urge to have sex, which typically occurs every 10 minutes.

Good point. When I was at college or on athletics, I totally agree with you. Now that I'm in NYC, the gym is way too packed unless I go around midnight, and people don't have proper gym etiquette (not putting free weights back if you're not using them, trying to guard stuff they're "planning" on using).

I second that! I do, however, find it hilarious when girls show up at the gym wearing 10lbs. of makeup just in case someone's paying attention to them as they "workout".
I enjoy working out, but I'm not fit enough to beast like most people on here. I can bench 75 (including the weight of the bar) and I'm very happy with that!
Also, P90X ftw!