Do you have a job while in college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kelo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im about to start college, and ill be able to get "living expenses"...

But I was just wondering if anyone has a job (full or part time) while in college.

And, if not, how are you paying to live?(like paying for food,clothes ect.)

I know a lot of people dont have a jobs while there in grad school, but what about undergrad?

I would like to be able to just go to school full time, and just use loans and such for living expenses, can I do this throught my undergrad and than through my 4 year graduate?

Members don't see this ad.

excuse my spelling lol, i was in a hurry. :laugh:

You could if you want, but the debt will keep piling higher and higher..

I know I'll be in debt when I start dental school so for now I'm trying to pay for undergrad with my part time job.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, lets just say I decide to go to college full time without a job throughout my undergrad and grad. total of 8 years....

Sure ill be in debt, but after I grad from dental school and start working as a dentist, ill be able to pay that money back in just a few years...Right?

I mean dentist's do make a decent salary :D

correct?

Well, lets just say I decide to go to college full time without a job throughout my undergrad and grad. total of 8 years....

Sure ill be in debt, but after I grad from dental school and start working as a dentist, ill be able to pay that money back in just a few years...Right?

I mean dentist's do make a decent salary :D

correct?

You have much to learn.

Don't act as if loan money is "free money". You will pay it back plus the years of interest that you have built up.

Dentist do have high salary's, but dental school can end up being very expensive (especially if you don't go to your state school). You could easily be 200,000 - 300,000 in debt when you get out. Then if you want to start or buy your own practice you will be even in more debt.

You need to decide- Med or Dent, otherwise you might end up in neither of them.

You need to decide- Med or Dent, otherwise you might end up in neither of them.
Pretty much what he said

And BTW it looks pretty stupid to have pre-med as your status with a dentist avatar lol

I have worked 20-30 hours throughout my undergraduate. Several of my interviewers loved that I have worked and did not have a silver spoon. I was able to relate to people on all levels. I worked jobs that honestly sucked and the interviewers had a similar experience in their days. They appreciated someone who has worked hard and has not been spoon fed.

Wait, that was 40-45 or was it 50 to 55 and had 22+ credits per semester and ... shoot I am too damn old to remember.
That's why you have had so much free time in dental school, everything is too easy, young sailor.

I worked 40+ hours all 4 years of my undergrad with about 15 credits year round. It killed me freshman year and my grades suffered BAD, but sophomore year I got the hang of it and learned to deal with it. I had to pay for all of my own stuff and I didn't want to have any debt after I graduated, so I just toughed it out. I would usually get about 4-5 hours of sleep a night and would only see my wife awake for about an hour a couple of times a week, but I gotta say it was rewarding. I think it's doable for anyone to pull off classes all morning and then work a part time for like 4 hours a day in the afternoon, then still have time to study after work. If that's what you gotta do, go for it. Although after experiencing it, I wouldn't let me grades suffer because of work if I could do it again. All the stress those crap grades from my freshman year probably aren't worth the hours that I worked instead of studying. Just know your limits.

And make up your mind quick, med or dent?

And make up your mind quick, med or dent?

Why? As long as you excell in school and shadow/volunteer in both, the decision doesn't need to be made quickly. Realistically, taking your time to know what really bests suits you is wiser. Coming out of high school, all one sees is the glamour of medicine usually. But there are othr things to consider. As you grow older, even if it is only a year or two after high school, your views on life begin to change and as long as you put yourself in a position to be able to have a choice, then waiting to decide between med and dent is favorable in my IMO.

Why? As long as you excell in school and shadow/volunteer in both, the decision doesn't need to be made quickly. Realistically, taking your time to know what really bests suits you is wiser. Coming out of high school, all one sees is the glamour of medicine usually. But there are othr things to consider. As you grow older, even if it is only a year or two after high school, your views on life begin to change and as long as you put yourself in a position to be able to have a choice, then waiting to decide between med and dent is favorable in my IMO.

Sorry, you're right, I need to qualify my statement. What I meant was, don't be wishy washy your entire undergrad and then try to get in all of your shadowing and preparing for both the MCAT and DAT a month before apps. I know too many people that weren't able to make up their minds and ended up applying for both simply due to indecision and ended up with 2 lackluster, half-hearted applications. And I think adcoms can tell. Come to a decision with enough time to comfortably prepare yourself for the application process and to get a strong app together that shows dedication to the profession of your choice.

If you want to work during undergrad, try to see if you can get a work-study job, that's what I did. The pay isn't that bad (depending on your job), plus you will have time every now and then to get a decent amount of studying done while you're at work. That's why they call it work-study.

Fortunately, I have a lot of scholarships working in my favor. I didn't work my freshman or sophomore year because I was putting 25-30 hours into athletics.

Then I realized that I needed money to pay to apply to dental school and that I would love to start dental school without any undergrad debt, so I quit my all time-consuming extracurricular and got a really decent paying job in a lab on campus (VERY LUCKY!!!!!!!!!) and put those hours into my job.

Once I balanced my job with my school, I took on a different high commitment extracurricular involving our local Children's Hospital. :love:

I think work is a great way to show your time management capabilities, earn some extra cash, and get out of debt. I'm proud to say I saved up enough to pay to apply to dental school! :D

I didn't work my freshman or sophomore year because I was putting 25-30 hours into athletics.

Uhhhh .... you didn't work? Practicing and competing a total of 25-30 hrs per week is definitely considered work.

I have almost all of undergrad paid for with a scholarship, but to make extra money I tutor athletes. I get paid like $7.50/hr. For the most part it is really nice because most athletes are too busy to show up for their appointments so 99% of my time at work is spent studying.

I worked throughout my undergrad, usually around 17-20 hours a week. It was a great experience (although tough) and I also had extra money.